The WGB
Sign in to follow this  
heavyboots

The Exercise Thread

Haven't posted in the old thread in forever, but got a 3rd place on Strava today, thanks to the Great Pumpkin I acquired on Halloween.

Pic of said Great Pumpkin below:

5ID8npbHuTw680MgCmxn2tIMKVscdJDHFaPyVke8

I've had the week off, so I've done a few rides. 26mi on Sunday with the Old Pueblo MTB club, 32mi with the Fast Fixie guys on Monday, took Tuesday off to see Star Wars and basically 20mi today on the Urban Assault loop. PRs largely due to equipment upgrades though. Struggling a bit with weight; have crept up to around 192lb from 185lb this year… :-/

How all y'all doing on staying fit and healthy?

• Like 4

Honestly, I don't name bikes. They're all "it", not "she", etc. But yeah, this one I got right before Halloween and it's so incredibly *orange*, so it is kind of a great pumpkin. Still just the Epic WC on Strava though.

At any rate, did the New Years Day ride at Fantasy Island with about 75 mountain bike peeps. Crazy rush-hour traffic type slinky effects on a single track trail as all the people at the head of the line slow down for a big dip or turn and people 4 turns back come to a complete standstill because of it. It broke up after a bit though and ended up finding my friend Irene and doing about 25mi total. Here's the License Plate Tree at the end of the Bunny Loop. I'll post up a picture of full group at the start if I can ever find it lol.

jOzx4oHwtciryTHZoULHWfg4Wd_GW7yH8800Zac2

EDIT: OK, here's about 90% of the group getting ready for the ride start photo. I'm in the front on the orange bike, just putting my my foot down. My friend Cassi is just to the right on her $10k SWorks Era. She's a pretty decent mountain bike racer at this point!

12487084_1079483065417831_34006604552076

And here's multiple photos of practically every person on the ride. (I think I'm in there about 3 times for some reason, lol.)

Also, I apparently almost did some variant of π miles in 2015. If I'd known, I would have ridden another tenth of a mile, damn it.

WXTayVZ.png

• Like 4

I wrapped up last year by doing bupkis for the last two months - I did uproot / plant vegetation around the farm (ha! 1/4(?) acre pizza wedge, actually, with some massive rocks), but no gym/rides.

i don't do resolutions, but I do need to build up my cardio capabilities and am going to get back into concept2 to support the team, of course.  I'm a member of 2 gyms ffs, I oughta use 'em.

• Like 1

Sunday's mountain bike ride — 33mi with the Old Pueblo MTB gang on the Urban Assault loop. I rode from my house and did it twice basically.

Good times (barring a few surprisingly sharp cactus incidents)!

• Like 1

Jesus Christ, I need to wake up earlier: I sleep until noon a lot since I rarely get called into work. But then it gets dark between 4 and 5 in the afternoon because it's winter, so it's a bit more dangerous to go jogging. So I get no jogging in on those days. :(

Eleven sumo deadlifts -- kind of.  Vacuuming under the treadmills is a lot easier with some help, but Mz.Clean's really busy these days, and I'm sure she couldn't make it on such short notice [technically still on the payroll, but these days it's more of a minimal/on-call thing for the free gym membership].  We're expecting an inspection any day, btw, and that was on the list.

Cheers,

Patrick.

I switched gyms a while back and worked out a more flexible work schedule. Back to lifting heavily, big protein breakfast each day and light lunch. 

I'm still trying to rein in my dinner portion but doing well there too.

Two weeks now I've been talking andro and I feel pretty good. Def feel stronger. After this I do a month of mostly cardio and then another month of andro. 

• Like 2

I switched gyms today, from Virgin's budget Xcercise For Less back to my old place, now owned by the health charity, Nuffield. 

Much better facilities. Had a good hour cardio on bike/x-trainer & running machine whilst watching the FA Cup football.

Finished with a beautiful session in the steam room and a mocha in the cafe lounge. Good to be back.

On 31 December 2015 at 5:44 AM, heavyboots said:

I've had the week off, so I've done a few rides. 26mi on Sunday with the Old Pueblo MTB club, 32mi with the Fast Fixie guys on Monday, took Tuesday off to see Star Wars and basically 20mi today on the Urban Assault loop. PRs largely due to equipment upgrades though. Struggling a bit with weight; have crept up to around 192lb from 185lb this year… :-/

How all y'all doing on staying fit and healthy?

Great looking Specialized, but not much rear sus there!

Love my old Rockhopper. Bought 3 new innertubes last week to fit on my GT i-Drive. looking forward to getting back on the trails in the Summer after some gym cardio to start me off. There will be pics.

• Like 1

So the last year has been interesting.  I still like lifting weights and added a lot of size on in 2017, not all of it good.  I topped out at 252lbs around January. This was also the time when my sleep apnea was at its worst.  Essentially, after 2 years or so of not really sleeping I was starting to deteriorate.  I was using stimulants to keep moving during the day, lifting, and eating a lot of protein.  I had started to hallucinate during the day and was not able to drive by the time my wife finally cornered my neurologist and yelled at him until he figured out the problem with my bipap machine. 

I sleep now, don't require anything like the level of caffeine I needed before just to function and my weight has dropped to 240lbs, which is comfortable for me.

I still lift 2-3 days a week, today was the first leg day I have had in some time though.  I was squatting a whole 135lbs (basically nothing for most guys my size) but I was happy with how I felt.  I was next to a young guy I see in the gym a lot.  He had about 400lbs on the bar and was all suited up, compression gear and straps.  Then he moved to deadlifts and was pulling about 800lbs, dropping the weight to the floor with each rep. 

I joked with the owner, a former bodybuilder himself and about 10 years my senior that I was going to see if I could "work in" with the guy, meaning do sets with his weight while he rested.  He laughed and said he hated it when people dropped the weight.  From my point of view if I could lift 800lbs off the ground I suspect I would drop it also rather than hurt myself gently lowering it.

Anyway, feeling pretty great most of the time.  At 43 years old I think that is OK, I am strong and healthy and most days nothing falls off, which I am very thankful for.

Edited by editengine
  • Like 2

I made a commitment to myself last November (well, like, again...). I was tired of being tired and I was tired of having a sore back all the time and sore feet all the time. I was over it. 

It's been over a year now and I've lost over 80 pounds. I turned 30 weighing the least I had in my adult life! I feel really awesome - lots of energy, strong, able to keep up with my kids all day. I'm wearing the smallest size clothes I've ever bought and it is WEIRD! But great. :) 

• Like 2

YAY!

I am sore as fuck at the moment.  Leg day always sucks but I also kind of like knowing that it means I did some good.

Here Dorian Yates explains why it hurts and makes you happy at the same time.

Edited by editengine

I really wanna respond to that with a "gun show" gif from Logan Lucky, but I can't find one, damn it!

Had a nice 10mi 45 minute mountain bike ride last night. And 40 of those minutes were dry even, so I was just barely reaching "soaked" status as I pedaled furiously up to the car.