On 11/17/2016 at 6:49 PM, gil said:

Have you been posting in the old WGB all this time and getting no reply?

Ha! No I realized it was not active and figured that part was closed. 

Xeno, I wish you all the best.

I'm glad I moved away from my tea party run state, Maryland is pretty liberal and the economy and schools are strong. Still, a church and elementary school nearby were graffitied around the election with white power bs. 

There is much going in to this, but my country's refusal to truly address the shame of slavery and the needs of immigrant and native populations have collided with globalization and technology driving a wedge between white urban and suburban/rural people. 

Its going to be a tough four years, if you're  horrified and in the U.S. this is a great time to get active in local groups focused on things you're passionate about. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I call this, "Glowing with the force, and swallowing strands of plastic beard, while keeping my grumpy Luke scowl." Punk Daenarys Targaryan in the back there.   Spoiler alert: she's my

TM and I had dinner with db and Pigkilla, here in Honolulu! Good food, good conversation, good time had by all.

So, this happened yesterday. Here are the happy couple in the Gothic Hall in the Oud Stadthuis in Brugge.  Lovely day.   

Posted Images

I'm kinda running on autopilot lately. Baffled at how to proceed. I wouldn't object to just taking a baseball bat to rando Trumpists at this point, but... tactically, I dunno about "just smashing shit". How do I smash *all* 10s of millions of them? What happens after we overthrow the Trumpist regime? I'm really worried lately that the choice, for human civilization at a large scale, is basically "Putin-esque government, or Somalia-esque government". I know the Chinese status quo already sorta argues this, with the choice being "Confucianism (all "mandate of heaven" style) or barbarism".

Yes, there were individual heroics against the Nazis, but really it took the combined nation-state armed forces (British Empire, US, and (especially) the Soviets). There was this British D-Day film I watched a few years back, "Overlord". The theme of the movie was how the individual solider feels like a cog in a vast inhumanly complex machine. I think... stereotypically, US military films (and *especially* video games) exaggerate individualist heroics?

So what can *I* do? Not a whole lot.

There is also a sense of "The center cannot hold". That is, I am seeing a lot of ideas coming from other leftists (I know I seem to insult leftists a lot, but I legit count myself as one) that seem nearly as bad as fascism. "Yeah, the status quo has failed? Time for Mao 2.0!" or whatever.

Really, selfishly, I'm just trying to protect my own butt. I *think* moving to Canada might keep the fascist wolves away. For a time being, at least.

I do hope I'm just being overly pessimistic, but it feels like the "democracy is a metastable state that will degenerate to a bunch of fascist states" idea of the 1930s is coming back. The light is dying. The long night is coming.

Man, I've wanted you to run away and join the circus for so long, man...  I could almost walk up to the Trumpster Himself and give him a big hug for this right now.  But not quite.  I mean I'm not that fucked-up.  Wouldn't actually touch him with a ten foot pole, if I can avoid it.  ;-P  But, you know, it's the thought that counts.

Anyway, welcome to Canada.  If it'll help with your immigration processing at all, I'd gladly marry one or both of you.

Cheers,

Patrick.

• Like 1

See, it has to be legit (not a marriage of convenience) or the immigration cops will sniff it out.

I think she (Canadian potential financee) is a nice catch (we've known each other for 6+ years now), but, still, this is totally novel for me. I am still a goddamn virgin, even (she knows this, of course).

23 minutes ago, xen0phile said:

[...]

I think she (Canadian potential financee) is a nice catch (we've known each other for 6+ years now), but, still, this is totally novel for me. I am still a goddamn virgin, even (she knows this, of course).

Well I, uh... won't ask about her current genital configuration, but this might be new for her too.

I get the impression you're both quietly enraged about stuff, and kind of wounded.  Hope you can support each other in that, instead of feeding off each other's negativity.  Or maybe I misunderstood her sense of humour [and yours...?].

Cheers,

Patrick.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, xen0phile said:

Garage, did you get my more recent email, re: job hunting? (You never answered whether or not you got the earlier email, so, again, not sure whether or not the internet is eating my emails).

No lost emails, just busy.  I'd indirectly answered your other email here [and on FB, come to think of it], and so didn't think to reply directly.  Job-hunting email still needs a reply though.

Cheers,

Patrick.

My wife has night-shift and my daughter is sleeping. Intoxicated by Kao Liang Chiew. Tried to create a cocktail. Unsuccessful so far.

20161126_000416_zpsc79kvtxb.jpg

Finished reading what happened to you in the last year. Congrats to Meru and Wanderer. 

I miss you people, but have not enough time, except on nights like this.

Edited by Hasa
Fukken auto-correct!
  • Like 5

Right now it seems I can rest a bit from traveling in December. Only visits under 600 km and no planes. So of course when we get a long week-end next week, what better to do than to organize an hedonist escape 500 km away, to Bordeaux. My wife is a dedicated Gordon Ramsey fan, while I am more "Meh!" about the whole Food TV phenomenon. So we have reserved at both his posh restaurant (jacket required, jeans totally out) and the more normal brasserie, mainly because the brasserie is more his "TV style". The other reason to go to Bordeaux with the car is to stock up in French ingredients, from the fancy to the pedestrian. And some wine, though we still have some bottles from last year's trip.

Ironically, perhaps, Psychophant, Beryl and I are going to Spain soon (San Pedro de Alcantara to play golf), and will return with Burgos Morcilla, Serrano Ham, Brandy, Anis (great for cooking fish), these big Muscat raisins with seeds, and a variety of other foodstuffs unique to Spain.

• Like 3

Just hired on my first four employees permanently indentured peons contractors for Silver Spook Games!  Now I'm going to go light up a Money cigar and fire off call-out Tweets at Carrier and the UAW from 30,000 feet.  Several voice actors/actresses, although no Tara Strong-magnitude superstars, no SAG or union folks, so I don't have to worry about crossing any virtual picket lines of the Video Game Voice Actor's union strike.  If them bros ever come at me, I'mma put my gold-wave tupee on and start a flame war though, "These damn VAs need to do less talking...  More... talk-working!" xD 

The bug hunting has been lethargic- I've got like ten 'will-volunteer-for-kudos' testers, and with several of them, it's like playing email tag with a sloth afflicted with Lou Gehrig's and a child-emperor complex.  To increase the quality and speed of the work flow, I've also signed on a K-Rad French alpha tester whose avatar is Kung Fury's 'Hackerman'.  That was all the job interview I needed to do.  That and the fact his reports span multiple pages with key alpha-channel bugs highlighted in red MS paint circles, and the delivery time is faster than an Amazon robot factory on Cyber Monday.  And he groks all the canon Terminator AND all the Blomkamp references in the game.  The only thing is the 12 hour time differences and US-Euro conversion fee crap in Paypal.  I'm working on getting him to accept crypto as payment- reduce fees, increase privacy, and stick it to the financial Illuminati all at the same time!

I'm still pretty green the whole business/legal end, but it has been a good learning process, and it helps light a fire under one's posterior to know you have a business obligation, not just this attitude of, "Maybe if I feel like doing some fun video game dev today and I don't have a yoga class/kale cleanse that sugarparents paid for, then maybe I'll dabble in it a little..."  I'm talking with the Wadjet Eye guy as well, getting some game-biz advice on the pros/cons of DRM, and feedback on Neofeud.  I think we're in a slightly similar boat in that while we're both passionate about these certain types of games and stories, we're also parents and heads of households and are heads of small (even micro-) businesses.  You have to juggle a lot of hats.  There's a time for the beret, stripe shirt and multicolored socks, a time for the Metallica tee, Mountain Dew and Cheetohs, a time for the Brookes Brothers suit and the cigar.

Edited by TwiliteMinotaur
  • Like 3

Hey, sorry I never really got into coding/debugging for this project.

Yes, if you ever do have the budget to throw money my way, I probably could make the time :)

Like I've mentioned elsewhere, tho, I got that warehouse job, moving, stacking, and cabling server racks. Which isn't great, but isn't terrible, either. Tedious work, but our boss is pretty good, and coworkers cool enough to stand being around 40 hours/week. Best of all, it's paying $15/hr, which is laughable for a lot of my cohort (who tend to have gotten into proper high-paying dev jobs); but, to single, childless manchild xen0, it feels like such a goddamn windfall. Already fantasizing about WTF I'ma do with all this new money. Pay of that fucking debt! GEt a car! Get my own apartment! Be a legit adult sort!

I'm still hunting for better jobs, but now I am flat-out rejecting anything below $15/hr.

I guess it's a bit like old timey factory jobs: the pay is decent enough to live on, and you're basically assembling devices the entire day.