• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My thoughts, too. I met him once on a secret mission to Seattle. He seemed like such a thoughtful guy who was much better than he gave himself credit for. And he loved his cat. RIP dude...

Just hearing about Xeno, and Gil.  I'd hired Xeno a couple of times for small jobs. He was smart, and very funny, although he would disagree with both statements.   I know his father had bee

@xen0phile, this morning.  Please don't refer to him by [real] name or mention this on social media, until his whole family's been notified.  This wouldn't be a good way to find out.   He ha

23 hours ago, remotevoices said:

Jo Cox. Today a British politician was murdered by a right wing racist fucking bawbag. These are dark and sickening times. We do not approve.

4 hours ago, gil said:

I was going to click Like, but it might give the wrong impression. I do NOT approve of murder as a political gesture. The problem is that this guy is probably going to be tried at great length, and finish up spending a few years in prison or a mental institution at our expense, and then be released among us again, at our expense. Unlike his victim.

My heart broke a little at Jo Cox's death. She was the same age as me, with young children. Those poor children who won't really understand..  She was one of the good ones, and there simply aren't many of them. It's seems hideously unfair. I've cried many tears for her, her family, and what this means to my country.

• Like 1

It is hard not to be permanently angry and distraught by the current state of the world, the constant political lies, the way that fear has been chosen as the most effective tool in the political arsenal. How that culminates in an event like this, which should be a defining moment, this should be the moment people say "woah, we've gone too far, lets be better people and stop this". But it won't, excuses will be made, denial will shrug its shoulders, the man who knew exactly what he was doing as he fucking murdered someone will be called an isolated case and as Gil says his trial will ultimately amount to nothing. We try to go about our lives the best we can, we have to go about our lives the best we can, but I am fucking sickened every fucking day.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Garage_Rubin said:

if that asshole

Hmm? The shooter who killed the British MP?

(Sorry, I think I'm getting confused by cross-posting here).

(I see you edit that you didn't mean the actor, BTW)

Edited by xen0phile
22 hours ago, xen0phile said:

Hmm? The shooter who killed the British MP?

Yeah, that guy.

I mean, everyone gets pissed-off, and some of us stay pissed-off for way too long.  Everyone has things turn out some way they didn't want.  But most of us don't reach for a *gun* when that happens.  That's it.  That's the difference.

I don't know which comes first, the shitty attitude or the skewed political beliefs, but it's probably neither.  I think the politics of fear and hate give the shitty attitude an excuse, meanwhile the shitty attitude actually helps the Wrong Sort of politician hone their oratory skills and gain a following [I'm looking at you, Trump.  Yes this one happened in the UK, but still].  And so they amplify each other, until someone with an emotional problem shouts `Banzai!' and goes after a nice woman who really had nothing to do with that mess.

So I'm with Remote in saying these aren't `isolated cases'.  This murderer, and every murderer like him found an excuse in something which already existed in society.  Take that spoiled kid wannabe pick-up artist for example, whose misogyny and grotesque sense of entitlement were fueled by -- the sort of trash wannabe pick-up artists are inclined to read.  Most of them don't go on a shooting spree, but they're still some pretty fucked-up ideas.

I've known people with some other, equally silly ideas about life [including me, maybe], who probably wouldn't hurt anyone either.

So think what you like, but watch what you do.  You have every right to your opinions.  Defend them if you must, and if you can.  You can hold your opinions as dear to your heart as you want -- but only if they're *less* valuable to you than a human life.  It's when someone starts talking about `acceptable' levels of collateral damage in pursuit of some cause or ideal, that I stop listening.

End rant.

Cheers,

Patrick.

• 6 months later...

Carrie Fisher

tiOH8ws.jpg

I do feel a bit awkward over pouring my grief into the collective ocean of mourning at celeb deaths--the same thing where some rando gets offed in, say, Yemen, and no one cares.

But, there it is. I *do* definitely feel it. When Bowie died, definitely.

I'm ambivalent about the whole franchise sometimes, but, you know, she's one of the famous ones we lost this year I'll legit miss.

• 7 months later...

Ric Flair isn’t dead yet, but it’s trending he’s in the hospital.  With pro wrestling, you never know how much is contrived, even with good intent, and how much isn’t. 

All I can say is, of the (arguably) great wrestlers of that time, Savage and Piper have already passed.  In the older man contest that leaves Hogan aside from Flair.  And I’m, cough, old school.  [Have you seen pictures of Bobby Heenan lately?  That’s fight.]  What I’m trying to say is, Hogan cannot win.

So, explain to the young people what a spine buster can be worth.  For what it’s worth, I might know someone who knows someone who could arrange something in Japan, if Flair could switch out his contract.  The girls in Tokyo are pretty, I hear, in the hot weather, and very experienced.  The kids, even there, love him I bet.  Maybe even in Korea.     

For crying out loud, Jake the Snake is still alive, and what sense does that make?

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Koko the signing gorilla died today. I thought I had posted some critique of the science/the aim of the endeavor of Koko's humans, but I can't find it now.

Shoddy aims by h. sapiens or not, I generally have positive feelings toward her and the remaining few 100K g. gorillas.

Here is her with another famous primate:

Edited by xen0phile
  • Sad 1
  • 2 months later...

I'm not celebrating his death, but I'm not really mourning him, either.

Apparently Mike Cernovich is running? not sure how you can start a run two months before the election, but that's what I heard. I'm scared we'll get Jan Whatsis who's pals with all the private prison folks, or Sheriff fucking Joe.

On 8/26/2018 at 8:55 AM, xen0phile said:

John McCain has died.

A lot of my leftist friends celebrating his death, but I just can't muster any hatred for him, even with Palin, even with Iraq.

Um. I suppose AZ will elect some hardcore Trumpist to replace him, now. Alas.

I am reminded of what the rabbi said to us when my wife's sister died.  Whatever people say about her, in your head try and hear 'we are so sorry for your loss'.  I am sorry for the McCain family's loss.

Regarding Arizona, don't count them out.  Since 2016 you have seen a really young Hispanic population become bigger and politicized.  Midterm turnout is lower by half in most years but this year the Latino turnout is expected to be very large. 

Yeah, AZ has some minuscule chance of going blue this year, although I have my doubts. I did my primary voting for the "right" candidates, not the ones most likely to beat a Republican though, so we'll see who winds up where… ¯\_()_/¯

And I managed a RIP for McCain even if I swear the brain tumor was making half his decisions for him in the last decade or so. Was a little shocked at how many people were all "The wicked witch is dead!" too. o_O

I'm not celebrating McCain dying.

But, also, RIP after staying alive for so long thanks to a healthcare system that you actively worked to deny to the people you served. 
This trend of "remember them as good people" quickly becomes viewing the past/past actions of influential people through a Vaseline-coated lens. 

On 8/26/2018 at 5:55 AM, xen0phile said:

A lot of my leftist friends celebrating his death

LOL, I guess I should clarify that the Internet ideological taxonomy is such that I'm more properly termed a "liberal" than "leftist". Like, I'd be put up against the wall just like the rest of the class traitors (or whatever the term is for enemies) if tankie sorts were to ever have that power.

• Like 1

I made this video in light of multiple suicides of my game developer friends and colleagues, and others in depression, and contemplating suicide.

In this podcast I'll be attempting to discuss some serious topics, including the suicides and deaths of some of my friends in the game and game development community. Many of my friends and colleagues in nerd, geek, and adjacent culture have been succumbing to depression, self-harm, contemplating suicide, or taking things out on others. This really breaks my heart, and this video is me trying to confront this tragic reality, deal with it myself, and perhaps help some of these guys out there who are in a bad place by sharing my story.

I'll be opening up about my experiences with bullying, isolation, and depression throughout school, being a virgin for 20+ years, feelings of inadequacy, hopelessness, lack purpose or direction. A lot of the things which a lot of younger men are dealing with now, and how I ultimately came to a better place, doing what I love (making video games I am passionate about, and are creatively fulfilling), with a woman whom I adore, raising two amazing kids, and have never been happier.

Remember, there is hope! 

(WGB also plays an important role in this video)

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...