The WGB
Sign in to follow this  
db

Show us your...

RemoteVoices pinged me on twitter so I could check this thread specifically. Black cat lovers unite!

Always have been a dog person here, not to say I don't like cats, I do, but never got a relationship as deep as I ever got with my previous dog.

Until last year, where being alone most of the week at home, I realised I would like some company. I scouted cat rescue organisations around and met different felines, until I "met" Zed, probably 2 years old, hidden between the bed frame and the mattress of her rescue family, that no one wanted because scaredy cat + black cats mean bad luck. Instantly fell in love with her tiny shrimp derpy face.

She spent the first week hidden in the coats or behind the fridge, to the point I was scared she really couldnt adapt to her new home.

I guess that time is long gone now :

aKCMhPA.jpg

R2CB4Ty.jpg

A6Pw4hR.jpg

• Like 7

Felt what I thought was some matted fur on Smokey a few days ago. I finally got a good look at it, and it looks like a scar :(

On her chest, under her right leg (a not-easy-to-check spot).

From the brief glance, it *looked* like it was healing up, but also, before I noticed it was a scar, I also *thought* she smelled a bit. I may have been mistaken, and it didn't smell *bad* (whatever it was), but I'm a bit worried, anyway, because normally she doesn't smell like anything at all (because she's a cat).

I would brush/wash it clean to make sure it's not infected. If the wound is hot or swollen and discharging, get her to the vet for a look-see.

• Like 1

Wound is still there, but I think/hope it's improving. I'll post a pic of it if I can manage to grab one.

Meanwhile, here she is happily snoozing on the picnic table support this afternoon:

28696585491_489b69bb6b.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah. Thankfully it's healing up on its own.

How much are these sort of vet bills, usually? I'm sorry to say, once it goes into the high three digits, it's not something I can do.

My dad, I know, *could* afford it, but he's a cheap jackass with regard to vet bills: once, back in the 1980s, our dog got attacked by a bear, and he wouldn't take the dog to the vet. (The dog, thankfully, healed on its own).

I mean, if I get this job, then I can lavish all sorts of medical bills on the critter, but right now, I'm making all of $3000 per year.

Also, now I'm worried that whatever did this is still out there (raccoon?), but, alas, she is an outside cat (thanks, again, dad).

Honestly I'm not sure. Ilya Kovalchuk got a gash on his neck late on a long-weekend Friday (where he has that bit of white fur on his neck), and I called the Emergency vet and she said not to worry unless it got hot/swollen and appeared infected (EM vets are wicked expensive and I was a bit skint at the time). He ended up being OK. He had all his shots though. Does Smokey? (I don't even know if cat shots include something like tetanus so maybe it doesn't matter!!)

Normally a visit is somewhere between $50-$90? and then extra things are added on to that. I would expect a visit with wound treatment and maybe some antibiotic cream or pills wouldn't top $250 and could be half that, but I don't have specific experience with that treatment. Also depends if it's a fancy vet or not. You could call a vet and ask and they could check for you, too. 

One thing is that if she obsessively licks it it might take longer to properly heal. I would try to keep her in until it's solid.

IIRC, the problem with lacerated cats is that their skin heals faster than underlying tissues, and that can sometimes turn into an abscess.  If it smelled okay, and stopped draining *before* closing up [if it has closed up already], then she should be good to go.

Cheers,

Patrick.

Yeah you need to kind of keep an eye on it. The cat is usually pretty good about keeping it clean, but there can sometimes be a problem with infections.

What you really need to look out for is a change in behaviour. If a cat starts to become lethargic and stops eating for more than 24 hours, go to the vet straight away. 

• Like 1

CAT UPDATE:

Cat is doing fine. Her scar isn't even visible anymore  (unless you look real close). She's presently asleep for the night, snuggling with my parents.

I'll post more cat photos if I remember to take them!

• Like 3