The WGB
Sign in to follow this  
xen0phile

Free Couch-Rides

Maybe I'm giving up weed. The last few times I smoked, I honestly felt awful, emotionally. I contemplated smoking today, but decided I really didn't want to. Maybe just something I'll do like once-a-year or less now. (As opposed to my present "few times a year").

TM, on the "Mythologies" thread,

If you want to be alone, then go be alone.  

I think it's that I really actually want to be around company, but I don't want to deal with company. I want socialization, but I can't deal with the cost of socialization, with the reciprocity of being social.

The social need is a difficult balance for many of us. Being round people can be hard. For me it can be a wall of noise. And I crave a silence, a stillness, relief from that barrage. But too much time spent alone, that silence can instead feel like an emptiness.

I've heard it said introverts  maintain small social circles and that is partly why. Finding people who are not noise, who offer stillness without emptiness. Or, you know, whatever works for you. Certainly at the moment I am struggling to find fulfilment, to see a point, a worth. My work day becoming informed by the roadworks I sit in, by everything being late. And work can be a noise / stillness struggle too.

• Like 1

A few years ago (several times, as it is a recurrent topic) the other board made one of those Myers-Briggs exercises and found out that the long term members of the forum were in a big majority Introverts, with a strong preponderancy of INT (Introverted, Intuitives, Thinking) when they are less than 10% of the general population. That is related, in my opinion, to the limited social contacts of introverts, and therefore the loyalty to those social contacts that are bearable/agreeable as opposed to most of the rest. 

It is hard to find such a niche, so no matter how far we go, we usually return, even if it is short periods from time time.

• Like 2

Fellow INTPs present!

I think online forums make it easier for introverts to interact with others on their own terms, without being overwhelmed.  And of course one's online persona is always wittier, taller and better-looking than the meatspace "you".

• Like 1

Just dropped in(to see what condition my condition is in). It seems I'm still still an INTP as well with a 'Turbulent' rather than 'Assertive' personality(when did they add that?).

I gotta say though, unlike a lot of people on this forum, I think me online is LESS charming than I am IRL. Is that odd? Is me unmediated by standard social contract a prickish bore or do I perhaps communicate more through nuance than speech? Who bloody knows.

Y'all should try Periscope too. You can interact with a live person without actually being face to face. (They talk, you type.)

Bluetooth keyboard recommended though or autocorrect while typing lots gradually drives you insane.

On 1/26/2016 at 0:49 AM, Gromit said:

Fellow INTPs present!

I think online forums make it easier for introverts to interact with others on their own terms, without being overwhelmed.  And of course one's online persona is always wittier, taller and better-looking than the meatspace "you".

Online me is an angry asshole, IRL me fades into the background.

You know what? I'm tired of all y'all fuckers. I only do this whole "communicate with other humans" thing as a grotesque compulsion. Like picking at a scab. I really just need to delete all my social networks and STFU

Okay, this is minor, superficial.  I could have *real* trouble, like my heart, lungs, kidneys or something...  And don't even get me started on my brain.  That never worked like yours anyway, never will.  Okay, bone trouble is pretty deep, but I won't need my jawbone to walk properly.

It's not even getting old that bothers me.  The grey hairs, the male pattern baldness, or the wrinkles when they come [where are they?  Why don't I have them yet?] -- no problem.  It's getting old, and weak, with no one else around, no supports except my own [failing] strength and ability to work.  That scares the hell out of me.

You know how cats behave when they're in pain?  EXACTLY the same as when they're not, that's how.  As only moderately sociable animals, it's never in their best interest to show weakness, or seek sympathy.  They're just not wired that way.  I'm not even sure if I know how.  You have to look carefully, if you want to help them with anything.

This is just a warning, and a mild one at that.  I'm on almost no physical pain right now.  But the message is perfectly clear.

My days are numbered, and my friends are few.

Patrick.

Edited by Garage_Rubin

Objectively, all of us have numbered days and few friends. Spouses, children and on a secondary level other family and friends work as a safety net, so that in case of trouble, or the unavoidable infirmity of age, there will be someone close to help, take you to ER, hold your hand while talking to an oncologist, or bail you out of jail. 

Introversion makes yoursense of self less dependent on others, but also reduces the size of the potential safety net (unless you breed your future helpers, which is the traditional approach).

Being childless, my wife and I end up relying a lot on each other, and that will probably increase as time passes. We are also finalizing plans with some friends to make a communal elderly village to support each other in our old age and share expenses like caretaker, resident nurse, cleaner, etc., as we are not sure the state will be able to provide the level of services it provides now in twenty years time.

So I think it is reasonable for anyone over a certain age without a huge extended family or crowds of friends.

Thanks, that does put things in perspective.  BTW, the idea of a kind of `old-age commune' is a great one, makes me wonder if there's anything like that around here.  Won't be a going concern for me for a while yet, but it will be something to look out for.

Cheers,

Patrick.

Hey, Patrick. How're things with you?

I'm still testing videogames. Not getting a lot of work, though: I made like less than $2000 last year from this job :(

On 5/4/2016 at 9:38 PM, Garage_Rubin said:

Trump?  If that's what you mean...  Yeah.

Yes. I'm guessing this dumbass gets trounced, but in this country, I just don't fucking know.

Edited by xen0phile