Save the Date

db

I hope that all you guys will be coming to visit Pigkilla and me when we've settled in in the California desert, but meanwhile, we are planning to be back in Vancouver for a week in August for my birthday (also, my cousin is getting married that week).

So if your travel possibilities include Vancouver in 2016, please consider being here Wednesday, August 17, because there will be celebrations of my half-century.

:whoa:

• Like 6

On 12/23/2015 at 1:10 AM, db said:

So if your travel possibilities include Vancouver in 2016, please consider being here Wednesday, August 17, because there will be celebrations of my half-century.

When will you be back in California? Because that's about the same time we'll probably be over there (and i doubt we'll be able to do the flying up to vancouver thing this year).

9 hours ago, Wanderer said:

When will you be back in California? Because that's about the same time we'll probably be over there (and i doubt we'll be able to do the flying up to vancouver thing this year).

We'll be back in California the following week.

Also around the week before, and the week before, and the week before...  

We'll have to meet up with you guys when you're around fo' sho'

Hopefully the dates'll work out.

• 3 months later...

On the "Come see us in California" topic, I will note that the kitchen is done.

We have a guest bed of sorts, and lots of yard if you are a camping person and want to camp (we don't have equipment for such though); we're also quite near Black Rock Campground in Joshua Tree National Park.

The house is not totally awesome and done yet (only a few rooms are, but they're important ones!), but we are in a position to welcome people, as long as they're not expecting the Ritz: it's not all as nice as our Vancouver house was after the second renovation, but it's certainly better than the Vancouver house before the second renovation! for those of you who knew it back then. And much bigger!

So if you're not allergic to cats, come see us :)

• Like 3

It is still on the planning stages, and we usually never do the holidays we plan in Spring, but as this year I also will be celebrating my half century we want to do something special. Unfortunately due to my wife's work we can take holidays only in August. Two of the possibilities we are discussing fit very well with this.

The first is to take the Trans Canada train, probably from Toronto, but after many listenings Barrett's Privateers and desiring to see Quebec we may go an extra mile and start at Halifax. That would mean ending at Vancouver and flying back home from there.

The second is a road trip through the US West, mostly a list of National Parks, but also including Las Vegas and maybe A big Californian city. Joshua Tree National Park was in the preliminary list, but there is a lot of ground to cover and too many things to do.  That requires a certain fitness, renting a car, and more paperwork than Canada, but it is one of those things that will get harder to do as we age.

There are other options on the table, such as a 2.000 km car drive to the far North in Norway, the Simplon Orient Express (we like train traveling), New Zealand, or remaking some of our part trips at the luxury level instead of backpacking, but these two are the only ones that will probably get us closer to wigbers, except maybe Scotland.

So any advice, recommendations (even if it is just "don't do it, it is a tourist trap!") or arguments to push my wife in one direction or other, it would be good. Just remember we are no longer young, not very fit, and willing to pay to avoid strenuous efforts.

• Like 2

The Canadian dollar is still pretty low, so while the train through Canada is pretty expensive, and hotels in Vancouver in August are shocking, this year is a good time to go to Canada, I'd say.  On the other hand, ArkanGL won't be in Vancouver in August (although I understand that Lord Carrington most likely will be), and he tends to be instrumental in coaxing WG out to meet Wigbers from time to time.

• Like 1

After some weather checking, my wife has totally vetoed my desert road movie in a convertible, in August. NZ and AU are in winter, which is quite attractive for us.

On Thursday evenings (so in the middle of the night for us) there are supposed to be big offers in Canadian trains. We will be checking those the next weeks.

However since we looked up the Caledonian Sleeper and some of the luxury trains in the highlands, we may well end up doing a rail holiday closer to home.