Garage_Rubin

took a fall. not something most of us do often. sometimes with ice involved or something, certainly last couple rare times its been something slippy. walking along talking to my brother and my ankle went, didn't even see the crack in the pavement. and i went down hard, flying toward the ground, freaking out, convinced my head was going to hit, that my glasses would break and slash my face. but obviously in my panic i twisted and managed to avoid. still hell of a fright, took some minutes before i was able to stand, then to move on. conscious of twisted ankle, smacked hand, impact on knee. but as the hours go on, my back hurts, then my chest - that sudden jerking twist of my entire body throwing my entire body out. so, didn't head, ankle walkable (so far), but in pain and falling like that really helps undermine your confidence in anything. don't recommend.

anyway. took brother out for dinner. it was his birthday about a week ago, but he'd been on holiday, so first time seen him since he got back. dinner and film and catching up as we usually do about life, and all the silly things about tv and books, with a dash of politics.

while last night i was at a work night out. one of the old guys is retiring. so 17 of us went to a brazilian restaurant and ate ridiculous quantities of meat. caught up with couple of the other previous retirees. pretty much in last few years all the old guys, the guys with the real hardcore knowledge have gone. i think this is something a lot of companies are going to have to deal with. new generations, and i include myself, just aren't taught or trained or encouraged to have so much real knowledge. so it goes

Edited by remotevoices
  • Like 2

Sorry to hear of your fall! I have taken a tumble on pavement a time or two, and it's never fun.

Take it easy, take a little ibuprofin to easy your aches, and a nice warm tub before bed if you think you will be able to get up out of it! sometimes a tub isn't a great idea if you live alone (PK has had to rescue me before!).

I hope you're not feeling the effects for too long.

Yeah, that reflexive/defensive reaction strains things almost as badly as the impact itself.  Besides soaking in a tub, I'd suggest methocarbamol [generic Robaxacet] for the muscle aches, if you can get it without a prescription over there.  The shaky `WTF' reaction isn't much fun either.  Hope you're feeling better soon.

Cheers,

Patrick.

given the force i went down with i've been lucky. foot looks swollen, is stiff, odd little twinges, but generally not too painful. again twinges of muscles when i move, but generally doing ok. i went out again today, so driving ok, more i walked (slowly) the more i loosen up. went back took more pictures, double checked street name, as you do. thanks everyone.

i mean, look at the mes of that!

• Like 1

My wife falls relatively often (once a year or so) and what we remark is how we no longer recover quickly, but it keeps going a minor but constant nuisance, for many days after the fall. I am blessed with flexible ankles, so I seldom fall, and never twist them. 

That said that concrete tile looks like a dungeon trap.

Few news. Lots of enjoyable work, but at the end of the day you end even more tired, as you put in more hours than you should, so lots of games, some TV and some  cooking, as it is still one of the ways to relax myself. As we can afford it, we eat out a lot in week-ends. My wife has a crush on Gordon Ramsey, so we are planning a escape to Bordeaux, the closest Ramsey restaurant, even if he is in only a couple of days per year. We tried last year but it was impossible.

Posting from my SAMOS-3 again, which is busy copying its OS and home directory over to an external drive, in preparation for a hardware upgrade.  Just bought my pet monster a bunch of 500GB SATA drives, as a thank-you for all the help with those videos.  Recently finished read/write testing the new drives, and they're fine.  Kind of wonder if they'll be any faster than the 72GB SAS drives in its current RAID array.  Should produce a 1.3TB virtual drive in any case.

Maybe I'll rename it `1G0R'.  Maybe not.  `SAMOS-3' suits it, but maybe `SAMOS-IV' now...

Cheers,

Patrick.

Just got an incredible opportunity today.  The second once-in-a-lifetime type thing in the past three months.  I don't want to jinx it but let's just say the Minobots could end up living in Canada soon.

@Garage: Nice computer plans. :) Just upgraded to a Windows 10 thingy and opted out of every possible thing I could.  I find when you strip away the Hal-9000ness of Cortana and general creepyness, it's a pretty solid operating system!

• Like 5

Yeah, what Gromit said.  :-)

What part of Canada?  West coast, maybe?  We've never met, but I'd like it if we did.  Don't say, if you think that'll jinx it though.  Mojo, man.

Anyway, that seemed to work;

Screenshot_2016-04-30_20-55-02.png

Just a quick-and-dirty dd cloning of the whole partition [not like I've really `moved in' here yet, but there are a few apps installed, desktop customizations, a bunch of leftover files from recent [and upcoming] video editing projects, etc], but you get the idea.

Cheers,

Patrick.

Edited by Garage_Rubin
Fucking unwanted italics, again. Fuck. I really should learn to use `round' brackets, but I'm generally too lazy to reach for the `Shift' key...

Interesting...  Read, write, and simultaneous read/write speeds with these SATA drives are about the same as those SAS ones.  Actually expected they'd be a little slower, because I doubt they spin at 10,000 RPM.  So I guess the bottleneck is the RAID controller.  No problem, good speeds in any case, just found it educational.

The first command below reads 32 GiB from disk and sends them -- nowhere, just a read test -- at about 170 MiB/sec.  The second command pulls 32 GiB of null-bytes out of its ass and writes *them* to a file on disk, at about 100 MiB/sec.  And the third is a simultaneous read/write test, reading the first 32 GiB from disk and writing them to a file, on the same disk, at about 90 MiB/sec.

In all three cases, memory usage slowly climbed and levelled-off at about 1 GiB, so the kernel must use a dynamic buffer, its size determined by available memory.

Useless info, care of yours truly.  :-)  All of this basically amounts to so much monster truck dick-waving, and I'm fully aware of that.  But it is kind of fun.  :-)

Unless it bites my hand off, I'll restrict any further fun with industrial hardware to the computing thread, promise.

moi@SAMOS-3:~$ sudo bash
[sudo] password for moi: 
root@SAMOS-3:~# echo ; start="`date`" ; head -c $(($(($((1024*1024))*1024))*32)) \
    /dev/cciss/c0d0 | dd of=/dev/null ; echo ; echo "$start" ; date ; echo ; echo

67108864+0 records in
67108864+0 records out
34359738368 bytes (34 GB) copied, 195.23 s, 176 MB/s

Sat Apr 30 22:11:07 PDT 2016
Sat Apr 30 22:14:22 PDT 2016

root@SAMOS-3:~# echo ; start="`date`" ; head -c $(($(($((1024*1024))*1024))*32)) \
    /dev/zero | dd of=~/test.file ; echo ; echo "$start" ; date ; echo ; echo

67108864+0 records in
67108864+0 records out
34359738368 bytes (34 GB) copied, 335.938 s, 102 MB/s

Sat Apr 30 22:15:02 PDT 2016
Sat Apr 30 22:20:40 PDT 2016

/dev/cciss/c0d0 | dd of=~/test.file ; echo ; echo "$start" ; date ; echo ; echo

67108864+0 records in
67108864+0 records out
34359738368 bytes (34 GB) copied, 365.055 s, 94.1 MB/s

Sat Apr 30 22:28:44 PDT 2016
Sat Apr 30 22:34:54 PDT 2016

root@SAMOS-3:~# exit
exit
moi@SAMOS-3:~# 

Cheers,

Patrick.

Edited by Garage_Rubin
Forgot to mention the RAM thing.

Well, it's not *on* the Wet Coast, but near it, and I like that part.  :-)  Being nearly 300 miles from the temperature-stabilizing ocean will mean much colder winters than you're used to, but the hot summers might be comparable to Hawaii for you.  Being in the Okanagan Valley, you can expect mosquitos to be a problem in the summer, but that's merely annoying; not the kind of health risk it can be in the tropics.

Otherwise I don't know.  Never been there, but I can ask people who have.  One of my bosses has been doing some work-related stuff in Kelowna lately.

Cheers,

Patrick.

Vernon is nice! it's "small town" and has lots of old people, but is probably experiencing the same kind of boom as the rest of the Okanagan due to crazy high real estate in the lower mainland.

There's lots of fruit and other farming, and probably vineyards although I can't call any to mind off the top of my head.

It's dry and you guys will probably have a cough for a month or two as you adjust (having just been through this here, I can recommend a humidifier, but that won't solve everything, but you will adjust).

As Garage_Rubin said, cold in the winter, but there's nice powder snow and good skiing that isn't too expensive in the general area. It's also hot in summer, like Kelowna or Oliver, but doesn't have the same bite without the humidity. There's no ocean but there are lots of lakes around with good swimming and boating and whatnot.

It's also quite a bit closer to G-R's fam, obviously :) and no borders to cross to get there.

It's not awful like east coast winters, you see the sun a lot and it's not humid so the cold temperatures are a lot easier to take :) why so many old folk move out there! But I mean you do need actual winter clothes and such.

Long week, kids got hand foot and mouth syndrome (like chicken pox but starts from hands, feet and inside of mouth- ouch!).  Can't actually take the kids to preschool right now because of the possible contagion.  Everybody's out of the house as well so it's pretty quite around.

Been illustrating novel covers and doing a lot of editing of late.  Slacking off on the game project which I need to snap the f*** off and ship already.  It's weird irony how you do your fastest and best work knowing your feet are over the fire.  

At any rate, going to the comic con thing soon, probably going as Luke since kids are doing Rei and BB8, I think.  Mrs. Minobot is handling that stuff right now though and that's fine cause I'm pretty busy anyway.

• Like 1

Took the Minoclan out funventuring through the mountains and valleys of the place where I live that I won't mention because... You can't legally hike there anymore because so many people social media-blasted pics of the place that it was overrun and there are huge barbed wire fences and security guards at the entrance.

So anyways, we went hiking at another super-secret location.  Perhaps we'll charge $1200 to the rich hipsters who want the inside scoop on paradise... gotta do the Tom Haverford Entrepreneur thing here....  The whole valley is becoming an Air BnB subversive hotelification / Chinese Billionaire via "local" shell-company real estate investment hole.

At any rate, the 4 year old and two year old got to jump and frolick around in their first native Hawaiian stream, with lots of waterfalls and fish and such.  To some people it might be a postcard thing worth billions but to me it's just the back yard.  

• Like 4