The WGB
ArkanGL

What are YOU playin' ? (game thread)

These days, I'm playing a lot of Destiny on PS4.

A few long nights let me reach level 30.

The latest updates and extensions make the game a lot more interesting.

It's still extremely repetitive, but I don't mind. It's a game about shooting generic monsters in the head, repeatedly.

The lack of on-the-fly team-building for the story mode is a real shame. None of my friends play this game, and I could do with a couple of wingmen during missions.

The game has no problem matching me with random players for the mandatory-multiplayer sections. So why not have an option to let us do that for the campaign content?

Rocket League. Also, Rocket League with DLC content. And a bit more Rocket League.

...for offline guilty pleasures, there's always Android: Netrunner.

I would not impress Immortan Joe through any of these two, but I am having a great deal of fun in the process.

Wrapping up Fallout 4, just to see all the End games. For now I have the Minutemen ending and will soon complete the Brotherhood. The Railroad/Institute one was blocked by the Mass Fusion elevator glitch but I have advanced close again.

Probably will play the Witcher 3 extra content to clean up the palate before trying another First Person game. I got a couple of older games I got cheap. Alpha Protocol because it is Avellone, and Metro Last light, as I liked the first one even if it was fully on rails. 

Jonesing for PC Master Modder Race nostalgia I reinstalled a few different freeware versions of Doom, GzDoom, FreeDoom, Boom, Groom, Schloom, Loom and this thing called Zandorum, and finally got Brutal Doom Version 20 revved up.  (Totally thought that was a typo for 2.0 but it REALLY IS VERSION 20!??!11tf?)  

Holy shit, the creator was in the gamedev version of godmode when he made this thing, which is a euphamism for unemployed and drip-fed an IV of Monster/espresso, because damn if this isn't the best First Person Shooter I've played in my demon eviscerating, ceiling-painting life.  And by paint I don't mean just blood splatters the Phobos station walls with 256 color decals, I'm talking Direct Mothafucking X 10 small intestines hanging like Christmas lights, blood dripping like ultraviolent snowflakes upon the Space Marine's open mouth.  There are 10-second cutscene FATALITIES to make Mortal Kombat blush, involving pulling the Cacodemons eye out of its head, which can then be used to BLUDGEON imps to death with.  As the posessed, immolated soldiers beg for their life, you can pick up their broken hellish bodies and use them as human shields whilst AKIMBO-PLASMA RIFLING down platoons of barons from hell.   (Which makes no sense, but then you realize you're playing a game where Gwar-concert versions of hellspawn are invading a goddamn Martian space station)

And then it takes it up a few more magnitudes.  I don't even have the time to elaborate on all the mindblowing improvements and added features here but I didn't even go into the FUCKING STEALTH SYSTEM.  YES A STEALTH SYSTEM IN DOOM THAT FUNCTIONS WTF!?!?!?!??!

Sometimes you wonder, being 32 with a stable 2-kid family, a regular pattern of adulting in jobs and tax returns, unable to understand this touchscreening, fruit ninja-ing and angry bird tossing crap, whether you're just becoming Teh Old and nostalgic, re-installing these games that were invented before resolution high enough to see microbes, "STORYTELLING!" and fucking *computer mice*, let alone fondling one's screen like a virtual kitten.  

And then you play a modded game like Brutal Doom and remember, no, you're actually right.  It was a Golden Age.

I'm all Doomed the fuck out, and now I have late-stage tinnitus in the ear, arthritis in the wrist, but a deflated inner existential rage.  Thank you Doom.

Now on to something completely different, possibly, which is... not sure but maybe Deus Ex mod or a pre-beta version of Shardlight or something.

Forza 6 on the XBox I got my brother. I just love racing sims. Here's me derping around the Nurburgring in a van.

23974450701_5ae86b5c34_b.jpg

If anyone else has Forza, feel free to look me up (username: UnfairFunfair). We could do some WGBer matches over the Internet, even! (I'm hesitant to do a competitive racing sim with strangers--seems like too big of a risk to have a lot of trollish shit like ramming).

I have a few other racing sims on my PC (rFactor and GTR2 (with some mods)), if any of y'all wanted to race on those.

Still stuck in Fallout 4. I stopped playing for a couple of days (food and family, or food with family) but then I discovered how survival mode changes the game, just by removing the quick healing. Making you think again. Additionnally, you really need a companion in that mode, and I am impressed by how bad the AI is and how good the companion dialogues are. I specially like the situational comments and the reactions to different places, and how they even talk to each other. Not to mention I have fallen for a robot. Though Cait with Grognak's outfit and axe rocks, so it was a close thing.

The small side stories, the set pieces, that is what makes this game shine. Not graphics or mechanics, but the stories. Having the best main story of all the Fallouts also helps.

So it's 5am and I'm still up. I blame Grim Fandango. Pretty fun so far, if a little frustrating solving some of the puzzles (some too simple, some a little too complex). I like the idea driving it all though—basically a travel agent for limbo.

I'm getting back to Hoplite, the awesome little mobile turn-based puzzle game about killing demons in dungeons. Feels like dancing with a spear, sometimes ;-)

I fell down the Fallout 4 time sink and honestly, it makes me very happy, even if so far I'm just mindlessly building things around and bringing back food to the settlers.

wLrGY9G.png

• Like 1

Finally, after more than 300 hours, I am over Fallout 4. Started Alpha Protocol but did not like my character nor my coworkers, so I am making another run in KotOR, with the aim to continue with KotOR II and if I still want a lightsaber some newer Star Wars game.

I started thinking that I could finally turn to the Dark side, but I cannot avoid being nice to people.

I haven't really been playing big games. I take a stab at Witcher 2 every once in a while, but i never have enough time to really get immersed into the world and story. I play a lot of short, quick games: for now mostly Nuclear Throne and The Binding Of Isaac. They are very similar in terms of core-mechanics (move around, shoot, dodge, collect upgrades) but play so very differently. 

I had a bit of an itch for a tactical game so i installed Company Of Heroes and am slowly working through the campaign. It's good fun, but a bit hectic. I was quite tempted by XCOM in the steam sale, but i think i'll stick to my "no buying games except for the few on my wish list" policy.

I've been having trouble finding the time / headspace for the big games myself.  I've been happy with things I can jump in and out of, without clogging up the mental RAM with all kinds of deep character backstories, skill tree crap, short-term-memory UPS mission minutiae, and all that other scheiza that comes with bigass RPGs and the like.

Been happy with Doom.  I'm trying Vampire The Masquerade, which is fantastic and is like the sexier, BDSMier gothic girlfriend of FPS-RPG masterpiece Deus Ex.  A lot of the world crap I'm having to let sail over my head for now or it will asplode, though.  Just getting the ambiance and hoping to find a hack to make the game harder because it is stupidly easy to me.

• Like 1

Yeah that's about the furthest i got as well. Usually if i make it past the big dog fight, level 4 is not an issue, but then i die pretty much straight away on the ice levels. 

I wish the game was a bit more stable though... since a couple of updates a go, it crashes a LOT. Usually it is on startup but sometimes also during play. 

I play on Vita. It's totally stable.

The only weird thing is when Big Dog is exploding, everything slows down. I'm not sure it's an effect or a bug.

Apparently something on my computer, probably Windows X itself, did not like KotOR, and it kept crashing randomly. As it is an old game with limited autosave that is extremely annoying. So I stopped before I discovered I was a Jedi, too.

Finished the first Witcher 3 expansion, Heart of Stone, and I really loved it. The story, the characters, the (almost) non-violent  six hour wedding party. Better than many full games. Although I have clocked more hours with Fallout 4 (and three different full campaigns) it is for sure my favorite game of 2015. And it was a heavy year for CRPGs (Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Dragon Age 3, Fallout 4, whatever is called the new d&d game...).

X-Com, Enemy Unknown is great for casual play, as the firefights can be completed easily and it is difficult to get lost. Bloodlines was extremely buggy when I first tried it and I never went back. 

Should try to finish some games I bought before buying new ones, as well. 

• Got tired of the rheumatoid arthitis thing, so I'm replaying DX Invisible War (the GOG version fixed the epoch-length loading time thing that killed the experience of the game's maiden voyage into PC-land).  I don't have headspace to allocate to all the character histories, spec-fic worldbuilding crap, conspiratorial plot and counter-plotting, and my health meter (so I switched it off) due to game dev work intensity, but it's always a fun "returning home" to #reinstalldeusex.  Like the digital-native equivalent of coming home from college for the holidays, before returning to this strange other state called real life.
  • Like 1

The only time I spend on console games is when I'm giving tactical advice to a 7 year old in Plants vs Zombies or playing skystones for a 4 yr old.

Over Xmas I played a bunch of tabletop/board games:

First game of Munchkin that I had bought over the summer but hadn't had time to play. Left out some rules, misunderstood others due to speed reading, but it doesn't really matter. 

Swords and Strongholds - the board game from Mouseguard. A very simple game that takes a couple of goes to work out some of the strategies.

Warhammer 40K - I played a 500pt game against my brother with my nephew as my tactical advisor. He was a very bad tactical advisor. My brother's Orks killed far more of themselves than my useless Space Marines did. I think it was just revenge for Munchkin.

Atmosfear - a boardgame from 1991 that involves a VHS tape. Fortunately the people we were visiting on Boxing Day still had a VHS player. Race around the graveyard and collect all the keys then face your worst fear, all while being shouted at by a man on the TV.

• Like 1