Garage_Rubin

2 hours ago, TwiliteMinotaur said:

Man, that is rough Xeno! Careful out there!

I've never gotten mugged myself but I look much scarier on the street than I am.

I guess it was a "strong-arm robbery" that is, the attackers were unarmed.

My brother (15 years old) was with a friend, but, I guess, there were also two of the robbers.

7 hours ago, TwiliteMinotaur said:

Man, that is rough Xeno! Careful out there!

Yeah, what he said.

7 hours ago, TwiliteMinotaur said:

I've never gotten mugged myself but I look much scarier on the street than I am.

It's the Terminator FX makeup, isn't it?  I like how you accessorize.  ;-)

Cheers,

Patrick.

Here I am, at Chicago airport, trapped by a late arriving Iberia plane, watching the rolling wreck of Brexit develop in flames. Surprise indeed, but bound to happen sooner or later.

Add tornado warnings (fifteen hit close to the airport today) and storms, that remind you of those areas marked as tornado safe (those without windows close). A relaxing evening.

The saddest shopping options I have seen in years. The worst chairs to try to nap. At least there are plugs spread around to recharge our now compulsory electronic toys. As an extra pain, you only get 30 minutes of flaky free wifi per gizmo.

Leave is the big story here. My petty discomfort and the loss of six hours of my life does not mean much compared to all that represents. I have always blamed the French and Dutch for failing in 2004. This is England being as it is, because nobody showed them other way. Right now, our holidays, just when we had decided on a return to Scotland and some days of guilty pleasure in London, we have to wonder if change will happen quickly or slowly. It has been coloring many other things, as it was even a matter of concern among the Wisconsin feed experts that we were spending the days talking with. Their main concerns are actually that Europe may react by closing borders, and also that it may end with a strong dollar. Selfish thoughts, but proof of how everything is connected.

• Like 2

I have the next day and a half to finish a book I'm ghost-writing for someone, that has a trainwreck for an ending as of now, and whose finished product will probably be read by someone I respect as a writer.

No pressure!

I'm basically buying All The Rockstars And Monsters You Have (/Ron Swanson voice) at the nearest 711, locking myself in my writer's cottage (a multi-generational co-hab filled with CNN and Nightmare before repeats -- but with loud headphones on).  I'm not letting myself out until the fucking piece of shit mutherfucker is coherent and done, and I'm posting this here as a nail in the coffin in case I try to make a break for it and jump off the nearest bridge screaming something about hanging colons and dangling love interest threads.

Let's do this!

@Garage: Haha, yeah, it's all in the Terminator makeup. It gets really weird when I pump gas at a new 7-11. Although sometimes I get it free if I ask in just the right Austrian accent.

Edited by TwiliteMinotaur
  • Like 1

Finished the f*** book, yeah!  I've written a lot of short stories in my time, but this would be my first novel.  Now it's just a matter of one last grunt-work cleanup pass, and get all the copyright, back-cover blurb, and all that jazz set.

Also, I am about 75-90% finished with a certain royal portrait for a certain patron who is a regular on these boards.  I've already put about 6 hours or so into it but it has definitely been worth the time. Dare I say, majestic, even.  

It will be out shortly.

• Like 5

Got accused of scraping / denting someone's bumper at a restaurant we frequent. Like the guy just came up to our table and was like, "Do you drive a white Toyota?  You hit my car."  Had to go outside in the middle of dinner with the kids and wife and everything.  Really irritating, suffice it to say we didn't hear or feel any sort of bang on the way in, and there was no paint transfer onto our car.  Also, I was able to easily wipe away the 'paint' on the guy's bumper with my finger and not much pressure.  Guy claims to be military and has been in Hawaii for three days. Also claims that the car is his, brought over from mainland US.  I was under the impression that it takes at least two weeks for your car to come over usually?

Anyway, the guy had shit for evidence.  No eye witnesses, no cameras, nothing. Just the fact that my car is white, and there is white stuff on his bumper. The guy called 911 to get the cops and then told the cops what happened.  The cops seemed to think the guy was an idiot or just didn't believe him, and pointed out the fact there are no witnesses, and no real physical evidence connecting our car to the guy's scrape.  

The guy kept insisting on doing a police report or something and kept arguing, in the rain, with cop, for the next half an hour or so.  Two other cops came down. I got back inside and all of the waitresses and the owner were talking about it and apologizing to me and the family (we eat there like at least 2-4 times a month) and said to forget about it.  I felt bad for the guy, having three cops flashing lights in front of his restaurant- that can't be good for biz.  

By the time we went back in, paid the check, got the kids washed up and left, the cop was waving her hands around exasperated, still talking to the guy and trying to explain some sense into him. 

Oh, and when I said, "We would've noticed the hit," he responded: "Well, maybe you just lightly brushed by and didn't notice."  Right, hitting hard enough to scrape foot-long streaks of paint and cause a (separate) dent can happen without anyone noticing?!  And then he suggested, "Maybe you opened the door and hit the car when you opened it!"  OMG!! Like I open car doors like I'm Thor swinging his hammer around!?!?  But the best one was, "Well, maybe you opened the door while you were driving and whacked it into my car!" 

*facepalm 4 days*

Edited by TwiliteMinotaur
  • Like 1

The holiday plans are finally crystallizing, in that way they usually do suddenly, with some help from the WGB in navigating British peculiarities. We have downsized them a bit, so rather than the full Atlantic, we cross only the Bay of Biscay. Rather than the Simplon Orient Express, we will be taking the Caledonian Sleeper. There are still some luxury events in the offing, to use the savings from the sterling free fall and from the less extravagant travel options.

So, second half of August, Scotland and London, though we will cross by train the Leave territory without stopping.

Cheap flight in to London, a first night there, and then one day in before taking the train to Ft William, where we will take a car for some Skye, Highlands, and Fife gallivanting. A couple days at Edina, hopefully with some WGB minimeat, and then back to London for shopping, culture, and some temperature acclimatization before flying back home.

A fellow obsessive friend that I have mentioned before, the baroque guitar player obsessed with Federico Moretti, player, composer, general and spy, is thinking of visiting also Scotland those days, to get driven along Aberdeen, Dundee and Banff, as the then Count of Fife corresponded with the musician and the records are not digitalized. She is eager to know if it was related to his work in Wellington's staff, or if there may be some musical information tucked in. She is very excited as some works from Moretti were published in London, but as both his father and brother were also composers, it may be another Moretti involved. So we have also a mystery tour to complement nature and nice weather. It is not sure as she is now trying to arrange things with the state of the now Duke of Fife and Aberdeen and Dundee universities to access the records.

It is fifteen years since our last visit to Scotland, thirty since the first one. I wonder how much it has changed.

• Like 2

Went with Mz.Clean, a friend of hers, and her aunt to hear some stand-up comedy.  Nice to meet them, great to catch up on how she's doing before the show.  :-)  She loves the new job, and we had some fun talking shop about some of the high-tech gear they use to strip and wax floors over there.  Some of it I've never used, so I was curious about some of the pictures she showed me on her phone.

Won't bore you with the technical shit.  She did kind of enjoy how some of her co-workers bitch about each other; probably the fastest way to learn about anyone is to listen to how others complain about them.  It's familiar, and she never takes sides.  She also got some advance warning that way, about someone who's known to be verbally abusive to newbies on that crew [this means her, unfortunately].  He's been reported before, has a record of doing this kind of thing, so he's on very shaky ground to start with, and had better not try that shit with her.  Fore-warned is fore-armed, and all that.

I also got hugged, twice.  If this is the friend-zone, I could get comfortable in it, might even decide to live here.  :-)

Cheers,

Patrick.

• Like 1