What are YOU playin' ? (game thread)

I never liked much Paradox strategy games, though I have Stellar and tried Europa Universalis. However a historian blog I follow had an interesting critique

These days I am trying to get into some of the games I got during lockdown. GRIS is one of the most beautiful games I have ever played, both image and music. And non-violent, except emotionally. To compensate I got several post apocalyptic isometric games. The expansion of Underrail, The Expedition, and Wasteland 3. Dark humor, hard choices and a bleak future, that fortunately happens to very small models, so the violence seems less gruesome. Starting the last stage in Wasteland 3, I expect to finish it this week. Other games I enjoyed in this post-apocalyptic mind set were Mutant Year Zero, a reskinned X-com without the base mechanics and Borderlands 3, closer to the original than Borderlands 2. I also got Metro Exodus, the third in the Metro series, but I quitted after getting stuck at a certain point. I will probably get back to it when I finish Wasteland 3. Outside the post-apocalypse I really enjoyed the mix of fantasy and renaissance in Greedfall, an Indy RPG with quite good graphics and an interesting mechanic for firearms. I got quite involved in the story and finished it quite fast. 

It seems my 2015 laptop will not be able to handle Cyberpunk. I got it partly to play The Witcher 3, so it may be time to get a new one. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Woohoo!  First Youtuber to react to Neofeud!  And he picked up on the H.R. Giger influence as well!   EDIT: So Kathy Rain was great but moves at a pretty glacial pace (relative to action gam

On a random note, if any of you were ever interesting in trying Dirt Rally out, it's free to play this weekend! And on sale for $18 since Dirt 4 comes out next month.   I just played all the

Has anyone signed up for Mez's beta? it's called All the Delicate Duplicates.

Posted Images

I will try it before buying a new one. Christmas and post-Christmas would be a good moment to get a big rebate in prices, though this year is a bit strange. 

Getting to what seems like Wasteland 3 ending. No plot twists, no big surprises.

To approach it fresh I have taken a break (I try to starve my obsessions) and I fired up Pathfinder Kingmaker, a strong transposition of the pen and paper RPG, to test the recently implemented turn based combat. It seems backward to leave the smooth flowing simultaneous combat as the PC allows, to go sequential, an artifact of the limitations of human minds. But it helps slow humans beat the AI, so maybe that is the reason. I do not see any other benefit, as fights take longer and feel less realistic... Or maybe it compensates the weakness of the character's AI compared to other games.

On 9/25/2020 at 8:18 AM, xen0phile said:

Fuckit. I'm doing "Eclipse Phase". Here's my wiki with the elevator pitch: https://boomzilla.io/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

It can be a kinda weird/hard-to-wrap-your-mind-around setting in some ways, but I love it.

I'm mostly hitting up friends on Facebook, but @s.smigiel (or anyone else interested), feel free to hit me up here, or wherever else on the net :)

Yeah, I'm down.

Downloading the Quick Start rules as I type, will look them over this weekend.

Let me know.

• Like 1
On 9/26/2020 at 1:18 AM, heavyboots said:

Has anyone watched Crusader Kings 3 on Twitch. Holy crap is it beyond complex. I've been following the streamer Etalyx's game with quick jump cuts through his old streams (mostly because he's streamed like 100 hours of content so far and he's maybe 1/3rd done with a single game as near as I can tell). At any rate, it's crazy and amazing and all politics and intrigue and what religious system and political system you have. And who you ally yourself… and how you train your children… and what traits you try and imbue in them. Etc etc etc. Most complicated thing I think I've seen from a gaming perspective, lol.

Dwarf Fortress is probably still a bit more complicated ;)

I've played quite a bit of Crusader Kings 2. I will probably pick up CK3 at some point. It's true that it is a very complex game, but once you've learned a bit about the interface most of the complexity becomes self-evident. From then on it's just a matter of experimenting to see how different systems work with each other, and really that's half the fun of it. CK2 is actually much more complex, because it has years of DLC piling on more and more features. So even though CK2 is free to play now, I wouldn't recommend it to new players. 

• Like 1

So I went ahead and bought Art of Rally for $25 on Steam. It's actually really gorgeous, runs on Mac, Windows or Linux and is just kind of relaxing to drive through and admire the scenery in.

This guy talks about what a hard-core sim it is under the hood, but TBH, there were only about 4 tracks over the course of the entire Class 2 series that I ever had to repeat (and I was repeating because I would get 4th not 1st) on Normal Difficulty).

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2020 at 6:15 PM, xen0phile said:

*Finally* getting my fucking bachelor's degree this December. Fucking 35 years old. I've wasted so much of my time, fuck.

Job hunting in January, hooo boy, that sounds great.

hah! wrong thread, sorry

The semi-lockdown that soon will become a full lockdown is good for computer games. I have spent the week playing the Outer Planets, an Obsidian game with a short plot, a Fallout NV feeling and a Borderlands setting. Short and sweet, though a bit too short for me, and the fake sandbox is obvious. Quite good visually and I really cared for some of the stories. Much darker than it seems. 

The previous week I had been playing the original Fallout throwback Wasteland 3, much shorter than 2 and without the feeling of freedom. Nice visually and well balanced, the decisions matter but you cannot shake the feeling of being on rails with several exchange points to decide the end result. 

Now replaying the Shadowrun series, Xcom type skirmishes joined by a linear plot. 

Too much linearity, both in games and in my own mental preferences. I suppose it is a reaction to the uncertainty outside. 

‘Genshin Impact’ like everyone else, but since you don’t really have to buy anything yet, I’ve started purchasing the soundtracks instead.

And unlike the clever, who have set the game to Japanese where it plays better, I have mine on Mandarin.  There might probably still is localization, but I try.

And the character of Paimon, which is a bit different in each language, is more of its own take in Mandarin.

This is the way of the future for anime:   Game set to English interface but the audio is in the original language plus subtitles.  It makes a difference.

So my first save file for Red Dead Redemption 2 was like Nov 3rd, 2018(!!!) and I finally finished the damn game off this weekend, lol.

Amazing story, amazing world, but so very, very many things to get distracted by. I think I spent most of 2018 starting out on a mission, getting distracted by an animal crossing my path or a dude on the side of the road or whatever and ending up 50 miles away on the wrong side of the map from the quest, with like 10 pelts on my horse and no way to get back without dying in some outlaw gang attack… Glad I persevered though, it was good to know what the heck happened to everyone. Be sure and pay attention during the credits too, as they wrap up a lot of the little side stories (and even link RDR1 & RDR2) via little vignettes sprinkled into them.

• Like 1
On 11/16/2020 at 11:43 AM, heavyboots said:

So my first save file for Red Dead Redemption 2 was like Nov 3rd, 2018(!!!) and I finally finished the damn game off this weekend, lol.

Amazing story, amazing world, but so very, very many things to get distracted by. I think I spent most of 2018 starting out on a mission, getting distracted by an animal crossing my path or a dude on the side of the road or whatever and ending up 50 miles away on the wrong side of the map from the quest, with like 10 pelts on my horse and no way to get back without dying in some outlaw gang attack… Glad I persevered though, it was good to know what the heck happened to everyone. Be sure and pay attention during the credits too, as they wrap up a lot of the little side stories (and even link RDR1 & RDR2) via little vignettes sprinkled into them.

oh, damn, same issue with GTA V for me

• Like 1