The WGB
Judgmentfish

Things Spotted on a Reread

Into my fourth read, it somehow just occurred to me that Netherton winds up in Putney at the end. Putney is the location os the rehab clinic Lev wants to send him to earlier in the book. The last chapter is titled Putney to, I think, underscore that he's had the procedure done to cure him of his alcoholism.

Had not caught that until now.

Have you spotted things you missed in earlier reads?

hmm, a parallel between that and pattern recognition?

netherton is very much informed by the idea of his alcoholism, one might say it overwhelms his character to quite an extent. while cayce's condition is more intriguing and informs the plot. though she too ends the book, in theory, with her condition changed.

I think the implication of the last chapter is that as a result of the procedure, Wilf has been brainwashed.

That's what WG is hinting at when he says the book does not have a happy end.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ArkanGL said:

I think the implication of the last chapter is that as a result of the procedure, Wilf has been brainwashed.

That's what WG is hinting at when he says the book does not have a happy end.

Oh, very interesting. I rather thought he referred to the way in which Flynne and her people had been subsumed in the very thing they fought, that corruption and the "funny", in whatever form, would get every good person in the end, whether they knew it or not.

But this also works, I think, in conjunction. We eventually become part of the system we fight, despite our best, say cyberpunk-like, railing against. Systems always win.

I assume he actually told you, yeah? So this is semi-official even though he doesn't like to necessarily weigh in on what readers take away.

Edit: Your explanation also explains the underscoring of the chap title. Yeah, makes sense the more I think about it. Hadn't caught that he was sober the first few reads. Room 101 and Clockwork Orange, but happy, like Disneyland With the Death Penalty.

Edited by Judgmentfish

He alluded to it. I don't remember exactly.

Earlier in the book, when he mentions the clinics and Lev's brother, doesn't he say that there's something wrong with him?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ArkanGL said:

He alluded to it. I don't remember exactly.

Earlier in the book, when he mentions the clinics and Lev's brother, doesn't he say that there's something wrong with him?

I'll check as I go through. On page 167 of the ARC, I have not yet seen that. He does say how very much Anton, the brother, didn't want to go to the clinic. I can definitely see it having kind of "subdued" him, mentally/psychologically. Not angry anymore. No shooting Peris because they dance better than him.