• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I call this, "Glowing with the force, and swallowing strands of plastic beard, while keeping my grumpy Luke scowl." Punk Daenarys Targaryan in the back there.   Spoiler alert: she's my

So, this happened yesterday. Here are the happy couple in the Gothic Hall in the Oud Stadthuis in Brugge.  Lovely day.   

TM and I had dinner with db and Pigkilla, here in Honolulu! Good food, good conversation, good time had by all.

Posted Images

Argh, think I missed out on this happening thanks to my currently being locked off Twitter while I argue why they need a phone number to validate my humanity after being provably human the last 10 years… 

If you guys do another one sign me up!

19 hours ago, editengine said:

Is anybody else not getting notifications? I set it to send me a daily email and didn't get one yet, though I appear to be following stuff?

I've just looked at the desktop app, clicked the Hamburger icon in the top left, then File | Preferences... | Notifications

I believe that the "Send me email notifications..." option at the bottom is a subset of "When I'm not active on desktop..." settings, so if you're running the app, notifications will go through to the OS instead.

Hmmm seems like my settings are right. Nada in the spam folder either...

Well, back to work for a short, intense week.  

DC is basically an armed camp as we proceed with the coronation. Which is kind of weird right? Its like the founders wanted some of the pomp of the monarchy without the monarchy.  Do other democracies make a new executive taking office into such a big deal?

OTOH, the transition is a freight train steamrolling right over hapless Trump appointees that are scrambling to either get embedded in the career federal workforce or looking for work. A lot of the biggest names are finding themselves not worth what most former WH staff are worth on the private market. Some seem to feel like they are two weeks from hanging out on street corners with a sign reading "will lobby for food".

Fuckers. All of them. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out, starting with the douchebag at Census that tried to push staff to come up with a bullshit way to count undocumented people.

• Like 2

7:00. Alarm sounds. Get up half sleep and set up breakfast.

7:15 Shower. Get a new bandage for the left arm (blood donation yesterday). 

7:30 End grooming. Check the weather forecast and pick clothes and shoes. 

7:40 Check the mobile work backpack that I take daily (MS Surface, masks, powerbank, notebooks, alcohol gel...)

7:45 Breakfast while checking news and first wave of work e-mail (America and Asia).

8:00 Make sure my wife is awake and conscious. Wish good morning. Go to work.

8:15 Arrival at work. Temperature and mask check. Get into my office.

8:30 Start answering e-mails, while the mails from Europe start to arrive.

9:00 First Teams meeting. Raw material supplier of a modified  nanomaterial for UHP Tires. Dancing around which is the Tire manufacturer. As we have a patent with them, the cat ends out of the bag. They want a higher price, we compromise with the same price higher volume.

9:35 Local crisis. The pallets of bags for a cod oil manufacturer in UK do not fit in the 45' container. The shrink wrap is not tight enough and they have grown a beer belly. Loader desperate after breaking a couple bags, driver angry due to the delay in loading. Contact customer and arrange to send 16 rather than 22 pallets. Follow up discussion with packaging unit and shift overseer. General manager arrives and it becomes his problem.

10:00 Second Teams meeting. EMEA purchaser from the tire manufacturer, to confirm the price and availability of the material. Fishing for the car manufacturers that have approved the new material. No luck. Refusal to commit to a time frame. More information the first week of February.

10:30 Report to the General manager about the previous meeting. Set up two different plans for February, depending on the potential feedback.

10:45 Coffee with my former doctorate student, now R&D Leader for rubber applications, about the results of the last experiments.

11:00 Another coffee, now with the colleagues of the commercial office (talking from our offices with doors open). Discussing COVID rates and what would be a good car to buy. Two are shopping.

11:15 After the coffee, in my office, but two meters away, the logistics manager for Africa and Asia tells me in confidence she is getting divorced. Some support, some practical details, such as possibility to leave early this week and the next. Barely manage to avoid asking too many questions. More relieved than sad, so I congratulate her. It is cruel that we cannot hug.

11:35 After rejecting three calls (once in the meeting at 10:30, two during the personal talk) from our French agent, I call him back. A customer is desperate because the containers from China are late, and needs material now. An endemic problem this month, with freight costs from China three times the usual rates. It is possible next week, but impossible this week. Quick visit to the Production manager to see what can be done, specially as this is expected to continue at least till the end of the Chinese New Year. 

12:00 Check with the Food applications research leader, as we are setting up a new equipment to manufacture a new grade. It is unstable, so all our prototype testing and preliminary sampling will be delayed, as production will not allow further trials for two weeks (my fault, or the French, or the Chinese, depending on your point of view). End up having another coffee. 

12:30 Some time to cut down the inbox size. Mainly requests for information or price offers. A customer calls in between, but it is possible to multitask. An interesting project about hydrolized proteins in a slaughterhouse. Getting something similar to dried milk whey, but from blood and marginal meat cuts. As lactoserum is a big market for us, could be good.

13:00 Urgent call from the CEO. A Turkish acquaintance has an opportunity in Romania. Prepare an offer, cut down another 10% because it is not about money, prepare a distribution contract. Point out we cannot give exclusivity. Prepare list of exceptions.

13:45 Check the internets before lunch. Write this piece.

14:30 Lunch (fixed time slot and fixed table) in the company canteen.

Expected...

15:00 Back from lunch, another opportunity to beat the unread counter to zero.

15:30 Phone call with German agent. Expected cancellation of exhibition in June. Review of current customers. Family, COVID situation in Germany, local lockdown troubles (a small town near Hamburg). Arrange Teams call with two main German customers in February.

16:30 Teams meeting of the Regulatory Group of our industry association. Filling up information requests from EFSA (European Food Safety Agency, in Parma) and ECHA (European Chemicals Agency, Helsinki), and polishing the results of the toxicology reports. It was more fun when we would travel to a meet...

17:30 Typical moment for special requests from management (the official working day ends at 17:00), as I will be the only one around, after the meeting. Last battle against the unread counter. Arrange through WhatsApp if we need to buy anything for home.

18:XX Leave work.

18:XX+15 Probably Lidl, for lactose free pasteurised milk, cheeses, Haribo gummibears and any daily offer that draws my attention. I also have to go to the neighborhood butcher to have him slice and dice the whole cured ham (8 kg) we got at Christmas.  

19:30 Arrival home. Put shopping in fridge. Wash bedheets (all Thursdays). Decide between computer game, TV series or book (movie if I already know she will be late).

20:30 My wife gets home. Update on daily activities.

21:00 What to put on TV, what we are going to dine. Any pending activities or necessary actions for tomorrow.

21:30 Dinner preparation. It will include hanging the bedsheets out (unless it is freezing).

22:00 Phone check up with assorted parents and occasionally other family members. Dinner after the calls.

22:30 Continuing the entertainment (TV/DVD, PC or book).

00:30 Wake my wife and make her go to bed. Go to bed as well.

Edited by Psychophant
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

So the Girl and the Kid and I moved about 8 years ago from FL to MD.  One of the benefits of this was space from the Girl's folks. What I have come to accept in the 12 years we have been together now is that my wife is the adult in the family. The narcissistic parents had to learn to fend for themselves a bit when she left, although they continue to call her almost every day to vent their frustrations, with each other, with other family, with the world. 

In the intervening time the Kid has grown up and become aware that grandma in particular just isn't a very nice person. Its hard to watch your kid slowly realize that this person that they really tried to love just doesn't know how to love them back.  Grandpa is a little better, a perpetual victim but he has a lot of love for his granddaughter and we have tried very had to maintain that. 

They are in extraordinarily poor health due to decades of no exercise, fast food, and bad luck.  Their house is a two story pack-ratters squat at this point, full of random shit, guns, and stolen school supplies from when her mom was a teacher. Since they insist that any repairs are 'too expensive' and they pester old friends from their temple to fix stuff every now and then. Neither of them can take the stairs, and the chair lift they got for free ten years ago is broken and they insist they can't afford to repair it. 

Now they have COVID. Mom got it first, after disregarding COVID protocols over and over (going maskless to parties, restaurants, etc). Her first response was to try and keep anybody from finding out. People she had been around? She refused to tell them.  To his credit her husband called the temple cantor, who is a massive gossip, and told her.

She then got him sick (on purpose we think, she kept going into his room and trying to get close to him. These are people that haven't shared a bedroom in YEARS).  So far their symptoms are mild but since both have every single comorbidity that exists they were taken the hospital as a matter of precaution.  And of course, they are depending on my wife to figure shit out for them. Neither is vaccinated, they apparently thought a magic carpet full of vaccine and snacks would be deposited on their doorstep I guess? My wife called and made their appointments for them. But COVID found them first. Now my wife is dealing with other family, who are concerned, and her parents (who are both angry WITH HER).

Now, in the midst of a pandemic my wife will have to fly to Florida and figure their shit out for them again.  I am fucking furious. Is that wrong of me? I don't know. But fuck them.

My parents by contrast, despite being a couple of years older, are healthy and have just gotten their second vaccine shots. So that puts me at ease a bit.  Anyway, sorry to vent here but I'm trying to be cool so the Kid doesn't get upset and be supportive of my wife that has it a lot worse than I do.

• Sad 3
  • 1 month later...

At this point in pandemic I feel like I've got my routine down pat.

Here is Monday.

Get up around 6-6:30

Coffee, the Times, the Post, the Journal. YouTube videos of rainy streets or beaches.

7:30 go to the gym. Home by 9. Shower.

Breakfast is usually some variation of potato, onion, sausage, veggies (whatever is lying around) and 3 eggs with a lot of hot sauce.

9:30-10:00 work starts. I normally have my schedule full days in advance so I don't waste time or miss things. Lots of water with lemon. More coffee.

5~ish I finish work, start making dinner. I make dinner 4-5 times a week. Family time. Beer.

9- Adult time. Whiskey and weed. Well, whiskey every now and then, most nights it is weed and snacks. TV with boobs. Reading. 

11-12 Bed. 

The weekends are essentially the same, with a lot less work and more naps.

Edited by editengine