I miss forums

jbx

"Boards" as they're known 'round these parts.

Non-threaded and topicalized stuff, Twitter, Discord\Slack\Teams, are terrible for compartmentalizing.

Reddit and other heavily topical sites (StackExchange) are terrible for getting to know folks.

Like the WGB used to be I often think the sign of a healthy board or forum is when most of the posting is in the off-topic channels. Means folks are engaging with each other and not just engaging with the content. Creates community. Which makes things good.

Modern web kinda prevents this.

Anyway....

I miss WGB being active. I miss forums.

Modern web is kinda trash.

Anybody got any forums they'd recommend? I sometimes hit up herogames.com/forums but that's pretty niche. ;D

It probably shows my age, but I still participate in several games discussion fora, and in the comment section of a couple of blogs where each blog post and its associated comments work a bit like a forum thread, usually starting focused, diversifying and wandering aimlessly if the thread lasts long enough, before being abandoned, either because people stop writing, or because they are focusing in the next shiny thing / thread.

Most of the participants are of a similar age, and got started in e-mail discussion boards or regular digests of such posts. So the forum architecture is familiar and allows enough time and space for reasoned posts and measured responses, even if at the end of the day most posts are knee jerk responses and there are a reduced series of conversation attractors that any long enough thread will visit, from space exploration to distribution of power in the Roman republic, depending on the people involved. Here it tended to be futurism, exotic food and bathrooms, among others, but clearly they do not attract us any more.

People have been trying other platforms, and other grognards (grumbling veterans) have tried and even enjoyed inventions such as Twitter, Facebook Meta, Slack, and whatever is the latest promise of lots of signal and little noise, and without putting your wallet or soul at risk. I am an old dog, and even though I tried to enjoy all those newfangled inventions I tire of them in a week or two, and somehow manage to retain my interest in fora. I suspect it is some OCD switch in my brain, or the fact that usually you have a lot to read in the old archives of a long lived forum. It gives me a certain guilty pleasure to quote what I wrote in 1995, or even 2004, but that content is misplaced in the case of the previous incarnation of the WGB.

I am around Slitherine games forums, and also Chaosium, as bother are mostly populated by people with similar ages and interests to me. The comments section of Charles Stross blog gets toxic relatively quick but is worthwhile reading and participating in the first three hundred replies. I also lurk and participate in the comments of A Collection of Unmitigated Pedantry. I even take part in the Steam discussion pages of certain games I enjoy, but that is half way to reading Reddit or panning for gold in a random river. Lots of effort for a few gold nuggets. I also used to haunt several webcomics comments or fora, but I have quit that filthy habit. Too much showering required.

I also check here once in a while, but I estimate you need 5-10 participants to keep a thread going, and probably at least ten times as many to keep a forum varied enough to visit daily, so I am resigned this will just remain in a coma till the owners decide to disconnect the respirator and let it go and rest in peace.

This all seems cromulent and quite congruent with my experiences, also showing my age. ;D

Twitter and Slack and Discord being non-threaded are just incomprehensible unless you're *there at the time* when whatever the thing is starts.

Very much agree about reading\rereading old threads. But surely that's almost exclusively the domain of old heads.

I'll have a look at the Chaosium forums...