The WGB

Guess I should fill in the first bit with non-spoileriffic babble, so it won't show up in the Activity tab...

Overall, this series really appeals to the Milton fan in me, and none more than this recent episode [titled `A Priest Walks into a Bar'].  It addresses a lot of my doubts about Christianity, while at the same time one of its basic assumptions is that yeah, there is a God.  So I kind of wonder what Christians would think of it, but I'm a little afraid to ask.  Lucifer's anger at God over what happens to the priest reminds me of something Mz.Clean told me once, about something that happened to a family member.  I won't say what, but she was justifiably pretty pissed-off about that, for a long time.  Maybe she still is, sometimes, but has it pretty much under control now.

So anyway, some idle speculation about upcoming episodes; I'm still willing to bet Det. Decker is his only vulnerability in this world -- that it only hurts when she slaps him, that bullets only make him bleed when she shoots him and so on, just as she's the only one who's immune to his devilish charm.  So I still think the undead cop and Amenadiel [the angel who resurrected said cop] are in for a surprise, when he finally gets around to shooting Lucifer.

...Or maybe a near-death scare will give him further insight into the human condition.  I mean, why not?  It worked for Jesus, didn't it?

And I still hope things *won't* go the classic [cliched] irritation > attraction > romance route with Lucifer and Chloe Decker.  Luckily, it still doesn't seem to be going that way.  Besides being the oldest trick in the book, as TV series go, it just doesn't work, imv.  Their relationship seems built on mutual respect and personal boundaries -- boundaries which have *never* stood in this character's way before, I should add.  So I think those boundaries should stay there.

Cheers,

Patrick.

Edited by Garage_Rubin
  • Like 1

Hmm, okay.  I was going to hold off and let someone else get the first word in this time, but...

This episode wasn't what I'd expected, although I did like it.  With the title, `Pops', I was expecting more of Lucifer's daddy issues, and maybe the undead cop would finally get around to shooting him [which also goes `pop'].  But the overbearing dad / rebellious kid thing was addressed indirectly, and the undead cop had some other things to do first.  Anticlimactic, but still pretty good.  Come to think of it, this character seems less like a devil to me, and more like a prodigal son, so this episode, a near-literal retelling of the original `prodigal son' story, was a nice little detour.

I also liked the symmetry between this episode and the previous one, where Chloe had been a good friend to him.  This time he was a good friend to her, despite having tried to get into her pants up until that moment.  The edging toward something besides friendship kind of bothers me though; still hope it's not going that route.

Lucifer's effortless ability to screw things up for the rest of the natural world, despite his good intentions this *one* time, was great.  :-)  I liked Chloe's mom, and wouldn't put it past him to... never mind.  The glammed-up kid walking into the bar was also so wrong, on so many levels, that it was actually kind of cute.  Nice to see Maze's clumsy first efforts to make new friends, too.

Guess he's mortal for real too, since he got burned.

Cheers,

Patrick.

• Like 1

Okay, this one's just a guess about a future episode.  So if I'm wrong, no harm done, but if I'm right it'll be a spoiler to *anyone* except maybe the film crew.  So...

Spoiler

The title for the next episode is `St. Lucifer'.  So the way things have been going lately, between his doubts and existential crises and actually having some *depth* to his relationships now instead of just using people, as well as the `prodigal son' theme in the previous episode, *and* the angel's plot to kill him, thus sending him back to Hell to do his job -- I suspect he will get shot and fatally wounded.  But while he's still alive he'll seek redemption, accept Jesus as his personal saviour or something, or at least give the impression that he has.

Then Amenadiel will be all like "No, wait!  Shit, you can't do that!  We can't let you back in, man, and I am *not* babysitting the damned for the rest of for-fucking-ever.  Fuck no," and then will be forced to heal him.  ;-)

Remember that trick with the slow-motion bullet a while ago?  Like that.  Whether Lucifer says "Gotcha" or not afterward, whether he says "Gotcha" and actually *means* it or not afterward, I leave as an exercise for the reader.  He's been doubting his previous behaviour enought lately, to just possibly be just a tiny bit sincerely repentant.  But he's still more or less 90% smart-ass.  ;-P

I'm probably wrong, but maybe I'm not.

Cheers,

Patrick.

Edited by Garage_Rubin

can't help but feel that the version of "pops" you saw was different from the one i saw. one i saw was entirely about the father/son thing, to the point where lucifer became a broken record. but that is lucifer, self-obsessed at every step.

as for your injury theme - not giving it much thought or concern - but if i were i might suggest he got burnt saving her... so she was still the key factor.

no episode this week?

• Like 2

BTW, thanks for asking;

19 hours ago, remotevoices said:

no episode this week?

Until you mentioned it, prompting me to go look it up, I'd just thought the aforementioned torrent guy was delayed because he'd [she'd?] had trouble obtaining a copy.  Could have spent the whole week checking for something that wouldn't show up 'til *next* Mon...

Cheers,

Patrick.

Huh.  I guess this does belong here too, kind of...

Regarding the dialogue clip at the end...  This might be a strange way to thank someone for being such a good friend to me [you know who you are], but I do mean it.  Thank you.  I'm not worthy.

Okay, it's Mz.Clean.  :-)

Cheers,

Patrick.

Right, guess I'll get the first word in again...  But I'll try not to say too much [even in a spoilers thread].  Go ahead and fill in whatever blanks you want.

This one didn't just amuse me, but actually made me laugh, several times.  It might have gone a little too far into sitcom territory for some people's tastes, but overall I think they're still doing really well.  Watching Lucifer trying to be charitable, and getting it wrong at every turn reminded me of that scene in `Bedazzled' [the real movie, from 1967, not that piece-of-shit remake from a few years ago], where Peter Cook's Satan drops by Heaven to ask about getting back in, saying things like "Look, I even gave that poor git his soul back.  Aren't I virtuous?" and so on.

Looks like I was right about Chloe and gunshot wounds, but the way it was revealed was better than I could have imagined.

Still don't want these two getting together, and I hope that's not the way it's going now, but it might be.  Some of you probably already know I'm projecting, or transferring or something, with this; I want these characters to remain `just friends' partly because Mz.Clean only wants to be a friend to me, and I really appreciate her friendship.  So in some strange way, having them become a couple would violate that, to me.

Actually, it would probably only break the association between their fictional relationship and my real one.  Most likely I'd keep liking the show, and keep identifying with the characters, but in a slightly different way.  It still seems wrong to me though, for other reasons [already explained in the first post of this thread].

Cheers,

Patrick.

hm, i guess you might be,projecting-

I am noticing a vast difference between the show and the comics- mind you i have only read the first two- I am curious if they are going to end on the same note-

As for the psudeo romance- If it happens I will drop it like a twilight novel-

I kind figured they where going to pull the Zoe is the only one that can hurt the devil bit-

You have to figure this will be fun for Morningstar- Because he is who he is- He still has his satan power cause you can't change the genes-

I am however curious as to why Chloe is the only one who can hurt him- I am waiting for another cliche to ruin it for me-

Edited by Noirjyre
hm did even realize i wrote her name wrong-
  • Like 1

...On the other hand, just think how many ways a romance with Lucifer could go sideways.  Now *that* would be fun to watch.  8-)  It still wouldn't sit right with me, but I'd probably be too busy giggling to worry about it much.

Thanks for not saying too much about the comic, btw, which I haven't read any of yet.  Is her name Zoe in that?  It's Chloe in the series, just wondered.  I wasn't even sure if she appeared in the comic at all.

Also, I'd like to see more of the resurrected cop.  He was just starting to get *really* interesting there, so I hope that wasn't his final scene.  I thought the not-freaking-out thing was pretty slick, anyway.

Still can't decide if that wing against the windshield was funny or dumb.

Cheers,

Patrick.

On 2016-04-14 at 8:28 PM, Noirjyre said:

hm, i guess you might be,projecting-

Well, let's just say Mz.Clean was really understanding and supportive, when I had to have those wing... uh, teeth pulled a while back.  ;-)  And I don't like to show anyone my nastier side [which was a little *too* close to the surface at the time], especially not anyone I like.

On the other hand, it's kind of a rare treat to find someone who truly deserves the worst I have to offer.  The rarer the better, imv.

Cheers,

Patrick.

Edited by Garage_Rubin

Wow.  That one was disappointing, although there were some nice touches, as always.  Did their best script-writer get hit on the head or something?  Yes, I will be sticking around to see if he's recovered by next week's episode.  And I did say I hoped to see more of the resurrected cop, but not like that...

At least the two main characters aren't an item, at this point.  Far from it.

Cheers,

Patrick.

Edited by Garage_Rubin
Where did that strike-through text come from? I didn't put it there...

Yeah- kinda saw that coming that whole playing with mortals thing never really works out very well- If you are going to play with mortals make sure they are not psychopaths- Cause that will always bite you in the ass- Tho I am curious how Amenadiel being about since the beginning of creation wouldn't realize that his desperate measure was going to blow up in his face-

It was kind of funny watching the brothers have a little tussle-

There was already a wild card with Chloe, now you have a psycho cop who figures he can toy with angels.

He will mostly likely fail but, he'll fubar Lucifer's fun before he does-

Edited by Noirjyre
wouldn't you like to know-
  • Like 1

It just didn't jibe with anything I'd seen the characters do so far.  Sure, I could see the `Det. Lazarus' doing some weird shit, especially with his shiny new get-out-of-hell-free card, but...  Really?  That?  I'd expect him to keep eating any- and everything in sight, maybe `loving life' in some socially awkward way -- maybe in Lucie's nightclub [could you imagine him showing up there?  Out of place much?].  I could even see this episode happening later on, with more prior stuff leading up to it, but...  I don't know.  Whatever.

Cheers,

Patrick.

PS:  Figured out where the strike-through text came from.  I'd referred to their script-writer as `(s)he' [except with squared brackets], and the board software read the `(s)' as formatting markup.

Hmm, just checking...  [Did that using (i)italics(/i) markup, btw.]

Cheers,

Patrick.

I didn't 'til you mentioned it.  Then I thought he'd done a cameo as the high priest, but no [would have been cute if he had, though].  *Then* I got the joke.

Thanks,

Patrick.

Well so much for his daddy issues... I didn't expect him to have mommy issues too....

But at least he's made nice with his brother.

• Like 2

yeah, suddenly looking around and looking at the massive mess you've made will do that to an angeal- i suppose-

I can understand why Lucifer was ready to be done with it- On parts of his vaca he did help people, and it started out kind blowing up in his face- Not to mention his idea of punishment is more absolute, than the humans he is around-

And he still has reset button-

The crazy undead cop bit- i did kind of see- Just not ending the way it did-

And i found the knife bit a little too convenient-

but then I am refusing to think too hard on this, and am just being entertained-

• Like 1

15 hours ago, striv said:

Well so much for his daddy issues... I didn't expect him to have mommy issues too....

Yeah, just in time for Mother's Day.  :-)  Actually, I'm thinking Lucifer's not the only one who has a problem with Her.  I mean, She's never mentioned in the Bible, not once.  And when a guy never, *ever* mentions His ex-wife, the former light of His life, mother of His children -- like, not at all, never, not even in passing; flat-out denies her existence -- well, you know there are some unresolved issues there.  I'm looking forward to this.

BTW, when does the next season start?

Also, anyone know if they're releasing a soundtrack album or something?  There's been some *great* music in this, some of which I'd have no idea where to look up [and Tom Ellis's full rendition of `Sinnerman' can't be found *anywhere* else].

The thing that bugged me about Det. Lazarus in the previous one was, the heat was off.  He had his get-out-of-Hell-free card, no reason to keep doing all the same desperate, fucked-up shit he had been; the source of his desperation was gone.  At least, there was no reason that seemed obvious at the time.  Maybe there should have been something about his family life going completely sideways [ I had been curious about that], and his craving for -- well, pretty much everything -- going out of control.  Before that he'd seemed pleased with, and satisfied by copious amounts of whatever sensual pleasures he could lay his hands on, especially food.  I hadn't seen a desperate need for more, and more, and more of it, 'til this episode.  He just seemed grateful to be alive again.

In this one he was desperate and fucked-up, and had good reason to be, but in the time between I just couldn't see much of a motive for it.

Lucifer's `Go ahead and shoot' speech was painful to watch -- I mean, because it was that excellent, and showed such feelings of betrayal that it actually hurt.

Cheers,

Patrick.

Edited by Garage_Rubin
Fucking italics this time... I didn't put them there on purpose.

52 minutes ago, Garage_Rubin said:

Also, anyone know if they're releasing a soundtrack album or something?  There's been some *great* music in this, some of which I'd have no idea where to look up [and Tom Ellis's full rendition of `Sinnerman' can't be found *anywhere* else].

Okay, never mind.  Found it.  :-)  Here's a whole playlist [contains 70 tracks].  And a sample...

[From the chase scene, ending with the biker jumping off the roof.]

Cheers,

Patrick.

PS:  Would still be nice to hear the full version of his `Sinnerman' cover...

Edited by Garage_Rubin