The WGB
Sign in to follow this  
Garage_Rubin

What did YOU learn today?

Holy shit, this is actually a thing.

From the Wall Street Journal, ffs;

Death-metal vocalizing is also known as Cookie Monster singing, if not in tribute to, at least in acknowledgment of, the "Sesame Street" puppet that blurts in a guttural growl, his words discharged so rapidly that they tend to collide with each other.

All this was news to people at Sesame Workshop, the nonprofit organization behind "Sesame Street." "We have nothing to do with it," said Ellen Lewis, vice president of corporate communications. "What is it?"

"It's a whole new thing to me," said Frank Oz, who originated the voice of the Cookie Monster. "I've never heard of it."

Most death-metal vocalists don't seem to mind the term. "We think it's funny," said Angela Gossow, lead singer for the Swedish band Arch Enemy and one of the few female death-metal vocalists. "We take ourselves too seriously."

Huh.  I guess you really do learn something new every day.

WTF,

Patrick.

• Like 1

Okay.  Sorry about the stuff they got wrong, then.

True or not, I loved the part about how;

"The Zen of Screaming" is a favorite of extreme vocalists.

Cheers,

Patrick.

10 minutes ago, Garage_Rubin said:

Okay.  Sorry about the stuff they got wrong, then.

Oh no worries. We're all nitpicking nerds about something, right ;) 

• Like 2

As a great primatologist once said,

Female [humans] don't give a damn who has the biggest, reddest ass or the loudest bark.  Female [humans] like males who are *nice_to_them*.

Well duh.

Okay, he was talking about baboons, but this one's pretty universal.  And I'm thinking maybe that's why my fitness routine went to shit; found being nice more effective than being buff.  Also somewhat time-consuming, so I didn't have much time left-over to push heavy things around.  Been thinking I should get back to that though, for my own reasons, because being in better shape actually *feels* better.

Cheers,

Patrick.

This is from `Community';

tumblr_inline_nma8neyGzj1qlxo0f.gif

My penis is confused now.  At the time I honestly thought a woman had played Satan in that clip/animated GIF.  An attractive woman.  An attractive woman with a -- a shaved head [discovering the wonders of Sinead O'Connor and her music, at the tender age of 16, warped me for life, btw].  I was beginning to suspect, after seeing how the dean dresses sometimes, but didn't want to believe.

Oh well,

Patrick.

I'm slowly beginning to understand what people mean by "real job"

For years I worked in comics and press as a subeditor: you know, correcting, checking facts, checking images, looking for mistakes and errors in the pages, and if that comma is at the right place. Also translating.

The real world usually stopped listening after comics and assumed I was playing with Mickey Mouse and Scooby doo all day long = not a real job.

While it wasn't rare I would finish an article at 4am so my colleague could send the files to print. But hey, what do I know.

Since 6 months I'm working in an ONG with educators as a communication & administrative assistant for my "day job". I go from one meeting to another, writing briefings, playing with indesign or their soon to be born website. True some of the people I meet or work with can be stressful but I don't feel like it's a real job. Yet this time the real world will validate this as a real job.

Real world is confusing.

Edited by Digitalyn
  • Like 2

Very cool! Playing with InDesign is always fun (sez the ex-IT dude at a DTP house for 20 years), although I jumped to Flash, Blender & multimedia a few years back and don't get to do it so much anymore. :-/ Also, we had a deep respect for the proofing, editing duo at the DTP firm. They saved our bacon *so* many times!

Today, I learned to always keep checking if you destroyed the mesh you're editing in Blender. Moving the wheels on an A-10 model into the flight position and somehow destroyed the mesh. It looked like termites had been gnawing on it. Termites partial to star patterns, in fact. Naturally, I noticed well after saving so had to redo the entire process again… I *think* it all comes down to not accidentally shoving the interior of one piece of mesh through the exterior of the overall mesh, but I can't even be sure of that lol.

EDIT: Also, always tighten your seatpost to maximum allowed torque value if you don't want it your seat suddenly rotating back 20° and scaring the hell out of you mid-ride…

• Like 1

8 hours ago, heavyboots said:

Very cool! Playing with InDesign is always fun (sez the ex-IT dude at a DTP house for 20 years), although I jumped to Flash, Blender & multimedia a few years back and don't get to do it so much anymore. :-/ Also, we had a deep respect for the proofing, editing duo at the DTP firm. They saved our bacon *so* many times!

Hah those are words I'm happy to read. Had to find a job in a total different area in which they really don't see to care about accuracy and getting answers like "no we does not care about grammer" (in french mind you) was really saddening.

EDIT: Also, always tighten your seatpost to maximum allowed torque value if you don't want it your seat suddenly rotating back 20° and scaring the hell out of you mid-ride…

Can't help but picturing this and breaking into a giggle fit, I'm a terrible person.

• Like 1

I have something I need to learn today....  Does anyone know the best way to send money from Canada to the U.S.?  Trying to work out a payment method and wondering if there's something other than Paypal anyone has used.  Thanks.

Depending on amounts, Paypal is probably the easiest way.

If it's a substantial amount, then a bank wire transfer may get you a decent rate (or may not!).

Yes, Paypal. 

Interestingly enough, a Canadian Paypal account will let

you connect to an American bank account as well as a

Canadian account. American Paypal accounts won't let

you connect to any foreign accounts. You can't

connect the accounts all at once, though.

I'm generally a nice person, but not always.  Denying that is not healthy, mentally, emotionally, spiritually -- and now, physically.  My mean streak has taken me where I needed to go, on more than one occasion, and I should be grateful for that.  It got me through childhood more or less intact.  Later, my rage and righteous indignation when Mz.Self-Destruct got turfed-out onto the street after her brain injury -- into a dangerous and chaotic environment, right when her ability to adapt was compromised -- that did a lot of good.  It needs to be focused, controlled, and by all means kept *away* from the people I care about, but trying to muzzle it will only cost me more teeth [interesting as a metaphor, if literally more painful than it needed to be], and eventually, my life.

`Let's be bad guys.'

Cheers,

Patrick.

My disability insurance through insurance i had through work- Has to pay me money as long as i have kidney disease- they have it down that they will pay til 2047- heh-

• Like 4

For the important stuff, spend a little more.  For random little peripheral things, sure, just grab whatever works, but not the main components.

Actually, what I found was that returning items through Amazon is much smoother than eBay.

I'd recently bought some more-compact phone chargers off Amazon.  10000mAh / 10 amp-hours apiece [really, what's up with all the extra zeroes?  They're not fooling anyone].  They were quite good, but when charging off an A/C adapter, they would cut power to any connected devices, and had to be manually switched on again after A/C power was disconnected.  This is probably a safety feature, so an upstream power surge won't fry your devices [although a decent A/C adapter should prevent that], but it will *not* supply stable power to a running device, and certainly won't help with unintentional power interruptions, let alone the intentional ones.

Within a few minutes, I had a return parcel label, and they've already been mailed back.  No questions asked.

Meanwhile, the other day I started the ball rolling to return a Raspberry Pi from eBay.  It arrived from China, DOA.  Seller hasn't responded yet.

The same item is available through Amazon, and ships from a vendor in North Van.  Just ordered a replacement.  Lesson learned.

Cheers,

Patrick.

• Like 1