The WGB
Sign in to follow this  
Garage_Rubin

So what happened to YOU today?

Packing for our holidays. We will be 12 days, half in several Belgian cities and the other half in Paris. There was a time we went at least once a year, but we realized whie planning the holidays that the last time was seven years ago, though I have been a couple of times forbusiness it is not the same thing.

The advantage is that we have already done all the typical things, so we can relax and just enjoy the city. There are some personal traditions to keep, but that makes things more personal.

Though she is roughly half my size, my wife has filled an 80 liter case, while I hope to fit everything on a 30 liter cabin case. We will fly to Charleroi and then move by train, including the return from Paris, so luggage size is not so critical, but we still must lug it around. Topical, I know, but still true.

Windows 10 is killing me! I'm actually writing this on my phone now as the damn Microshitware has restart for the fifth time in the past twodays.  It also crashed right in the middle of my livestream while I was painting a new background for the new game, and when I finally got back to the desktop *fifteen* minutes later, the Wacom tablet do given had stopped working, so I was mouse painting like a schmuck, and everyone who was in the stream were long gone. Oh and I also lost the painting I'd been working on.

Then, just as I had figured out how to get the stupid Wacom back up, 3 Google searches, 4 UninstallerS and 2 fifteen minutes restarts later, as I take a bresk to get a coffee, Windows decides it's time to do a 3-jour, multi-restart massive overhaul of the entire operating system, to "help me be a better creator".  

You know what would help me be a better creator?  Not getting technologically mutilated and psychology assaultrd by my fucking operating system! 

Then,

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

[Twi] You are not the only sufferer from Win 10. WE repeatedly suffer from incompatibilities, surprise updates that screw up stuff that we thought was stable, the latest was our ancient Schedule plus application from Windows 97, which butterfingered our huge contact list.

YESTERDAY was our anniversary... I decline to say which, though numbers less than forty are not in the list of possibilities.

We rose at 6.15 and went to play nine holes of golf, returning for a modest breakfast of fresh oranges,  boiled eggs and ciabatta bread.

For our very late in the day celebratory lunch, we had: Tournedos Rossini, (our regular readers will recognise this as a festive dish we use, particularly at Christmases, Birthdays etc.) Imagine two slices of toast, liberally spread with chicken liver pate, supporting two lightly done fillet steaks, covered in caramalised onions, stir-fried mushrooms and peppers, celeriac mash and green beans. Followed by meringue nests containing ice cream and apricots in Amaretto. All prepared, at minimum cost in our own modest kitchen. Wine was Chateauneuf du Pape 2000 vintage, and Chilean sauvignon Blanc 2015 vintage.

Then we vegged out and watched trash television until midnight.

Edited by gil
  • Like 4

That sounds like our kind of anniversary!! 

Congratulations to you and Beryl, and here's to many more!:dance:

• Like 1

Congrats on the anniversary, Gil!

In other news, Neofeud has been approved for release by Steam! Yay! 

I will be announcing the Steam release date shortly, once I figure out the best way to roll out the publicity and such, to get the biggest opening possible here.

Edited by TwiliteMinotaur
  • Like 5

The anniversary goes on and on. Beryl seeks to remind you that the fillet steaks were pre-marinated in lemon juice and Cyprus brandy, and that among the onions, peppers etc. was chicory. (By the way, try chicory stir-fried with dolce latte). WE found two more fillets at a silly price in Sainsbury. So it's Tournedos Rossini AGAIN, with Gigndas 2000 and Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc  2015.

Edited by gil
  • Like 2

So yeah, I was officially divorced on Sept 12th.

Long time coming, for those who know my backstory.

Guilt and that evil stomach churning feeling of imminent death is subsiding, only to be replaced with loneliness and anxiety for my future independence given my dire financial state. Despite working every shift and much overtime for the past 4 years I'm still almost destitute and unable to afford a place for myself and my son. BUT, I'm working on it.

I'm relieved for you, Bic! glad to hear it although I can imagine how difficult it's been.

And wishing you all the best for your new future!!

Recovering today from a disc crash on our main machine. It was an SSD disc, so crash was very final. And it was the boot drive. So Windows 10 and Office had to be reloaded - all this being done by a local company - Disking - who seem to be full-time occupied in crash recovery and virus extermination. But fortunately, Beryl and I run a periodic backup to a Tb USB hard drive, and we keep copies of each others' work on our hard discs, so not a lot of data loss, if any.

• Like 3

Hahaha, meanwhile I was transferring everything over from a 2003 HD to a Samsung 850 Evo SSD for my Bootcamp drive. Suffice it to say, as with everything Windows, it was not a smooth process. I ended up having to do the Windows 10 "go nuclear" button, which nukes everything off your machine except the user accounts in order to resuscitate volume shadow copy back to life. After that, things at least started to make marginal sense (I used Macrium Reflect free version, which allowed me to expand the Windows partition and leave exactly enough space to stick the recovery partition back on at the end) and several hours later (and about 6 hours after commencing messing around with cloning attempts), all I had to do was reinstall every single app on the SSD and redownload about 200gb of games and Robert's your father's brother!

🙄💥🔫

Glad you guys had a backup at least!

• Like 2

Well, I'm speaking to you on the revived PC now. So far, the major irritation has been trying to get my machine to talk to Beryl's, and telling Word where to find the documents we've been accumulating since 1992! Oh, and this strange Win 10 thing where your optical drives are invisible unless there's a disc in them!

Oh! and I forgot that Microsoft had suspended my user account and had forgotten I already owned Win 10 and Office. They restored it only after I logged in and changed the password on Beryl's machine, then sent me two confirmatory messages, one of which had to be received on my cellphone, and as we live in a cellphone blackspot, I only received it by running around in the street, waving the Galaxy J3 over my head, and then sprinting back to the computer before the code expired. Irritating, because our landline accepts text messages on our Panasonic cordless phones, but Microsoft refused to send the text to anything but a 07xxxxx number.

Edited by gil

1 hour ago, gil said:

Oh, and this strange Win 10 thing where your optical drives are invisible unless there's a disc in them!

I *believe* you can go into the View Options in Explorer and Uncheck the "Hide Empty Drives" option to rectify this.

And yeah, their refusal to send confirmation codes to a landline is incredibly irritating...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, heavyboots said:

I *believe* you can go into the View Options in Explorer and Uncheck the "Hide Empty Drives" option to rectify this.

And yeah, their refusal to send confirmation codes to a landline is incredibly irritating...

Wow!  Thanks, Heavyboots. That worked.

Hey WGBers! I am going to be live tomorrow around 11 AM Pacific Time if any of you want to drop in and say hi. I am going to be running some cyberpunk trivia games that you will probably all win easily, and I'm going to be playing Pigkilla's music, so you should really show up just for that! It's just going to be GR and the Minibots tomorrow so if you want to get away from your irritating relatives for a second and give a cyberpunk middle finger to traditional American institutions with us, do stop in! :D

DPRfGkXVoAAvP6X.jpg:large

Here's a link to the channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/twiliteminotaur

• Like 1

Yes, welcome. Even here, I find myself wandering increasingly dusty halls on most days. Some of our regulars seem to have defected to Twitter, but I find Twitter increasingly irritating. What we need here, of course, is some action on William Gibson's new book, some meats etc. We used to be so inventive, but Twi seems to be the only one making sparks these days.

Thank you. Thank you. 

I have found myself listening to audiobook versions of Mr. Gibson's novels somewhat obsessively lately - while I apply acrylic ink and paints to various surfaces. The recent "source code" (how many such-labelled items are afloat in this unmoored world?) interview with him about The Peripheral and then Agency whet my appetite for new input. The wheel needs momentum attached to particles to turn.

It's good to be.

I also find Twitter and so many corporate eyeball platforms to be turning into their worst versions of themselves. Where's my cowboy hat?

^ That's why I've been running a public and a private Twitter for an eternity. And I have a Mastadon account, although no one seems to actually use Mastadon…

And since I'm here, had a great, stress-free Thanksgiving by refusing to go to any parties with people I didn't know and actually delaying my dinner with any family until brunch the next day. Got in a nice 40 mile bike ride and visited one party with friends on TG itself.

• Like 2

Welcome back! The board continues to be around, but, yes, indeed, it's looking more like the digital ghost-towns that will soon be the entire internet outside of Amazon Prime and Facebook promoted section, after net neutrality gets murdered.

Nothing has yet happened today, however I've been running Twitter marketing propaganda for my indie company all the long weekend and cyber(punk)Monday and boy is my Case Pollard mammalian pattern recog module tired! I need to go snort some monomers, reset my circadian rhythm, and spend all my revenue on Avocado Toast now.

But seriously, these seasonal sale thingies (Halloween, Autumn, etc) are a nice morale boost, even if it's not enough for me to retire to Hawaii, or at least a nicer patch of beach in Hawaii.

While I'm at it, remember to support your small businesses and indie creators! If for no other reason than because all AAA games now and forever will be Comcasted, microtransacted EA corporate Garbage solely to turn the entire world into digital lootbox-heroin addicts and make enough money for the rich Tessier-Weylands to build the Villa Straylight before killer finger-family videos and climatepocalypse ruins Earth!

• Like 3

I just finished Jeff Noon's A Man of Shadows and as is my tendency I'm finding metaphorical parallels. I imagine the ghost-towns of the 'net as the Dusklands in the Noon's story. In a vast city of artificially enforced day with an equal section with a kind of neglectfully maintained eternal night - the two sections of the city are segregated with a twilit dusk that pushes the two apart with an unworldly fog while also seeming to be the physical repository for the city's fear and melancholy for lost time.  Towns where our past life moments and thoughts still roam through a colourless textured structure that is at once familiar and anachronistic. A place we can still sometimes visit but not really feel at home again - like an old apartment that one moved out of years before.  Others can only be glimpsed from afar in the archives of the wayback machine.  Not to be touched but only remembered.

I'm rambling unedited. My apologies.  It's been that kind of day. I changed my mother-in-law's tires for winters in the rainy driveway and then ate too much Tikka masala.  I'm ready for bed suddenly and it's only 1pm. 

HBoots; you run two Twitter accounts? Me too - but my reasons for it have changed over the years. Mastadon? Yep. Used it for a week and forgot about it. Too lazy for revolution.

Twilight; Hawaii would so kick the ass of East Coast Canada in the wintertime. Oh not to shovel frozen shit for 6 months a year!