Garage_Rubin

I think I mentioned being a Good Listener earlier, for a friend and co-worker who's in the process of breaking up with her man.  They'd been together for six years.  Her kids consider him their dad [not their biological father; him.  And that says a lot].

Got kind of worried about her this week, when on one day she called in sick, got someone to cover for her, then on another, wasn't around when she'd been scheduled.  No one showed up in her place either, that time.  Tried calling, left a voicemail saying I hope she's okay, and that The Boss there should be pretty understanding about it, since he'd recently broken up with someone himself.  I left without knowing if she'd made it to work at all that day.

Turns out she had [although she was quite late] and she's fine.  He's fine too.  They're fine with each other.  The thing about living with someone is that after having the Long Talk, wishing each other well, kissing eachother goodbye and all that, the next day they're *still_there*.  So there's kind of an emotionally strained, awkward period where you've both said what you had to say, and the other person's still there, and neither of you knows what *else* to say now.  So you kind of tiptoe around each other for a while, feeling strangely embarrassed.

Well, they're past that too, and they're okay with each other.  I think he left, as in physically exited the province, sometime yesterday.

Glad he's okay too.  I like him.

No, my motives are not pure, but they are *not* selfish.  While they were trying to work things out, I honestly hoped they would.  She said something to me about coming to visit sometime, and I really had no idea what to say to that.  I like her, care about her, and I don't want to do the Wrong Thing.  Or the Right Thing at the Wrong Time.  Or, you know...  She's a friend first, and I'm up for anything *except* taking advantage of her.

There are many songs about this.  I think I'll go listen to a few of them right now...

Cheers,

Patrick.

• 2 weeks later...

My mom had an accident- most of you know it- don't send me sympathy cause i will tell you, i am over this crap-

Sometime ago my little sister, who is better off financially than i am- Asked my brothers to help her out all she asked for was 25 bucks-

There was alot silence and moaning about the money they don't have-

A close relative bought her fridge and oven off of my mom- only they haven't paid her and have avoid weakly to do so-

Mom has been waiting for her disability, well her storage is four months behind- She called me to get money- I have no idea way she thought i would have money- I got pissed and told her she needed to speak to those who owe her money-

Suddenly that relative is texting us all group style and saying we need to get mom money-

My sister looses her shit cause she asked for the same thing a while back- But didn't ask for quiet as much-

My sister has paid mom phone bill and has kept her account in the black-

And now the boys are all gung ho- Since it has been re-suggested

There isn't much i can do money wise=

He upset my sister tho-

So I went over there and broke some of their stuff-

As i drove back home- I couldn't help thinking that is probably good, i don't have even demi god powers- tho i would make a good demi god-

• Like 1

I got kind of pissed today-

Davita has moved us into it's own building-

We have a few nurses on the floor but it is mostly cna's, doing the poking and setting machines and such-

And a good deal of the time i give them the benefit of the doubt cause there is always someone coming on or off and alarms going off on machines every time our bodies do the slightest thing-

But, lately i get the feeling everything is a little lax and just plain stupid-

When i cramp, i am unreasonable- My brain goes instantly into "you must suffer" mode-

To add insult to injury- I hurt my hip over the weekend somehow and i can barely walk-

My doctor told them monday that needed to go in for xrays-

When i asked about them today I got alot of clueless looks-

Then i cramped, which meant they rushed to fix me but every couple of minutes they are asking me if i feel better- While I am making agony sounds-

I finally had to be taken off to walk around, the pain on pain started to make me nauseous- I asked for something to keep me from puking-

The two girls sent the drug to another guy-

When i point this out the girls giggled and say"oh well, he needed it any way-"

I nearly lost my shit right there-

These girls are always telling me how they suffer, if i tell them when my body is malfunctioning-

My hip hurts so bad i can not sleep and i have issues just getting a glass of water-

"If it makes you feel better may leg hurts too."

I only say something cause my doctor get miffed if i don't tell them about my pains and aches-

I just figure I am being unreasonable due to pain, but this new wench they have is not helping-

Getting x rays tomorrow, the doctor is worried i broke, chipped or ripped something-

19 hours ago, Noirjyre said:

I finally had to be taken off to walk around, the pain on pain started to make me nauseous- I asked for something to keep me from puking-

The two girls sent the drug to another guy-

When i point this out the girls giggled and say"oh well, he needed it any way-"

I nearly lost my shit right there-

Rule #1; Never ever corner, and especially do not *taunt* a sick or injured animal in the wild.

Nice of you to let them live, Noir, but why?

Mojo,

Patrick.

• Like 1

Took the one older Minibot up the mountain this evening into the dark.  In preparation for her performance tomorrow at the local comic-con as Rey, the possible relative of Luke Skywalker.  I will of course will be going as Luke as played by ancient, grizzled, motorcycle accident-afflicted Mark Hamil.  In preparation, I did voice acting for two decades and lived on a lonesome rocky island somewhere off the coast of Scotland.

• Like 4

Well fuck me, I actually know enough at work now to start helping newbies. Also saw another tiny Microsoft bunny. (Microsoft campus has a population of feral rabbits (I don't work for Microsoft, but my office is right next to campus)). Today was a good day.

Edited by xen0phile
  • Like 3

@Garage: Haha, yeah, hard to cosplay a character that hasn't been officially converted from text into some visual medium like film.  

C6HFtKs.jpg

Using the force in the Pacific Degobah. The old-Mark Hamil face involves attempting to imitate an angler fish - jaw out and buggy eyes.  The motorcycle-accident nose is tough- you need your buffest friend to righthook you in the face -- I'm not that hardcore a cosplayer. geekcred --;

1JhdpBs.jpg

Spoiler alert: I'm her daddy! :)

• Like 6

Put in an application to go back to college. IDFK.

I kinda want to go back, but I kinda don't want to pay for it. Fuck. But, it might be something that lifts me out of the half-decade-long rut. Also, the game testing job (being very part time) would fit right in.

I got baked like a pizza afterward. (Family is camping for the long weekend, so it's just the cat and me right now). Had all sorts of interesting thoughts I tend not to think in a sober state.

• Like 2

I always wanted to end life going back to school, maybe for music.  Because I have zero talent for music, and whatever want is there, is surely not to be found.  Classical guitar I think.  Maybe in Florida, ten years from now.

I'm currently trying to get my games back, having bought a new, shiny hard drive, and windows 10 pro.  Don't want to kiss Microsoft's ass, but the games so far are, indeed, run significantly better, with 64 behind it.

Got the Gibson comic on download.  Reminds me of reading Shelley translating Plato's Ion.  Sounds like Shelley to me, but what would you want, reading this sort of thing?  For anyone who gets the subtext, highly fascinating.  For the general comic book crowd, hard to grasp and catch, as intended, but still interesting.   Addiction...

But that Molly out of stones, interesting...

I hope it never ends, because the image working, that is way above me, kiss ass aside. 

• Like 2

Last week I was in Düsseldorf, at a tire show. However I was there to attend a conference called Future Tires, which really was discussing how things will be at two time frames, 2022 and 2030. It was quite enlightening, how industry engages in its own brand of futurism. What follows is the future presented there, with some comments of my own.

It was surprising how much they agreed on several things, and how most of them represent the destruction of basic and medium level jobs. Which indicates there is no wide picture reflection, just a technological and some political reflection on a narrow focus.

From here to 2022 nobody expects much to change for tires, mainly because electric and hybrid cars will use tires similar to the current ones, probably taller and narrower, but not surprisingly so, and because scarcity is not expected to be critical within that time frame. Also Europe is gleefully watching the economic woes of others as that selfishly benefits us.

In 2030 things are nastier. Scarcity, or at least high oil prices are expected, Industry 4.0 (also known as CPS, Cyber Physical Systems, so maybe I should have included it as Gibsonian) will be well established, which means most not highly qualified jobs will have disappeared. We even were shown robots able to replace lab technicians for Quality Control). And at least in Europe it is considered a given that it will be illegal to use your car in manual mode in the highways. The real battlefield will be in cities, but many experts consider it likely that autonomous mode will be enforced in most big urban centres. That will kill the car as a status symbol for many people, and fits well with the destruction of the middle class, as transport autonomy is one of its signs.

Selfishly, silica is a sustainable resource while carbon black is not, and reducing rolling resistance is even more important with electric cars, where the engine has an 80% efficiency, than in a combustion engine with a 20% efficiency. So as long as cars are made nearby, tires will be made too, and they will need us. Of course, if cars fall ten times in use and recycling grows to a 50%, nobody knows what the future demand will be. But due to geography trucks will continue to be important in most of Europe.

2030 is also the year that if the Social Security system does not crash I would consider going into retirement. It seems increasingly unlikely I will be able to do so, but at least my job seems fairly secure. Unless I get in the wrong discussion with my boss/owner of the company, so you never know.

• Like 1

Memorial Day in the US, and one of the local aviation/military museums celebrates the day by rolling out their collection of hardware. I went there, hung out for a few hours, saw some cool tanks and planes.

27360986115_506b8f5a94_b.jpg

Wearing a poppy they handed out at Tankfest, and Facebook wants me to post some anodyne pre-canned post they prepared, but really the best thing I, personally, could do to help veterans would be, I dunno, going under a bridge and handing out food and blankets?

(I say "I personally" because I, personally, am not going to, e.g., single-handedly make the VA better).

Officially, "Memorial Day" is to honor those who have died ("Veteran's Day" (Armistice Day to the rest of the world) is when all veterans are honored), but not much I can do to help the dead. Well, really, I wouldn't be averse to going to a graveyard and volunteering to maintain the sites for a few hours. (I actually really love hanging around graveyards because they tend to be really lovely sites).

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...