The WGB
Sign in to follow this  
Garage_Rubin

So what happened to YOU today?

2 hours ago, Gustavius said:

HBoots; you run two Twitter accounts? Me too - but my reasons for it have changed over the years. Mastadon? Yep. Used it for a week and forgot about it. Too lazy for revolution.

Yeah, I run a private one for just approved friends and a public one to rant at corporations and Tim Cook and such. My dream is to be able to someday be able to set a default privacy level for Tweets, but edit it on a per-tweet basis. (Kind of like Mastadon.)

My glorious victories for the week were finally repairing my mountain bike tire, getting a new night riding battery and installing a new bulb in my projector so that I can actually see stuff in the shadowy parts of the film again.

Regular readers may remember that my frequent walks take place on Hankley Common, which serves as Army training ground and movie location (Skyfall, The Man from Uncle etc.). Today it was too cold for the above activities, so I had it to myself. There used to be a path alongside a field, leading onto the common, which meant I could be on the common in four minutes. Then, 3 or 4 years ago, someone bought the field, and blocked off the path at both ends. This added nearly a mile to any walk. Despite numerous pleas, the path remained closed. A few people in the neighbourhood (ourselves included) got up an application to declare the path a right of way, on the basis it had been in use for 20 years. Eventually, early this year, the application was granted. Nevertheless, the path remained closed. Today, for the first time, I found the path open. The field owner has walled the path with 400 yards of old doors, so it's like going down a corridor, but what the hell, I didn't want to look at his field anyway, though before he took it over it was the haunt of badger, rabbit, fox and deer.

Edited by gil
  • Like 1

Oh man, I feel for you on that one. As part of the mountain biking community we are forever in those kinds of fights with new land owners as the cancer that is Tucson continues to spread remorseless and unstoppable across the surrounding desert. 😿

5 hours ago, gil said:

...The field owner has walled the path with 400 yards of old doors, so it's like going down a corridor...

That sounds like an excellent photographic opportunity.

Around my neck of the glob, the pestilence is mobile.  Asshats with ATVs and the like, shredding the landscape, silence and clean air at their noisy leisure.

2 hours ago, Gustavius said:

That sounds like an excellent photographic opportunity.

I agree. I'll take a camera next time!

06:40 : Power cut. It's pitch dark. No power, no heating, guests coming for lunch.

08:00 : Still no power. Cold breakfast in the near-dark. Bucketing rain.

08:30 : And there was light, power and wifi. It takes these little incidents to remind one that candles and camping stoves are just one power cut away.

Today... Snow. My ten minute journey to take a crashed computer to the repair shop took 40 minutes, and they were closed when I got there because the owner couldn't get in. He arrived while I was still contemplating the CLOSED notice on the door. South of England drivers can't cope with snow. There were idiots spinning around and failing to climb hills out of sheer stupidity, and several cars and a bus needlessly abandoned. My early ice-driving training in Scotland and Sweden was of little use in the face of the traffic chaos.

They closed one of the 4 gates onto the base where I work for two months due to construction. Today it took 30 minutes to make it through the line to one of the remaining working gates…

😿💥🔫

Slight crosspost from Creative Endeavors: 

42xycOr.png

NEOFEUD MADE IT TO THE TOP 100 INDIES OF THE YEAR! Thanks everyone for your votes and support! Neofeud can now use your vote again in the final round for ultimate indie of the year on IndieDB! Represent the WGB! :D

http://www.indiedb.com/games/neofeud

EDIT: Top 100 out of 2,204 games!

Edited by TwiliteMinotaur
  • Like 3

I'm really liking Mastodon, the decentralized P2P social media platform. The people there are just a lot better, more mature, and, well, smarter. (Also, they pay a lot more for Neofeud than they need to, especially because it is available on Linux. :) ) 

http://mastodon.social/web/accounts/259792

Also, voting is over, at last! Thanks WGBers who voted for my game on IndieDB. Not sure when the winners will be announced exactly, but crossing my fingers that Neofeud beats Cuphead, however unlikely! :D

Edited by TwiliteMinotaur
  • Like 3

Just did another podcast today! A bunch of folks have been asking for a podcast that can be subscribed to with RSS. I don't have a webserver, so does anyone know of an easy way to host .mp3 files for free? I tried using Google Drive but that won't work.

• Like 1

Heh. I got a domain name (via GoDaddy) + server (on AWS)--I could totally just host them there. *shrug*

http://boomzilla.me

Do you just want them to be downloadable, or, like, actually play/stream from the server? If it's just downloadable, it's as easy as me uploading them, and sending you link.

For streaming, uh, I dunno. I don't actually listen to a lot of PodCasts. Maybe upload to YouTube (yes, I know it's for vids, but I use it for pure audio--music--a lot).

EDIT:
oh, I missed, "that can be subscribed to with RSS"

Okay, for RSS subscription, maybe, uhh, one of the blogging sites?

Edited by xen0phile
  • Like 1

I realize my site is *really* bare-bones--I plan to add some CMS software later to make it look more nicer. But, for now, just text + white background is all I really need.

(one more, then I'll stop spamming), but there are multiple competing cloud server hosting options for small-timers like you or me. I *think* I'm using AWS (Amazon Web Service) for free/gratis. I'm embarrassed to say I'm not 100% sure (I *did* give them my debit card info), but I think, if you're small-time enough, they charge you all of $0.

"Lightsail" is the specific AWS product that is for web hosting like this. If you feel like checking it out yourself.

Ok thanks Xeno for looking into the hosting and the offer. I will see what the best course of action is. I upload all my podcasts to my Youtube Channel and that seems pretty easy cause there's infinite upload space and bandwidth. (Plus you get pictures).  It's just some guy wanted to listen to it from iTunes or something and apparently some people do that so I was thinking about RSS.  I honestly prefer Youtube as it's just a lot simpler and less steps for me. Will look into it more though.

• Like 1

Doing some garden alterations. We've got a contractor doing the main job, but in the last two days, Beryl and I have shifted a ton of 40mm slate chippings and a ton of 20mm pebbles. Not just moved them, but cleaned them and delivered them where they needed to be, including clearing a 20 meter stretch of waste area and laying Geo membrane where necessary.

Backs hurt. Hands ache. Sense of pride in achievement very high.

• Like 2

My BP was 161/101 today.

Folks. I'm not gonna live to see 50 (I'm 32 presently). Whether or not I eat a bullet is irrelevant, probably.

I've just given up.

Get a grip, Xeno. Maybe your quack thinks that BP is unusual, but it's not. Half the males in the Western World are in that category.The 101 is a little troubling - it should be lower. My advice, and I'll be surprised if your doctor hasn't already suggested it, is to take 3 or 4 healthy walks per week - half an hour or more and brisk. Not only will it improve your BP, it's good for the mind, too. And take music along, but something soothing... or an audiobook (which is what I do). I had my first heart attack in 1979, and my second in 1987. 30 years on, my BP is still not ideal, but I'm 76, and whatever I die of, it won't be high BP.

• Like 2

I do walk about 60 kilometers a week (I work in a warehouse, picking items for mailing to online customers). I still weigh 310 pounds (I'm only 5-foot-7). 

I have a bad combo of anhedonia meets shit executive function. Been wracking my brain about what to do about that, whether it involves drugs or some other thing. IDFK.

4 minutes ago, xen0phile said:

I have a bad combo of anhedonia meets shit executive function. Been wracking my brain about what to do about that, whether it involves drugs or some other thing. IDFK.

To clarify: I already take escitalopram and aripiprazole for depression and autism, but I dunno if I need to change that, or what.