Garage_Rubin

Affecting me personally the biggest:

1. I require expensive drugs to maintain my sanity (thanks, Obamacare). No clue what's gonna happen now.

2. the industry I work in (software/computers) is so damn connected to globalism, I don't like that globalism will get so soundly rebuffed.

This is just white guy Ian. I realize it will be even worse for, e.g., recent immigrants.

Don't feel too bad.  I work in software computers too, as globalized as they come.  

GR and I and the Minikids are a young struggling multiracial family.  We're not happy with any of the bigotous, racist or sexist stuff that came out of his mouth.  Hell, if I was living on the mainland, somewhere not in the Beltway or in the orbit of Silicon Valley, I would be afraid of racial profiling and possibly one of us being deported.  We don't know where benefits will be.  It's not fun to think about a Trump presidency, it sucks and it's scary.

But I recognize that a small fraction of the population winning in the new tech, hyper-globalized economy and a large portion getting hammered is not sustainable.  This is Brexit 2.0.

I don't like Trump, but let's just say I was 'hedged for The Donald'.  It was apparent this was coming.

Trump's 'surprise' victory against projections of all of the MSM, against Obama, Bill Clinton, Al Gore, not just the democratic but a large portion of the republican party who joined the Clinton Army... This should be heard as a referendum against them all.  Against the media, against both parties, against the financial elite, against the military industrial complex, against all power.  You cannot win by giving million dollar speeches to Goldman Sachs in the Hyatt, and expect to use that money to pay CNN / MSNBC pundits, Beyonce, and the Democratic political machine to run your propaganda and win you the election.  

Also, if Bernie was up against Trump, we wouldn't be all crying in our confetti.  

I think I mentioned this 9 months ago, but nothing is going to change unless we get out of the echo chambers, which Clinton failed to do.  We have to listen to unpopular opinions, listen to people who are different and hurting, and try to understand.  And be real- not a calculator.  The kind of quality and ethics we demand of our food should be demanded from politics.  What the true left used to do.  What Bernie represented.

Edited by TwiliteMinotaur

Been debugging and debugging and debugging for countless hours... That and binging on e-education with regards to cryptocurrency, smart contracts, smart law, smart government (oxymoron I know!), and other blockchain-related tech.  Just also discovered a decentralized Uber-disruptor released in Austin TX by Cell 411 that allows drivers to pay in cryptocurrency or even silver.  Who de-monopolizes the monopolisers?  I'm starting to buy the manifesto line, "The blockchain will do for money what the internet did for information."

I think it would be cool to sell my game Neofeud when it comes out and accept all cryptocurrencies, on top of fiat.  Still haven't settled on the distribution platform, but I'm in contact with Wadjet Eye at least during this testing phase (fingers crossed).

Also keep seeing these giant smorgasbords of intelligence/cyber job postings lobbed at me like grenades by LinkedIn and these job/networking sites and it's a little creepy.  I don't think I really qualify for many of these and you need military clearance etc. for many of them.  

Also, been running the numbers on potential future solar systems for when the Minobot does the big move to the new island.  We're thinking of getting a cargo van-to-RV conversion, 1999, with solar, kitchen, point-of-use Paloma heater, propane cooking, mini-fridge.  Just a moving tiny-home we can use while scouting at first.  It's been on Craigslist for a while so if it's still on when we make the quantum leap to the mostly off-grid frontier.

Mostly off grid cause we'll still need internet connection to run the independent businesses, but there are areas where you can go 100% solar with < 10 grand for the land and still get a hook up.

The 3 and 5 year old keep talking about all the chickens and goats and cats they'll have over there, lol.

• Like 3

On 11/14/2016 at 2:41 AM, TwiliteMinotaur said:

The 3 and 5 year old keep talking about all the chickens and goats and cats they'll have over there, lol.

Now that makes me feel old! But in a good way.

So I missed the notices about this great new board.  It is lovely, and great to see you all again away from the hubub of twitter.

I guess first, I feel like I should apologize to non-USians for what we have unleashed upon the world. We fed the Gremlin after midnight or we said Beetleguese three times or something.  

There all 100 explanations for what happened floating around, but from what data we are seeing the answer is not too hard.  GOPers voted for their guy, Dems voted for theirs. More on that here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2016/11/10/2016-was-an-ordinary-election-not-a-realignment/

It also means that the same people that voted for Bush and Mitt and all the time said they were not racist or anti-semitic or whatever were perfectly ok with those labels when it mattered.  All of these #nevertrump fucks can eat me, you set this table now you want to act horrified by what you cooked up.

Real impact is tough to foresee, because the new guy has shown no interest in actually governing and his nominees are incompetent.  He has to appoint about 4000 people to different positions, 1200 of which require Senate confirmation.  For a long time after he takes office the Obama people will still fill many of those posts.

The impact on Xeno is tough to see, but the general talk has been to keep the ACA (Obamacare) and tweak it a bit.  I have read some of the 10-K filings from hospital companies and read stuff from the insurance companies and the positive impact of the ACA on them is significant.  At this point a lot of very big companies have made very large investments in people and facilities based on Obamacare, that kind of thing matters.  Some protections on pre-existing conditions for example may be eliminated.

The GOP does want to kill medicare, and turn it into something very like the ACA, which was a GOP plan in the first case.  Irony should be painful.

On my own patch, consumer protections from predatory banks and other financial firms are going to take a huge hit.  It's too soon to tell, but buying a home in a lower income or minority neighborhood is going to become even harder.

There is an upside, boogerhead noted this could lead to a return of great political punk music. 

We have been working on some cool web tools, this is a beta of one intended for the policy folks, it shows lending and banking by Congressional district.  If you have some input on how to make it better let me know.

http://ncrc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=62d55f69ca0f48079680e0796f5c8250

• Like 3

Edit! Hi! {hugs}

I'm feeling shitty and being unproductive for over a week now, fuck.

Um. I might be getting married. No fucking shit.

One inconvenient thing (for staying on good terms with my parents) is that she is trans. I really doubt my parents would be happy with this. I know it might seem silly to blab about getting eloped on a public forum, but... erm... well, the NSA (or 4chan, or even employers) probably wouldn't find it too hard to connect this pseudonym to my read ID, but my parents are not at all tech savvy.

Well, I admit the fact she has Canadian citizenship is factoring into this--we might be moving to Montreal. I'm, we're legit good friend, too--known each other since college.

It's... obviously a big fucking decision, tho--both the getting married thing, and the moving thing. My head is fucking spinning. FUck.

• Like 2

Welcome Edit :)

Xeno, Montreal is a big change from the West Coast! it would be good if you can get a job...Canadian work permits can be tricky, so make sure you research that. Also, Canada counts common law for stuff like health care but I don't think it counts for residency? but I may be wrong. Seems like a long time since I was looking all that up for Pigkilla. Montreal is a pretty laissez-faire place as far as trans persons/couples as far as I know, so that wouldn't be the worst place to live with a trans person at all. I mean Justin marches in Pride parades. But my tall M-to-F friend gets a lot of harassment in Vancouver, more I think than any of us expected.

Is your friend M-to-F? don't even tell your parents if you're worried about their response. She's a she, and it's none of their business and even though I know you're largely ambivalent about your parents, why make them upset?

It's a coward's way out I guess, but I know all about keeping my gob shut to try to avoid family discord.

• Like 1

Yeah. Again, this is all from certain.

Yes, my potential fiancee is M-to-F. Potential Ms. Xen0phile :P

The big thing is, again, we might not even go through with this. Like I said, I am still pretty clueless about WTF I am doing, still want this all to be "reversible" at this point, in case I decide it's *not* the optimal thing.

Part of my motivation is I'm just getting fed up with living with parents. THey're not abusive, or anything--I mean, shit, they house and feed my 31-y/o dumbass for free-- just fucking getting tired of being around them.

I have a job interview for a local-to-Seattle job coming up, and if I actually do get that one, I will stay in Seattle area (though move away from home).

Xeno, you are a restless soul, and I think a real-life change would be good for you.

Edit... Wondered where you'd got to. Twitter's unusable for me. I follow just 50 people or so, and I finish up with 1000 tweets in my backlog every time I look, even if I look every couple of days. I don't know how GreatDismal is going to find time to write another book. TheWGB is much more relaxed and relevant. Have you been posting in the old WGB all this time and getting no reply?

Edited by gil
didn't want to start a new reply
  • Like 1

The thing I worry about is that, looking back, it seems like every time I attempt something new and exciting, nothing good comes of it. I *do* realize that my self-perception may be very distorted toward viewing my history negatively, but nevertheless:

1. Walmart was a total fuckup

2. interning with local non-profit was total fuckup

3. interning in Palo Alto was a total fuckup

So... my planning has kinda assumed a really conservative/risk-averse lifestyle. I dunno.

@gil: I just did an experiment on my phone, using TweetBot, where I filtered all retweets out of the timeline. Amazing how it humanizes Twitter again! If people care enough to actually post a comment and not just RT something, it's usually about their life or a personal photo instead of being about politics or disasters or what-have-you.

On official twitter you can now mute terms or hashtags...if you wanted to get rid of all references to "trump" e.g. I can imagine that stuff is particularly overwhelming for a non-USian. Turning off all retweets will also largely accomplish that but it will also (in my case, at least) mean no @darth and lots of other cute things that I normally post without commentary. It's hard though. I know I'm posty as fuck at the best of times, which this clearly isn't.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's mostly a desperate attempt to at least keep up to a small degree with people's actual lives without being snowed under by 500 new tweets when I wake up in the morning, or if I don't get to look at it throughout the day. The sad thing is that that is my "minimal list" too! Just the people I really want to follow. God knows what is happening on the full follow list! 😱

• Like 1