The WGB
Sign in to follow this  
Garage_Rubin

So what happened to YOU today?

I work a block from the White House and I walk a slightly longer course to get to the metro to avoid the tourists that crowd the sidewalk near the WH.

We have had houseguests for the last week here. Florida friends that now live in NC.  He is in the Army and will deploy again soon.  Its hard to know what to say to him about that.  I saw people thanking him for his service and all I could think was that it seems like such a terrible waste and endless war doesn't seem to be protecting us from a damn thing.

They have a 2 year old boy, a species that I lack experience with.  They seem to have two settings, 1) screaming maniac and 2) asleep.

Yep, and because the planner is preggo we are already in prep mode.  If you want to come again let me know.  Also, if you connect with a local group I can help with more passes.

Cool! I made a hotel reservation in town so I could spend more time sleeping :lol:

Now I just have to make enough money to justify spending it ;)

I just remarked to the Girl that today was a damn near perfect day.  I woke up late, played video games, napped, had sex, went to the gym, and grilled steaks for dinner.

She honestly had no idea what I was talking about.  In her mind she was thinking about the stuff she DIDN'T do.  We didn't work in the yard, we didn't do this or that.

She had to run through each of the day's events one by one before she figured out what I meant.  Then she remarked that 'Of course, you had the perfect day for a guy', rolled her eyes and walked away.

• Like 1

I met ten firefighters.

The Girl walked into my office, said 'I feel dizzy' sat sat right down on her butt.  I was about to tell her to stop screwing around when her eyes went all wide and fixed and she slumped backward, whacking her head on the floor.

I called 911 within 30 seconds and within 2 minutes she was awake and semi-responsive.  It took maybe 8-9 minutes for a fire truck and a rescue ambulance to show up and ten very eager volunteer firefighters to occupy my living room.

In the end they decided she likely just got up too fast after sitting on the couch too long, and with her history of feeling dizzy she just passed out. 

Scared the crap out of me and the Kid though.  She is napping now, and from now on I will hear "I told you so" when she tells me she feels like she is going to pass out.

Edited by editengine
  • Like 1

I used to get that dizziness ALL THE TIME, and still get it now occasionally. I never fainted, though sometimes it makes my vision black out for a few seconds so that probably means I wasn't too far off. I always just chalked it up to my naturally lower than average blood pressure.

She seems fine now, I think she was a little embarrassed about it.

No work today so I am smoking a pork butt and we are going to tailgate and watch the fireworks tonight.  I feel like I need to keep an eye on her for a few days.

So bad news is, GR, the minibots and I are going to be kicked out of our house.

Good news is, we're not quite yet homeless (again).

Docu-signing miles of legalese all morning, just smashing that 'place electronic signature here' button like a 13 year old in a Steve Bannon-puppeted crypto-fash Fortnite stream smashing like and subscribe and 'buy lootbox' buttons.

Or alternatively, like some kind of mortgage-acquiring xillennial(?) mofo while waiting for our current house to be auctioned off. This bucket of termites, murderous fireants and decades of neglect; this collateralized Goldman yacht-payment obligation of rotten pine and corrugated rust overgrown with alien invasive trees and subprime overpricing; this victim of years of squatters who housed goats in the master bed, left mountainous trash piles inside and out, tore the 70's paisley wall paneling off another room's walls in opioid and meth-addled daymares... 90% probability this 'asset' will be bought back by the same bank-like entity parented by a megabank Matryoshka dolled within a holding company on behalf of an unjailed financial WMD-user who helped bankrupt the original Portland hippy owners with exhorbitant cancer-rent and 401k-stealing economic collapse.

So yes, on the bright side, it looks increasingly likely that I'll be the first in three generations of Hawaiians on my dad's side to not be a neofeudal peasant for my entire life, living in a ghetto and working till I'm dead paying rent and undying fealty to some fucking son of a WASP Puritan American missionary or other assorted flavor of crazy rich Chinese money-mover, Silicon Valley surveillance capitalist 1984-creator, Saudi F-35 purchaser, or other billionaire making homeless and under-housed people by storing their money in empty multi-million dollar condominiums.

But most importantly, it looks like GR and the minibots and I will have a place to sleep that isn't the back of a Mazda tribute, a van in a Wal mart parking lot, a 7 x 9 foot closet in my parents' house, a $2000 /month studio wedged between meth labs, or any of those other places we've previously called home.

Our real estate agent is especially un-realestateagent-ey. As GR mentioned, 'we had no idea he was one for months, which is NOT normal'. 50's, grey, balding but no combover, always brings big buckets of gourmet food to get togethers and friends with a ex-Cuban food critic lady friend in her 80's, fond of anti-Trump Facebook diatribes. A good guy who works his butt off and who genuinely wants to help out.

I found it interesting though, an oft-repeated comment was, "You could take that unattached studio, rent it out for 600, 700. Pay for your mortgage with that, and use the proceeds to work on eventually flipping the property, getting another. Maybe another two places, rent those out... Nobody lives in a home forever, you're always looking to what you can make of it."

I didn't say it but GR and I had the same thought on the drive home from showings at the actually exceptionally room-ey place: "We just want to live inside of it. Not be rained on. Not have our laptop stolen, birth certificate and green card lost. We don't need to make money off of a house(s)."

Another one of the older mainland transplants commented, "I feel so out of place on Sunday, taking six hours off from working." I read Americans work 499 hours (three months) more than the French, on average. Even 137 hours more than the goddamn 6-day-a-week bushido-ass *Japanese*.

"Nobody lives in a home. Homes are just there to make you more money."

Wild calvinist imperial capitalist suicidal conditioning shit.

Anyway, dad has helped co-sign. As I mentioned, he forked over the majority of his income of his entier adult life to exhorbitant rents, helping pay for my sis' stupidly expensive and mostly useless college degree, and dad lost most of the rest to stock market crashes. Aunt is bankrupted as well. Just like my grandpa who sent all his meager life savings off to sweepstakes scams over the last 10 years of his life, talking to me about how he was going to, 'win that milion one day, and buy you, your dad, and all of us a big house to live in'.  He died penniless.

I could tell dad was tearing up a little at the idea that we actual Hawaiians might have any property whatsoever to our name. He was like, "Chris, when the next crash happens and we're screwed out of everything we have and they gentrify our place into 10,000 dollar condos, I'm driving your mom and I in a mobile home onto that property."

I was like, "It's ok dad, we'll have like five rooms to live in."

Cause homes are for fucking living in. 

Edited by TwiliteMinotaur
  • Like 4

Well, I don't know whether to heart that post or not. But congrats to the whole MinoBot family on the new home at least!

And @editengine, I nearly pass out pretty frequently too when I stand up too fast. Glad that sounds like that's all it was. o_O

• Like 1

@heavyboots haha, yeah it's got some silver linings but also a pretty dark cloud!  We're optimistic about the house situation working out but it's not 100% certainty right now. Supposed to open escrow today, which I'm just starting to wrap my head around with the help of the great agent we have. This is all brand new shit for me, my dad, most my entire family who have all rented for generations like I said, but if it all works out, it will be a great development for the Minobot family(s).

Edited by TwiliteMinotaur
  • Like 2

I'm not 100% clear...your current place is being auctioned, and you've found another place to buy? or you've made an offer on the place and hope the bank accepts it (which you rate as 10% chance)?

My paws are crossed, in any case!

3 hours ago, TwiliteMinotaur said:

@dbThe place we're in is being auctioned and we're working on buying a new place with family. It's not in the bag yet, but our real estate agent seems pretty confident about it!

And the place we are hopefully probably buying (waiting to hear back from our realtor who is waiting for the seller's response) has plenty of room for us, TM's home office, the kids, as well as extra space for if when the Oahu family needs a backup.

• Like 3

Closed down the Coastal cruise that is the high point of this year holidays. To escape the local effects of climate change (this week we have maximums of 40 to 44ºC, 108-115ºF) we are going to Norway. It is intended also as a touchstone for my wife's dream trip (and I like it too!), crossing Canada by train and then taking a cruise up the coast to Alaska. Next year we should return to Japan but she is considering this as a better option for August, if she cannot move part of her holidays. Japan in August is a subtropical nightmare.

Edited by Psychophant

200+ strikes in less than an hour in the muni area, 1750+ in western washington during the same time frame.

That was a once in a lifetime storm for this region.

• Like 1