The WGB
Sign in to follow this  
Garage_Rubin

So what happened to YOU today?

3 hours ago, editengine said:

OK, poll time.

If I tell you to "get back to me by Friday" does that mean I want to hear from you

1.  On or before Thursday

or

2. 3pm on Friday afternoon?

I'm confused, today is Tuesday.

Generally speaking, probably #1.

In the context of the modern work place where most coworkers (present company excluded of course) don't pay attention, you should expect #2.

" A programmer is going to the grocery store and his wife tells him, "Buy a gallon of milk, and if there are eggs, buy a dozen." So the programmer goes, buys everything, and drives back to his house. Upon arrival, his wife angrily asks him, "Why did you get 13 gallons of milk?" The programmer says, "There were eggs!" "

I once got in an argument with my wife who asked to order a pizza that was, "half with ham and pineapple and half with onions."  She was upset when the pizza had just onions on one half, just as she requested.

In this case, I thought I was being very clear.  But 90% of people I asked said they would interpret my statement to mean "end of business on Friday".

Well, the other intern candidate was very pleased.

In my experience people tend to parse out what they feel like are the important bits and ignore the rest.

You said "Friday," so that became the deadline regardless of your intention.

If perhaps you'd said something like "No later than Thursday," the desired outcome might have been achieved.

In the case of the pizza, I interpreted that the same as you.

Edited by s.smigiel
  • Like 1

Dad had the tumor cut out of his abdomen today. They originally thought it was a secondary tumor from a metastatic primary, but now they think it might be the only tumor?

I'm trundling along. Not really enjoying life. Managed to have not shot myself yet, FWIW.

I try, I *try* very hard to not behave like a dipshit 12-year-old nihilist, but, why oh why are any of you having kids? Why the fuck condemn a sentient being to this shit?

Miserable, horrible day. Got up with a distracting pain in my leg (cramp in the night). Even getting up at seven, nearly missed the to-be-signed-for package because I couldn't limp to the door in time. Beryl had to get it. Next, a power cut. The fishpond, as it does every power cut, started to siphon from the top pond to the lower pond causing overflow. By this time, it was pouring with sleet, and high winds. Because I've got a cold, Beryl had to rush out with a cork to plug the overflow pipe. As it got dark, Beryl found it hard to make preparations for a much-delayed lunch. I was about to fetch the candles when the lights came on. Come to think of it, it was Beryl who had the miserable, horrible day, but somehow she is triumphant at her heroism, while I am profoundly depressed.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, db said:

Give her a nice shoulder rub for her efforts and you will both feel better ❤️

I did so, and we thank you for the suggestion.

• Like 3

We've been dealing with the Younger Minibot entering the "Broken Bone Club" for the past few days. (The Older Minibot, you may know, entered said club almost 5 years ago now by breaking both bones in her leg - a terrible experience for everyone that involved multiple re-castings). 
Younger Minibot had a fall a few days ago and in the process of falling both bonked his head and hit his arm. We were much more concerned initially with his head, as you are, and after the crying stopped and we confirmed that his face/head was okay, he seemed pretty much fine - so we decided to keep an eye on his arm. 
It didn't swell immediately, and he seemed pretty good over the next while. Any time I asked him about his arm, he beetled at me through his brows and muttered that he was fine (yes, our 4-year-old is actually a grumpy 84-year-old in a child's body). 
But yesterday we were talking and realized that he was still favoring that arm, and then he tried to open a sliding door with that arm and burst out crying - so off we went to get x-rayed. 
I'm pretty sure that the ER register nurses and the first RN we talked to thought that TM and I were being overprotective helicopter parents because Z was laughing and talking and being a perfectly normal little guy, even using the hand to hold things, etc. 
And then they x-rayed it and the nurse came back with an icepack to put on his arm so he'd hold still because yep, we were right, it was broken! Luckily it's all in place and will heal up great. His cast appointment is tomorrow! 

48385465_10162243462910347_7045271735960076288_n.jpg

• Like 2

Got a big blue cast! 

This kid, though, we're going to have to watch him - aside from immediately following the actual fall when he cried for a good 20 minutes and needed help calming down, he has been basically normal. Building Legos, playing outside with his sister, running around the house in circles, eating (even ramen and soup!) with his left hand no problem. His pain tolerance is higher than we knew! 

48388013_445888689568213_3602200543012847616_n.jpg

• Like 1

Back in Tampa for the holidays, and we hit Ybor last night.  Like a couple of whores, the Girl and I wound up making out with several other people before ubering home to pass out.

My conversion to creepy middle aged swinger is nearly complete!

• Like 1

We are all just coming out of our turkey-induced comas.

This has been a stressful trip in some ways.  The monster-in-law has been particularly nasty this time, and the Kid is old enough to know that grandma just isn't a very nice person so she doesn't like to be around her.  The Girl has had several altercations with her as well.  Her FB friends are telling her that it is time to cut off contact, but that is easier to tell somebody than to actually go through with.

I remember tortured Christmas dinners. We're too old for them now.

Beryl and I ate alone... Tournedos Rossini*. We didn't have room for the Xmas pudding afterwards.

* Toast, a layer of pate, a fillet steak, all covered in caramelised onions and a brandy and cream sauce.

Edited by gil
  • Like 1

We had a quiet Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with just the four of us (and the cats). Clam chowder for Christmas Eve lunch, popcorn and cocoa while watching a Christmas movie before bed on Christmas Eve. 
Pancakes & bacon for Christmas breakfast after stockings, ham dinner for Christmas lunch, and a trip to the ocean cliffs that afternoon rounded out our celebrations. 
Now TM's family is visiting from O'ahu for a week so we're swept up in their whirlwind.

• Like 2

Happy New Year, everyone. That may ring hollow in some households, I fear, including our own, where it seems we are amid a string of unresolved problems, including both our health. On the bright side, we can look forward to the launch of Agency.

Edited by gil

Let's all hope that 2019 is better than 2018!

Glad to know you all.

Happy New Year to all.

This year I have traveled a lot, (56 plane trips, and also both train and car trips) for work. And more than usual, for pleasure. That means there is a lot to do at home and in the office, and less time to visit here. My online presence, except Linkedin, has practically disappeared. I expect things are better personally this year, even if globally they may become worse. A looming crisis has that effect.

A new WG book usually helps to bring us together, so I hope we can all see the publication, delayed though it may be.

Good to hear it, very much the same here.

If the US government shutdown doesn't end this week we can expect to start seeing some serious disruption.  Mortgages won't close, infrastructure projects won't start, trade will slow.  Too much of this and we won't be waiting until 2020 for a recession as we have kind of been expecting, it will happen this summer.

Broke my hand recently pickaxing into lava to plant a field of Hawaiian land taro (what they make poi and lau lau from). One hand typing and mousing sucks, but at least we'll have food when the gov shutdown bullshit halts the canned good shipments out here.

This elevates the difficulty level of internetting and gamedev to "expert", but also increases appreciation for the use of one's appendages.

Got a comfrey poultice wrap around, thanks again, garden.

Ow?! Hope that heals up quickly and well, Twi! 🙀

Spent literally one and a half movies (call it 3.5 hours) backing up iDevices, upgrading them to latest iOS updates and then transferring everything from my mom's old iPad to her new one. On the bright side, did get to hang with my mom for an evening and enjoy some decent movies…

• Like 2

They cut out some of the cancer from my dad, but I guess there's still some left. He's going to get chemo now. And, of course, I guess he could still die soon. Okay.