The WGB
Sign in to follow this  
Garage_Rubin

So what happened to YOU today?

I would say there's a chance that Scott and I would travel to Mesa to see all of you, after March (I'm working for a candidate in the March primary and we also have two sets of houseguests in March).

• Like 2

I'm in my new place. Got a room off of CL for $550/month. Housemates are pretty cool, kinda nerdy like me. It's not in the greatest location for someone without a car :( But, at least I have the eBike.

sharing the house with a dog and two cats this past week and a half. I love both species very much, but TBH I think I am slightly more of a cat person

• Like 3

Dude! I haven't really been keeping up, but it sounds like you're in a better place now. I can only be happy for that :) 

So you've probably seen on twitter we had a bit of a meat in London earlier this week. It was a quick one, most of us only being there for the one day, some for a bit longer. Despite it not being formally organized other than "hey are you coming?" messages on Twitter, there was a surprisingly big group actually. Some old familiars, some new faces. Catching up with everyone is always lovely. The event itself was good, even if the interviewer seemed keen on going through as many spoilers as possible in the time he had. The audience questions were better than the interviewers. Afterwards there was only a time for some signing and a quick group photo with Bill; but so it goes. One thing that struck most of us is that he seemed frail and tired :/ I hope after the tour is over he has a lot of opportunity to rest and recover. 

I just don't know if I can hack it. I feel like every time I try to code something non-trivial, it inevitably turns out a fucking sloppy mess.

The company will let me know within a week or two if they want me to stay on.

I feel incompetent as hell, either way.

Dude, if you're willing to do the work to make it work? That's really almost all they care about. I'm a *terrible* coder, but I code a lot of stuff I shouldn't be allowed to code just because I'm the only one willing to sit down to expend the effort to make it work. No one else is willing to, so they tolerate my code.

• Like 1

Oh, man.

Yeah, I actually hear that a lot (that, like, 90% of any job is stupidly showing up).

I still feel incompetent. But, if they decide I'm competent enough to hire, I guess I could get over that.

I'd still be wary of using any "mission critical" software I wrote if my life depended on it! 😮

(Like. Please don't ask me to code, IDK, pacemaker firmware 😮 )

the other thing is part of it is, I think, just out of my hands: like, the "business need" of the company

In the sense that you could be the best coder in the world, but you'd probably have a tough time getting hired as, IDK, a butcher.

Not *that* damn misaligned here, but I mean just, like, the company might not be in such a hiring mood, simply because of (say) COVID-19

so, yeah, I *do* get me not getting hired is not always necessarily a reflection on me

I should know by the middle of next week, either way!

Edited by xen0phile

18 hours ago, xen0phile said:

I just don't know if I can hack it. I feel like every time I try to code something non-trivial, it inevitably turns out a fucking sloppy mess.

Imposter syndrome is a bitch, but we all deal with it from time to time. 

When doing front-end stuff, I used to get terribly discouraged when I saw some solutions that were so clever they were beyond me. Like, a function I would write in 10 lines some people would do in a single line that I couldn't even begin to comprehend. But then I kinda realized it doesn't matter... Sure, it might have taken extra lines to get there, and some would call that less "elegant" or whatever, but in the end all that really matters is that my solution worked and that you I could look at it and understand what it's doing.

So, as long as you're delivering to the specifications, and delivering it on time, you are doing OK. And if you work with others they'll expect your code to conform to this or that standard or style, and that's just another requirement you need to meet.

• Like 2

No word, yet, on whether I'm in. (The deadline for them informing me is April 16th)

The good(?) thing is, the closer to the deadline it is before I get "hire/no-hire" news, the more likely it is that it will be a "hire" decision.

I think this because, if they make a hire offer, there is more involved stuff (filling out all the paperwork, getting my offer package organized, etc).

As opposed to them just saying "Thanks, goodbye", which (I'm pretty damn sure) is simpler (and thus would come sooner).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, xen0phile said:

How *do* programmers do it with, IDK, pacemaker firmware, or ATC software, or the SCADA for a hydroelectric dam? Guhhh!

I suppose build in a lot of redundancies and make sure there is no single point of failure? Also, I think critical systems are deliberately run on simpler technology. Also also, I would really not be surprised if some of that stuff is also just hacked together bits copied from stack overflow ;)

shit got derailed due to COVID-19

they won't actually give me the decision until the week of April 27th

annoying as hell >:(

(annoyed at the fact of the pandemic, not them, to be clear, lol)

Edited by xen0phile

Damn! Sorry to hear that Xeno… on the bright side perhaps you can escape AZ before the 110-115 weather hits, I guess… unless you're job hunting in PHX still?

I can't remember if I even mentioned this here, but I got cold-called by a recruiter for Facebook. Anyway, had a series of interviews--some good, some bad--and am anxiously awaiting news from them.

It'd be remote, so I'd be able to live in Oly, still (Oly to Seattle or Redmond would be a helluva commute)