"The WGB" on Slack

Chris H

After we maxed out Twitter this afternoon so that I couildn't add more people to the conversation, I have set up a channel on Slack where we can hang out and share stuff like Zoom conversations privately. I've sent out emails to as many people as I have emails for, but if I've missed you and you want in, give me a holler.

• Like 1

Privacy apart, Slack has, for me, similar problems to Twitter, so I am afraid I have just stopped following. Too much work finding the grains among the straw. 

It will be great for setting up meats without telling the whole world, however. But the rest just seems what would have been on twitter.

And I know it is mean, but I would really like the option to mute some people.

So I will be checking once a day for messages and mentions, then once a week and in a while I will stop looking, as nobody has a reason to mention an absence.

I guess one big question is what are people looking for from Slack vs board? How do folk engage? It was good to see a rush of joining the slack, but suspect we're down to the same dozen people after a point.

Maybe we do need to focus more of stuff like planning zooms, at least on certain channels. Get the engagement/support structure that folk are looking for. With the isolation of events those are all good things.

I am happy for the general/random chatter, good to engage regularly with old friends. But that i expect isn't what most are hoping for?

For me it is a matter of perceived signal to noise, as what I consider noise is signal to others. So in the same way Twitter became an impossible time sink for a compulsive reader, Slack quickly became impossible to follow without a high investment in time, if you really need to follow it all. A binary response, I know, but I am finding myself less flexible as I age.

A second factor is that the crowd in Slack is mainly the twitter community that grew up the last 12-15 years, so mature enough, and not a nostalgy haven for a board that effectively died ten years ago, even if we are playing at being a small village of indomitable gauls, but probably just feelingnostalgia for who we were twenty years ago.

There is definitely a factor of no WGB can be the classic WGB.

Too much has changed in how the Internet works, the rise of phones, of social media. Of how we process/interact.

I think most of the active slack crowd are the same people who were there, because we all recognise and know each other. But yeah, we've all changed.

• Like 2