The WGB
Sign in to follow this  
Garage_Rubin

So what happened to YOU today?

LOL. If I knew more (anything, really) about GIS, haha.

(actually, TBH, I average around 14-15/hr for these temp jobs, which are tedious as fuck, but that, and I get to live rent free)

kinda fucked up, but I hope when one parent dies, the other dies soon after--I really do *not* want to deal with either one, lingering on, as a singleton for decades upon decades

I am not really all that altruistic, but between me and mine, I don't want to go first. I know she could handle it fine, but thinking of how heartbroken she would be kills me. It's a difficult quandary. I'd really rather not endure this place without her, and would probably spend my remaining years making everyone around me as miserable as humanly possible if she were to go first. I would probably get murdered within the first week after she left.

There is no selfless answer.

Found out just a few minutes ago that a man I respected and admired left his $100k a year job with a respected advocacy firm to make $200k a year working for a payday lender.  He will be a lobbyist protecting them so they can victimize poor people.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/loans/opploans-small-personal-loan-review/

Loan example: For a borrower with poor credit, a $1,400 OppLoans installment loan with a repayment term of five months at 140% APR would carry:

• Monthly payments: $385
  • Total interest: $526
  • Total amount due: $1,926
  • Like 1

I live in the DMV too and to claim that $100k is too little is such bullshit.  Your commute is a little longer, your house a bit smaller.  You aren't starving.  If you want to make more money you can go work for somebody that doesn't make their money by hurting people.

Fucker.  I am so pissed at this asshole.  I could be making 3x what I make now if I had gone back to a bank.  I would be running a compliance team by now, making excuses for why my bank doesn't make loans to low income people. And at night I would try and not think about my role in the misery that caused.

I wonder what he will think about at night.

• Like 1

Ugh. That is such a pisser.

Is it straight $$? or maybe his family needs better health insurance or something.

I still am fortunate enough that I don't have to contribute to anyone's misery in order to put food on the table, that I can think of.

I talked with a mutual friend and apparently the asshole's his wife pressured him to do it, and he had become disillusioned with the advocacy work.  I get that.  Quit, fine.  Go work for a legit company that isn't built around the concept of predatory exploitation.  He was making $100k a year and now he will make $200k.  Even in DC anybody making $100k a year isn't scraping by , people that say they can't make ends meet on a six figure income are just assholes.  My old boss put it best, 'if you can't close the racial wealth gap for your community you can do it for yourself".  This is just greed.

Why is buying pants hard?  I have been wearing some Nautica jeans I got from Goodwill maybe a year ago that are 38 inches in the waist according to their label.  After losing about 15 pounds this past year I am swimming in them and some khakis I wear to work a lot (also 38 inches at the waist).  I went to a store today and bought a pair of Levi jeans and Dockers khakis, both in 36 inch waists.  Not even close to fitting.  I am not buying Gabriel Hounds here, folks.  I just want something that buttons and doesn't fall off my ass, how is labeling hard?

• Like 1

Is there a 'measure'?  My waist is more like 42 inches according to a tape measure. This is a size I have NEVER bought, so what have I been wearing?

I am about ready to try business casual sweatpants.

I just buy at Costco and swap until I get the right sizes lol.

But I agree, no two clothing items at Costco are the same size even though they're labelled the same size…

After more than 30 days in hospital in six weeks, I could take my brother to his home this morning. It started with a ghost infection, that became a painless appendicitis (less than 0.5% are painless), and then back to the hospital with Pneumonia. So when I was not traveling I went straight from work in the evening to visit for a while and discuss those pointless things you talk about to avoid discussing the actual illness. Novels (he has read Rudyard Kipling's collected works while in the hospital), music, TV series and history. Usually modern but at the end moving to XVIth century politics. 

Most of the time they were not sure what was wrong, so he has had a whole battery of modern techniques, from NMR to CAT, from echographs to a colonoscopy. At the end the old X-rays were the deciding factor. 

It is weird how it puts your life in a limbo, being stuck in a hospital, tied up to a drip. We spent plenty of time in the chapel, that was always empty, because even before the pneumonia he is very susceptible to lye, and they use it in industrial amounts when cleaning. After the last three weeks the first thing was getting rid of all the perishable foods, as he went for two days the second time and stayed 20. Visitors get also stuck in that no-time, but at least you are free to go at any time, and restart your life.

To compound matters, I broke the gear stick in his car (an old piece of junk he refuses to change) when moving it around the parking to make sure the battery was not dead. So as a penitence I am his chauffeur, at least till he gets his car back tomorrow. 

Fortunately I had not used up the free day at work we get from hospitalization of a close relative. When I go to Casablanca later this week he should have his car again, and if he breaks it again it will be his problem...

I am glad your brother is feeling better.  I did the whole thing with tests and hospitalization a few years ago and I have really not fun memories of the weird neither-world of long term care.

Thanks. We will see the coming weeks.

I know I will sound snobbish, like George Clooney's character in Up in the air, but I hate traveling in summer, when airports and hotels are full of "amateurs", who delay and clog everything, and sometimes even lack basic knowledge, such as the family this morning at breakfast at the hotel in Casablanca, demanding bacon, or the right way of facing a security control. A pocketknife? in 2019?