The WGB
Garage_Rubin

Preaching to the metal choir

On 7/28/2019 at 3:54 AM, Boogerhead said:

just can't stop with this....

Great band, from my not quite hometown (I lived in Brisbane for ages though so I claim it)

• Like 1

That's one band I never managed to get into. I really like their ideas, and how they're probably the closest to the musical embodiment of Lovecraftian cosmic horror. Something about their music just doesn't click with me though. It's just hard to listen to, which I guess is the entire point. 

Yeah, I definitely need to adjust my perceptions in order to listen to them. They remind me of Nasum a little, in the way they bury these beautiful structures of melody and rhythm  in a deluge of noise.

I REALLY like "Vexovoid", think it's my favorite Portal recording.

Interesting mention of Nasum there. I do like them a lot but would never have made a parallel between them an Portal. I kinda get what you mean though. 

What I like a lot about the last three Nasum albums is that they were really cleanly produced, every instrument clearly audible. With Portal the production is much more lo-fi and that makes it hard to tell really what's going on. Saying that though, I just checked out Vexovoid on YT and it actually sounds a bit better to me than their later albums. Might give them another shot. 

On production, I never really understood why (especially underground) metal fans claim that lower production value sounds better. Why wouldn't you want to make your music sounds as clear and great as it can be? I've seen this pointed at Cattle Decap for instance a lot, their latest albums apparently sound too good, too polished. I just don't get how that's a bad thing. 

• Like 1

Sometimes I object to something because of overproduction, but not too often. I think some people equate lower production values to some sort of garage band authenticity, but in this day and age that doesn't really wash. 

Gojira and Slipknot played Seattle last night and I missed it. ;(

Most folks in Seattle have been unaware of Gojira.

That changed last night. They blew everyone away.

Edited by Boogerhead

I don't know if I like the Tengger Cavalry better than The HU

But one thing is for sure, I am happy Mongolian metal is a thing now. 

• Like 2

more Appalachian metal, Twilight Fauna's "The Year The Stars Fell".

“We have been taken advantage of over and over and over again by greedy politicians,” Miller says. “Big Pharma has done nothing but destroy this place. You can see that reflected in people. It’s almost like you’re practicing necromancy because you’re trying to revive it. That’s where it comes from with me. I try to express the rebellious, sort of ugly side of this place, while still maintaining it has its own beauty.”

Edited by Boogerhead

God damn, I am excited for this Mr. Bungle, "Raging Wrath Of The Easter Bunny v.2" shit. More than the new Slipknot, more than the new Tool. It's been 20 years. I never thought I would get a chance. My favorite drummer on earth and my favorite singer on earth. 

Fuggin' sprung.

And, seeing as how both Scott Ian and Dave Lombardo have joined the shenanigans, I am betting this incarnation of "Mr. Bungle' will be all about the metal.....

It will only be three shows. I might have to take a trip to SF in Feb.

“When Mike hit me up about this my brain thought he was asking me if I wanted to come to a show, him knowing I am a HUGE Bungle fan. When I realized he actually meant for me to play guitar with them it broke my brain, I was a giggly drooling mess. Somehow I pecked out Y E S on my keyboard and holy crap I’m playing in Mr. Bungle. Seriously, it’s an honor and a privilege to get to play with my favorite ‘Mr.’ band of all time.” – Scott Ian

“I don’t know what was in the water in Eureka California, but it certainly wasn’t clean. This is going to be a ridiculously, insane band to play with and I am honored to have been asked to join the wrath.” – Dave Lombardo

mr-bungle-reunion-tour.jpg

Edited by Boogerhead