The WGB
heavyboots

what are YOU lookin' at?

My wife absolutely loves it, and it is in high rotation during Christmas, so I have seen it twice already this year.

I kind of agree with your wife and I end up watching Love Actually about once a year at Christmas. If nothing, the voice over at the beginning always gives me a boost to make it through the holidays.

"When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know, none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love."

The Witcher was excellent in many ways, but alas, managing to cue the viewer in on what era the current scene was taking place in was NOT one of them. The fight scenes, the overall story arc, the faithfulness to the original work—all great. But quite frequently you would have no freaking clue what so ever what time period you're in until someone mumbles something in an offhanded way like "Well that was a waste of 3 decades of my life" and you suddenly realize "OK, she doesn't age" and "Oh, apparently the writers fast forwarded time on us, but failed to mention…"

1 hour ago, heavyboots said:

The Witcher was excellent in many ways, but alas, managing to cue the viewer in on what era the current scene was taking place in was NOT one of them. The fight scenes, the overall story arc, the faithfulness to the original work—all great. But quite frequently you would have no freaking clue what so ever what time period you're in until someone mumbles something in an offhanded way like "Well that was a waste of 3 decades of my life" and you suddenly realize "OK, she doesn't age" and "Oh, apparently the writers fast forwarded time on us, but failed to mention…"

It definitely rewards closely paying attention. I actually enjoy that, since it gives the story more complexity and requires me to actively track the storylines.

So far I have identified 3 distinct time periods in the first three episodes.

• Like 1

Yeah, overall I still enjoyed it a lot, but with the above caveats. And I'm not even a chick—they basically all see Henry Cavil in leather pants and are like, "I'm in!"

Also, I forgot that Letterkenny Season 8 dropped on the 25th and I've officially watched it all now. Some weird parts in the first couple episodes, but a lot of enjoyable stuff towards the end. Although THE ENTIRE LAST EPISODE consists almost exclusively of jokes delivered by the Mennonite Noah Dyck and I literally was covering my ears and humming just to drown out the non-stop puns once or twice…

I had a lot of time off recently, so had more time to watch some TV...

The Witcher, season 1. Really great storytelling, it doesn't assume the viewer is a dummy that needs to be spoon-fed the details of every story-line. I actually enjoyed that the different different events could be set years apart without much of an indicator, it made it more interesting. Having played some of the games, I think they got the character of Geralt spot on. The comparison to GoT is easy, but also not really valid I think. It's less "politics in a fantasy setting" and more actual fantasy. It was interesting seeing the discrepancy between professional reviewers and how the public received it. I heard some people complain about the low-quality CGI and costumes but that didn't bother me at all.

Dark, season 1. It's like Stranger Things, but German, and much more bleak. This has a high production value, with really great shots and visuals. Apart from how bleakly beautiful it is to look at, the story is interesting too, with some original takes on the genre. You're constantly left wondering how everything puzzles together in the end.

The first episode of that new take on Dracula. It's by the people who did Sherlock, so you know it's gonna be slick and also somewhat funny. Mark Gatiss is a huge horror nerd, so Dracula is at least adequately creepy and the horror is well done. It's certainly a modern take though, with at least one the characters behaving in a way they'd never do in the era they're set in. But still... fun.

• Like 1

The Witcher - I talked a little about this before but this was really a great season. I admit to having something of a man crush on Henry Cavil, and Anya Chalotra is pretty hot too.  The non-linear storyline rewards people that really pay attention, and I assume that most of the people that didn't like that were probably watching it while doing other stuff.

The Expanse - I am giving the series another chance now that there is a new season and this time I am less distracted by comparisons to the book. Although the acting is sometimes weak, once Thomas Jane is gone and the actors seem to settle into their roles a bit better that ceased to be an issue.  The whole thing is still too "pretty" for sci-fi.  Ships have very dramatic lighting and tons of useless space to keep warm.  Regardless, it is a fine show and gets better as the seasons go by.

The following two I watched when I was pretty stoned, so the reviews might be affected by that.

Booksmart - the coming of age film by Olivia Wilde was like a surreal Fast Times at Ridgemont High mixed with some elements of Superbad (a tedious comparison by the haters but not entirely wrong).  It was surreal in that the high school in the film is a fantasy, run by students and high achievers with little relationship to real schools.  I didn't care, it was fun, irreverent, and profane.  I loved it.

Right after Booksmart we watched the first Ep of Dracula.  An homage to Bella Lugosi in many ways, this freaky, creepy, and yet still somehow pg-13 episode clocks in a 90 minutes and had me alternately cringing and giggling throughout. I hate horror movies, but this isn't horror, its a great monster movie though.

• Like 1

Dracula did not go where I was expecting it to go in its final episode, but it's all good. It's a solid reinterpretation that continues to play with the concepts of Vampires in an interesting way. It's also good to see it actually ends and doesn't leave it open for sequels. Sometimes things are allowed to be one-offs. 

Perhaps somewhat embarrassingly, I watched all 3 seasons of "Anne with an E" in short succession. A modern adaptation of "Anne of Green Gables". Cute, feel good. I believe there are some changes from the original work, this takes some progressive stances and adds some darker undertones that the original material probably didn't. But it works with the characters.

Where'd You Go Bernadette? by Richard Linklater is was really cool! I didn't realize it was by him until the end when the credits rolled, but I can see his touch on it now I know to look. The story follows a fairly standard formula, but the actors pull it off exceptionally well.

Thieves and Liars was also fairly entertaining, if a lot lighter fare. Guy with an art degree worked for a couple different companies installing security systems for art and now is going back and stealing a bunch of art for someone he owes a lot of money to. Inexplicable attraction to a super hot girl at a house he's robbing (he tends to do it during parties) leads to complications and shenanigans. Can't really complain though—had fun watching it overall.