The WGB
xen0phile

This is Bad News!

"The Islamic State’s ability to electronically spread "ideas that lead directly to terrorist attacks,” wrote a professor of law at The University of Chicago, "calls for new thinking about limits on freedom of speech.""

Ugh: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/28/us/isis-influence-on-web-prompts-second-thoughts-on-first-amendment.html

My knowledge of US Politics is quite shallow, but I would say it helps a lot for the Republican primaries, specially against Carson, and probably not at all for the real election. 

I suppose that as soon as he has the nomination Trump will suddenly work to be much less scary and much more presidential. As a spectacle sport, I am looking forward to POTUS Trump. In my opinion a painful but necessary step in the break up of "Politics as usual".

England has opted to leave the EU. I say England because Scotland and Northern Ireland overwhelmingly wanted to stay in. It was a shock. Frankly, I didn't expect such lunacy. Whatever our quarrels with EU bureaucracy, it was our job to stay in the organisation and try to reform it. Scotland will probably now secede from the UK, destroying centuries of unity. Other countries may now agitate to leave the EU, and Putin must be rather pleased this morning.

My reason for being in the EU were never commercial, although much of the chatter prior to the vote was on scare stories about the economy. True, I'm poorer than I was yesterday, but I think that my generation was the first since the Roman occupation (300 AD) not to be at war with one or more of our European neighbours. Squabbles about the Common Agricultural Policy and Fisheries Policy are preferable to having tanks on each others' lawns.

Big Mistake.

• Like 2

It's an atrocity, as you say, but, in addition, there is politics here - the Kensington and Chelsea Council being dominated by Conservatives, and the residents' association by Labour. There are individual animosities at work as well, and, I'm afraid, criminal accounting practices and ambulance-chasing lawyers. It's a shocking mess, and the public inquiry will probably drag on for years - decades - and will cost far more than it would have cost to put the building in order in the first place, except it's the British tax payer that will fund the inquiry, and the building will still be a ruined shell, and the surviving residents re-housed unsatisfactorily. Already, the 'loyal opposition' (ie those parties not currently in Government) are using the Grenfell fire as a stick to beat the Government with, and the repercussions for Brexit of a weakened leadership are too dire to calculate. I despair.

I could not have believed the shambles that BREXIT has descended into. I thought it would be an expensive mistake - now, I have no words to describe it.

• Like 2

The problem is that it has reached a point where there is no good solution. No matter the result a sizable number of people will feel robbed of their agency (that word, again), which is a key point in the move away from democracy.

From a selfish point of view, six more months where we do not need to fill customs paperwork for all the products we send to UK. Six months without UK-REACH, and a few months without daily updates from the freight companies and the European Chemicals Agency.

The first hurdle, EU elections in UK. That will be as funny as a slow mo traffic accident, seeing what is coming and unable to change the course in any way.