The WGB

So on the old board we had threads for a bunch of individual creative topics. I figured it might be a good idea to combine them into one and just have one place to talk about our creative efforts. 

To kick-off, i've been working on a text-adventure engine in javascript. You can find the source files here on github here: https://github.com/david-alliet/textadventure For now there isn't much to it, you can type in stuff but the parser basically only understands "help" and "inventory" for the moment. More will be added soon though. The engine will be used for a still unannounced website project (which i'll probably talk more about when it happens). 

• Like 3

I've been trying to draw quasi-realistic spaceships in Blender (FOSS 3d-rendering program) for my Eclipse Phase (science fiction pencil-paper RPG) campaign.

xVyoSl.jpg.4883fad87adfbdf6ecc903090c435

I've just drawn the cargo spine and reactor area so far. It looks like a bong :/

5683479aa8993_Screenshotfrom2015-12-2918

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ArkanGL said:

Coincidentally, I've been contracted to develop an interactive illustrated story.

I intend to use Twine

It's going to be a mess.

I've been pleasantly surprised by how easy it is to code a basic version in vanilla JavaScript. If Twine is too much of a mess, perhaps you can consider doing the same (or just use what i'm making ;) ).

8 hours ago, xen0phile said:

I've been trying to draw quasi-realistic spaceships in Blender (FOSS 3d-rendering program) for my Eclipse Phase (science fiction pencil-paper RPG) campaign.

If you ever need help, I may be of assistance? I've been tinkering with Blender for a couple years now semi-seriously (although not @stitched seriously)… o_O

2013-10-31 SAS Panel Orthographic Composite.jpg

22 hours ago, Wanderer said:

To kick-off, i've been working on a text-adventure engine in javascript. You can find the source files here on github here: https://github.com/david-alliet/textadventure For now there isn't much to it, you can type in stuff but the parser basically only understands "help" and "inventory" for the moment. More will be added soon though. The engine will be used for a still unannounced website project (which i'll probably talk more about when it happens). 

May I recommend Inform 7. It's a free adventure creation engine at Inform7.com. Lots of platforms, very full language, creates Infocom z files AND, for your purpose, can create a web page with javascript adventure playing engine. I'll be publishing my first text adventure since 1991 in the next Mythaxis.

Thanks for the suggestion Gil. I'll take a look at it. Although for the project i'm working on i'm not really looking for a super detailed out-of-the-box solution but more for a lightweight solution i have a 100% control over and that i can have interact with other elements in a browser environment. Which is why i'm rolling my own in JavaScript.

Ok, I can't guarantee Inform 7 could "react to other elements in a browser environment", and I cannot offhand think how it could. The z file interpreter is called Parchment, which is also written in Javascript, and you might be able to modify that. The code is probably in github somewhere. The rest of Inform source is creative commons.

I've also looked into Twine, which is based on web-pages, but, as a text adventure veteran, I can't bear the thought of navigating a game via multiple choice options. It has to be a proper parser!

After that point I'll be either going into full time game development or full time 9-5 work.  I've had a year of part-time day job and working basically the rest of the time on the game (minus family time).  But I'm going to need to start making money from the game in the next few months or I'm going to have to fold up shop.

I mean I can still work on the game on the side but there will be hardly any time / mental energy left for that.  So it's now or never.

Oh, is this related to your employer sorta begging you to take over a vacant position--a position which is a significant elevation in pay (but, presumably, also, responsibility)?

Sorry, I always forget biographical details of friends' life events :(

(Got like 250 people I'm Facebook friends with--okay, not all of them "friends", but then not all my friends are on Facebook, either. But, anyway, way over my Dunbar number :( )

I may get the job offer again but it more has to do with financial constraints that are going to run out for this game development endeavor, and so I'll need a full-time job, if I can't get a revenue stream.

It's part of being an adult, unfortunately!

But whatever happens at least I can say I gave the game development thing (as a commercial business) a best shot, and thereby not be a resentful old office worker for the next decade!

• Like 2