The WGB
heavyboots

what are YOU lookin' at?

A place for movie and television show reviews, thoughts, and ruminations… [Posterity]

The Expanse 1x04 was pretty good, if a little weak compared to the first three.

I am liking them but must admit they don't seem to put the jumper cables to me quite like BSG managed to back in the day.

how many episodes does the series have? do you know?

having read the novel i think they'd need to get the balance just right.

last night i saw "grandma" - lily tomlin as a hippy, lesbian grandma. her grand daughter turns up on her door steps just as she has hit her own self-destruct. so rather than being able to give her grand daughter the money for an abortion they end up going on an against the clock road trip to scrounge from friends and enemies alike. a particularly enjoyable indie drama.

^ Well?! How was it?

I watched The Gunman last night. It wasn't terrible but I feel like the cinematography really let down what could have been a much better movie. The character Sean Penn is playing is likable and fallible, but when the director has chosen to portray every single action sequence largely in cramped, jump-cut montages it just gets frustrating after a while. I still gave it three stars for the core of the movie, but argh.

Saw Star Wars with Arkan last night.

Liked it too - want to let it all sink in a bit more before I decided how much I liked it.

Spoiler

JaWookies (Jawa-Wookiee cross-breeds) were the truly the movie's WTF moment.

The last thing I expected to see, and for me, the movie's "wow" moment,  was the Ebon Hawk v. Millennium Falcon dogfight.

• Like 1

:)

I'm freaking out, here.

Couldn't really sleep. Had strange creatures and spaceships flying in my head.
Very tempted to catch the 10:30 screening at Scotiabank this morning.

• Like 2

New "Star Wars".

I definitely enjoyed it. Um. Rot13-ed comments (maybe with some spoiler-y stuff) to follow:

gur ovgf jvgu ba Wnxxh jvgu Erl jrer zl snibevgr cnegf. gur penfu-ynaqrq fgne qrfgeblre. gur pbbxvat fprar! xvaq n fvyyl guvat gb fnl, ohg v ybir gur fcnpr-cbiregl cbea. Erl'f zrntre yvivat pbaqvgvbaf. V *ernyyl* ybirq gung fprar jvgu ure pbbxvat gur tehry vagb n fcnpr zhssva. n ovg qvfnccbvagrq v qvqag trg gb frr nal bs tjra puevfgvr (orfvqrf oruvaq gur uryzrg) be yhvcgn (orfvqrf n ibvpr naq ptv-rq punenpgre) orpnhfr v nz fb qnza vasnghngrq jvgu obgu bs gubfr ynqvrf.

Sisters - aka  Obnoxious American Comedy - the trailer looked dubious. I am not especially a fan of this kind of comedy. But friends said they thought it looked funny, and I've turned down their film choices a lot lately (so many shit films, so little tolerance), so I went along. Between reducing the characters to a moronic level and fucking destroying their lives because fuck it might be funny, the film had the occasional scene where I concede to being passingly amused. I have every confidence it will be hailed as genius and be a success at the box office.

Watched 'He Never Died' today. I'm not sure I would have liked it as much if the lead was anyone but Henry Rollins. Still, entertaining and worth the Amazon rental. I understand it will get a theatrical release, but not where I live.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, db said:

Xen0, there's a spoiler tag here (the eyeball in the format toolbar).

Yeah, but for this *specific* movie, I think something that looks like it was written by an alien is more appropriate.  ;-)

And on that note...

Да, я думаю, что они получили это право в этот раз. :-) Дарт Вейдер Младший был особенно тревожным, хотя его характер был хорошо для комического иногда. Мне особенно понравилась часть, где он получает плохие новости, ломтики половину диспетчерскую, а затем случайно спрашивает "Что-нибудь еще я должен знать?"

Чистый класс.

Cheers,

Patrick.

• Like 1

Hey, careful, people can read Russian just by glancing at it (as opposed to ROT-13). Well, actually, I suppose a few savants might be able to. But I don't know any here. I *do* know, e.g., Boogerhead speaks Russian.

actually, i caught that last week. i was so bad at updating this thread on the old board, hopefully i can be better here. i did catch it in the transition. i was a little underwhelmed at times, given how much some friends had raved about it. on the other hand, i was close to tears by the end and chanting inside my head at the end "come on, look, look, look!"

I thought both leads were gorgeous!!!!! and totally enjoyed the character development.

the score might have been a bit pretentious/over-done at some points but the overall look was so excellent, I got easily over it.

Lack of free time means I am permanently late. Just binged on the first season of Fargo, and I am still in a state of shock. Pure Coen gold and their return to Minnesota.

It takes courage to play a character as hopeless as Gus Grimly, though it all pays back at the end.

Scraping the memory barrel's bottom = watching Breaking Bad (never seen before). It's fun! Well, deranged, socially dangerous kind of fun.

Also, NOT watching any Star Wars. Meh :-)

Also, planning to see Mad Max: Fury Road for the umpteenth time, this time from the comfort of my couch, with my partner (she hasn't seen it yet, heh).

• Like 2

23268087324_c8a0c11f25_n.jpg

Surprise - local chain cinema has taken to showing Chinese comedies in the last couple of months, this is I think the 5th. I've gone to see them all. Weirdly, the 1st film they showed (a sequel), was mobbed, selling out. Though, apparently it was the biggest Chinese film of the year. The films since have been less well attended, though Glasgow has a decent sized Chinese population, and they do still come out for each. Was thrown by this one, the description initially on the website was clearly cut and paste from the previous film - a flash back to the 80's romcom. This was not that. This was a period piece side adventure of Sun Wukong (the Monkey King (like the TV series - Monkey, Pigsy, Sandy and the monk)). A small town has survived a historic demon attack, but in process has locked the demon within it's magical structure, but not before the demon has set a curse on the family who are the town's protector. As the latest protector becomes threatened by the curse Sun Wukong and his crew arrive. This is a near slapstick comedy, with a modern sensibility. Jokes about haters and fan girls and breaking the fourth wall with music videos and spoof adverts. Very odd film, given I didn't know what I was getting into!

Edited by remotevoices