Spent three days among the privileged in Casablanca. Business visit, top class hotel, meals at private clubs (one for rich industrialists, the other for the Sefardite community), but that does not keep you from the chaotic traffic and unreliable meetings. Excellent fishes, specially at the famous Restaurant du Port de Peche, which does exactly what it says in the box, fresh fish from the days catch. No time for sightseeing, as the traffic exhausted any possible free time. No sign of Rick or Elsa, though there were many signs of Ferrari, though less than in the past, from what I could see, in the business practices. Felt much safer than in Algeria, but that may be the apparently widespread secret police.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I call this, "Glowing with the force, and swallowing strands of plastic beard, while keeping my grumpy Luke scowl." Punk Daenarys Targaryan in the back there.   Spoiler alert: she's my

So, this happened yesterday. Here are the happy couple in the Gothic Hall in the Oud Stadthuis in Brugge.  Lovely day.   

TM and I had dinner with db and Pigkilla, here in Honolulu! Good food, good conversation, good time had by all.

Posted Images

I like the new decor. :)

Our #1 son has just spent two weeks in Vietnam, and is in Cambodia until next weekend.  We've taken the opportunity to paint his bedroom and two others, which sounds straightforward but has involved an archeological dig in his room to get it to the stage where we can clean and prep it.  

Two more rooms to go, a sitting area and a bathroom.

I hate painting...

• Like 1

What a great place you have there. I particularly like the feeling of space the first image gives. In our two most recent houses we have had views which encompassed multiple rooms. It gives one the very opposite of claustrophobia. (No, not agoraphobia.)

8 hours ago, Gromit said:

I like the new decor. :)

Our #1 son has just spent two weeks in Vietnam, and is in Cambodia until next weekend.  We've taken the opportunity to paint his bedroom and two others, which sounds straightforward but has involved an archeological dig in his room to get it to the stage where we can clean and prep it.  

Two more rooms to go, a sitting area and a bathroom.

I hate painting...

I don't mind painting too much, although we hired people to do this (and it was worth it! a lot of walls, ceilings, and all the cupboards in the kitchen). We still have the family room, 2nd bathroom, our offices and utility room to refinish (floors, ceilings and walls), and then later the master suite (which is ridiculously large, I mean how much empty floor do you need in your bathroom? gonna put a couch in there?) to repaint at least. But those projects are for down the road, when we save up some money!

6 hours ago, Digitalyn said:

Ohmy, this is glorious. Really like what you did DB. Am I also spying a black cat on the first picture?

Yes, that is Ilya Kovalchuk, my Manx baby. he gets more play on twitter than here! but I will put up a few cat pics. I hadn't noticed him wandering into the frame of this one, but he does follow me around :)

26 minutes ago, gil said:

What a great place you have there. I particularly like the feeling of space the first image gives. In our two most recent houses we have had views which encompassed multiple rooms. It gives one the very opposite of claustrophobia. (No, not agoraphobia.)

Thanks! we went from around 1300 ft2 to just over 2800 ft2 plus a 3-car garage (currently holding one car...I think we may be the only household in the entire town that only has one car! and many boxes, both full and broken down), so it's really nice to be able to spread out :) we also have a huge (for us) yard with Joshua Trees and various cactus and deserty plants.

• Like 1

Jeez, Deb - you can't be an Amurrican in a Forester.  It's gotta be an F150 at the least.

How do you haul the 8x4 plywood/dirt bikes/snowmobiles in a Subaru, fer Chrissakes?

All that time in Canadia has had an effect, I can tell.

• Like 1

Had a conversation with a friend who's in the process of breaking up with her man of -- not sure, six years?  They'd sat down and had The Talk some time yesterday, so she was a bit zombie-ish this morning.  It'll be okay.  They'll both be okay, might even be better off apart than together.  And they'll definitely remain friends.  But it's still pretty heavy shit right now.

I'm emotionally kind of tired now, myself, but she needed someone to talk to.  I listened, only offered a few kind words [some for him too; I know him].  Hope it helped.

Was going to return a couple books Mz.Clean's pastor had lent me, but I'll do that tomorrow.  For now, sleep.

Cheers,

Patrick.

Adapting to my "new" job with my colleague.

I joined them 7 months ago, she was actually supposed to mentor me a while as a communication assistant for their Union Workers but as soon as I arrived she parted on sick leave for... Well, 7 months. Which was good to be honest, as a subeditor I was mainly working alone. Wasn't easy sometimes as the other employees werent patient with me, not knowing half the infos she should have mentored me about, but in the end I managed well and they hired me permanently.

I was dreading her return. She's an ok worker but as a person she's very racist. First week with her was tough, I had to deal with a racist joke a day and it didn't bode well with me at all. Luckily she took the hint and since she realised she better have me on an amicable level, she's keeping her comments about that in check.

Small victory I guess?

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Gromit said:

Jeez, Deb - you can't be an Amurrican in a Forester.  It's gotta be an F150 at the least.

How do you haul the 8x4 plywood/dirt bikes/snowmobiles in a Subaru, fer Chrissakes?

All that time in Canadia has had an effect, I can tell.

LOL you say that as though there aren't thousands of square miles of Canada full of pickup truck owners!

Scott wants a pickup eventually, and I want something small and possibly convertible eventually. Meanwhile we have this, which can hold a fair amount and has a sunroof :)

11 hours ago, heavyboots said:

2800 sq ft with a 3 car garage?! You have no idea how envious I am! I am in like 1300 sq ft with a dilapidated carport and about 4000 sq ft of bare ground that desperately wants to become a weed-infested fire hazard, lol…

It's amazing what you can get for your money when you're kind of in the middle of nowhere :P

We've been letting things grow in the yard, too, seems mean to take away what the little buns and other creatures eat. I imagine the neighbours are cranky about it xD

OMG I ran over a snake earlier!! I thought it was a strip of tar on the road, but when I got there it was too late to deke, it looked as though it might have been a rattlesnake but I didn't stop to check, I was wearing flip flops and I wasn't sure it was dead.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, db said:

Scott wants a pickup eventually, and I want something small and possibly convertible eventually. Meanwhile we have this, which can hold a fair amount and has a sunroof :)

Is this not convertible?  With a sunroof?

bestop_truck_supertop.jpg

[Okay, could be smaller, but there are small trucks...]

Cheers,

Patrick.

5 hours ago, db said:

OMG I ran over a snake earlier!! I thought it was a strip of tar on the road, but when I got there it was too late to deke, it looked as though it might have been a rattlesnake but I didn't stop to check, I was wearing flip flops and I wasn't sure it was dead.

Don't touch even dead rattlesnakes! They can still bite you purely by reflex action.

But yeah, if you drive around in the boonies at all in the west, be prepared to accidentally squash the occasional snake or rabbit. Rabbit reflexes are very badly geared towards cars and bikes and anything that isn't actively trying to catch them. They do these random zig-zags straight under your wheels sometimes. :(

• Like 2

Yeah we have idiot rabbits in our community, you figure they would figure it out after a few generations- Sometimes when I am stopped and they are darting pointlessly around I am temped to shoot them just cause they annoy me- Yeah, it drives me nuts-

Garage_Rubin, when I say smaller, I mean considerably smaller than the Subie. ;)

HB, thanks for that info, I wouldn't have poked it but I would have gotten close enough to take a pic and try to identify. Problem is there are so many varieties of snakes around here, and most of them look pretty similar, according to the californiaherps.com site. I am not reflexively scared of snakes the way I am of spiders, but given there are known to be rattlesnakes around here, I'm going to proceed with extreme caution in the brush.

• Like 3