The WGB
Sign in to follow this  
Garage_Rubin

What did YOU learn today?

When at work, if there are different workshops named after the bands Muse, One Direction and Coldplay, you're expected to roll your eyes and say "Come on, this is a joke : One Direction is just mass production entertainment crap and certainly not as good as Muse and Coldplay, they don't belong here !" .

Actually it will make awful, very hard to heal wounds on flesh, rather than burns, and if the wound reaches the bone it will demineralize it and possibly cause permanent damage. Not something to play with, at least not with a lot of calcium oxalate paste. It will not hurt at first, so you may get a serious case without noticing.

There is a global inititaive to exile it out of laboratories, as it causes a disproportionate number of injuries. We did, a couple of years ago, though it is still used in a couple of industrial processes, for concrete setting accelerators. Very fast setting sprayed concrete, the kind giant tunneling machines spray around themselves to keep the tunnel just made from collapsing on them.

• Like 1

On 2017-06-30 at 2:37 AM, Psychophant said:

Actually it will make awful, very hard to heal wounds on flesh, rather than burns, and if the wound reaches the bone it will demineralize it

I assume you're talking about hydrofluoric acid, and yeah, good idea to avoid it.  They used it to dispose of a body in and episode of `Breaking Bad'.  My post was actually a direct quote.

Cheers,

Patrick.

Today I learned that my daughter can and will wax poetic about the delicious smells coming from the pot on the stove and STILL reject the food once it's put in front of her to eat.
:/ 

• Like 2

On 2017-07-10 at 7:38 PM, TwiliteMinotaur said:

[...]

Goddamn reality plagiarizing my sci-fi again!!

You and Blomkamp both, brother...  And Verhoeven makes three.

Cheers,

Patrick.

I learned that eBay gets janky at the 10 second mark. Tried to snipe a fat bike and literally failed to enter a bid 3x in a row before it closed the session because it wouldn't let me finish typing the number before clearing the box. 😡

A guy I’ve known since 2003 got married.

I was friends with his super fun gf in 2003 and then he broke up with her a couple years later to be w his new gf in another country.

I was friends with the other-country gf bc I didn’t grasp the timing right away. But a very nice girl! they were together for more than 5 years, maybe even 10 years? and she really wanted to marry and have babies and he really didn’t.

Predictably, he ditched her when he found a new gf (from yet another country) a year or two ago, and left her utterly devastated. This time the timing was evident, and ugly.

So I can’t help but wonder when he’ll find his next gf, because evidence of my eyes over the past 16 years is that he will cheat on her with the next cool woman he finds on a Radiohead message board.

(And we’re so intertwined socially I can only talk about it frankly here. He’s a “nice guy” but the absolute worst boyfriend ever.)

• Sad 1

"Serial monogamist" is what my therapist would call him. Despite the cheating, that was her term for somebody that moved from one relationship right into the next.  He is really taking it to the next level by moving countries for each one :)

I'm guessing he really doesn't want to be alone, so he stays in a relationship far past its sell-by date to line up the next one.  He might not even realize what he is doing (not that this makes it better).  I saw that pattern start to develop in my own life with the first woman I dated after my marriage so I ended it with her and set out to be single for a bit.  It turned out the be a short time until I hooked up with the Girl, but my therapist's advice convinced me I was at risk of becoming that guy.

34, never really been in a relationship. IDK.

It actually doesn't bother me that much? There are other things in my life I am *so* much more disappointed with myself over than being an adult virgin. (like, being 34 and having a net worth of -$50K )

"Serial monogamist" is what they call Hugh Grant in Four Weddings and a Funeral, LOL

It's the cheating on the current woman with the next woman part that bothers me. I mean if I had been the previous gf who is now late 30s and never had the family she really wanted to have because she fell in love with the wrong guy, that wouldn't be my biggest problem, probably! But luckily I'm not. And a woman who goes with an attached guy is just asking for her own future humiliation, and being part of someone's cheating is a Bad Thing in my book.

I don't know. It's all very sad, to me.

• Like 1