The WGB
Sign in to follow this  
ArkanGL

Gibsonian

IMDB has this as "What Happened to Monday" 

I thought it might be a Reznor/Ross soundtrack, but it's listed as Christian Wibe, whose work I don't know.

• Like 1

Publishing House Phishing Warning

Penguin Random House North America has issued an alert to staff following a spate of global phishing scams attempting to access agencies’ and publishers’ manuscripts and other sensitive information.  

The UK arm has been similarly targeted, with fraudsters posing as literary agents and foreign-rights staff from seemingly legitimate email addresses. Macmillan has confirmed that it has also been targeted by scammers trying to access manuscripts and has reportedly issued an internal briefing to staff.  

I wonder if some fan is so desperate to get the delayed manuscript of Agency that they are willing to use black hat tactics. Alternatively, someone values so much his futuristic abilities that they need to see what will be the next cool item before it hits the shelves, virtual or otherwise.

• Like 1

Saw this on Reddit. Apparently Rome has massive, insane flocks of starlings. This is from Feb 22nd, 2018.

The sky was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel…

image.thumb.png.9964622eb8e035420d88a29bbc40e435.png

I am getting the Girl and the Kid on to signal to replace imessage for our family chats.  In part this is security related, I am certain that Apple would have no issue with selling off content of text messages and I am not interested in offering them something of mine to sell.  But also, I can set the Kid's phone to notify her of Signal messages while still blocking other content and texts.

Does anybody else use signal?  Opinions?

• Confused 1

I've been using it for more than a year, since we got our tech geek helping the Congressional campaign. It's annoying on desktop because it updates constantly (so you have to close, re-open, wait for your shit to load a couple times a week it seems), but it's more secure than slack and you can have similar group discussions and share photos and documents etc. I like how you can have multiple threads (much like a message board) to help keep track of various things. The only problem is when for whatever reason you want to kick someone off a thread, you can't: they have to leave, or you can just abandon it and start a new one. But that's not likely to be much of a problem with family stuff.

Sometimes there's a bit of discontinuity between my mobile and my desktop, and sometimes messages come in jumbled order, but most of the time it's super smooth and reliable. I like how you have the same stuff basically seamlessly between all your devices.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, editengine said:

I am getting the Girl and the Kid on to signal to replace imessage for our family chats.  In part this is security related, I am certain that Apple would have no issue with selling off content of text messages and I am not interested in offering them something of mine to sell.  But also, I can set the Kid's phone to notify her of Signal messages while still blocking other content and texts.

Does anybody else use signal?  Opinions?

Apple actually does take issue with selling your content or reading your mail, Edit. In fact, iMessage communication is encrypted end-to-end so they literally cannot do what you're suggesting they're doing? I didn't dig too deeply but in 2016, someone was concerned that Apple could still dig your iMessage traffic out of a the iCloud Backup service, but they've also done a lot to further tighten security since then, so that may not be true anymore.

I am uncertain exactly how you've arrived at the idea that they're selling your information, but unlike Google, Yahoo, FB, etc they're the only ones not doing it AFAIK, which is why I'm currently in the midst of the arduous process of transitioning all my email traffic from Yahoo (I never really used GMail) to iCloud…

Having said that, it certainly doesn't hurt to use a privacy-conscious service like Signal, regardless.

15 hours ago, heavyboots said:

Apple actually does take issue with selling your content or reading your mail, Edit. 

Apple is a company like any other.  As soon as the economics favor selling your data they will find a way to do so.  For now they find more value in a brand identity that features privacy, but with the recent hits to their profitability they may find mining such data to be too lucrative to ignore.

But using a sep app for family messages also appeals to me for practical reasons.  We lock down the Kid's phone pretty hard, and a family-only app that I can whitelist to message her any time could be practical in other ways.

Technically correct. Three things though—your iMessage communications are currently encrypted end-to-end, they'd have to change the TOS and inform you of the change before they could undo that and that would make huge waves in the news, and that's certainly not the direction they're heading in currently.