random jukebox

remotevoices

funnily i was just listening to that as well. though slotted in between death ambient and noise it didn't quite click. though, it is very lush. my main memory of lush is seeing them at the reading festival - 2nd stage, probably about the height of their career, when one of the lassies had bright red hair. and they were having major problems with their DAT.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

caught bis playing - classic glasgow pop punk, classic glasgow venue, probably most famous for this track - power puff girls theme music. tonight was the original three piece line-up, which i last saw some years ago supporting gary numan. i was never a particular fan, but both time my friend has persuaded me to go. they put on a decent high energy fun show.

another gig tonight. clint mansell, formerly of pop will eat itself, composer for numerous films. he had 8 other people on stage with him, rock band and classical - guitarist, bassist, drummer, him in the middle, pianist, 2 violinists, viola and cello. clint was supposed to play here in october 2014, but had to cancel. he explained as he took to the stage that his girlfriend had died, and was obviously choked just saying this. tonight was important to him, to be able to come here, to complete the gigs he didn't do, and to take the opportunity to celebrate her life. he started with Noah, then Pi, then Moon, then High Rise, followed by Requiem for a Dream, on to Black Swan, part of The Fountain. each a medley of music from the soundtrack of each film, talking between, about working with Darren, about flying back from Cannes with Hubert Selby Jr., meeting Madonna. he talked about meeting director Ben Wheatley having had to turn down High Rise due to his loss, only for Wheatley to tell him they would wait till he was ready. before the fountain he talked about working with mogwai, at least one member of that band being in the audience tonight. he finished with a track from the fountain, telling us how after the death of his partner the piece had gained new meaning - death is the road to awe...

this version is from 2009, so older performance - before his girlfriend's death, he has lost weight, lost his hair. but it lets you hear the track. i was moved from the start, by his loss, and how it informed the night, though he wanted it to be a celebration. music from requiem and fountain are just so powerful anyway, so live tonight they were devastating.

this is another older clip, 2013, better quality, the requiem medley

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...