The WGB
Sign in to follow this  
xen0phile

thread of threads: fashion, sartorial, etc

FASHION (clothing, hair styling (yes, I know we already got a hair thread, but), body mods, what have you)

Kicking this off:

MY OWN FASHION is *intentionally* cultivated to be boring.

45197045454_6deb800ccf_m_d.jpg

Ubiquitous polos, cargo pants that I hope don't look too Mall Ninja-y, no body mods, shitty haircut.

I mostly wear a beard because I am too lazy to shave daily.

This un-fashion is legit itself a fashion (not so much statement but) tactic, "Grey Man".

Image result for npc meme

I don't *want* to be noticed. Not so much in the scenario of civ collapse, or over-zealous authorities; but, rather, I just want people, in social situations to not notice me. It's... it's complicated, my relationship with society.

I totally have thought, from time to time, of dying my hair bisexual colors. I am totally into women. But, I also am horny for men (and NB people :3 ).

I think sometimes I should go out of my way to look queer. (I am pretty sure I come off as straight as a Nebraska carpenter's level: I am "passable" as fuck: I think people who know me on the surface level would actually be surprised to know how horny I am for other men).

Yes, a small bit of me trying to look gayer is a strategy to get sex from other queers.

A bigger part, though is (I guess I'd call it) visibility. Political visibility, even. Yes, us queers are all over. Yes, I am (more or less) competent, yes I am (more or less) moral, yes I still want to fuck other men. If I encounter other people who reflexively/reactively make certain assumptions about the gays then, yes, maybe just maybe presenting myself as one of the gays will disrupt them ever so slightly. Maybe just maybe trigger a small (SMOL, even :3 ) cognitive phase change.

YES, I know probably the only thing that happens is the hair dye company becomes just a bit richer, but...

Image result for bisexual hair dye

here's the silly $100 jacket I ordered

Image result for the competition lower dens

By a group I ❤️ so much, "Lower Dens". Yes, they are queer as hell. 

I still, nevertheless, feel silly for spending so much. Here's the thing, tho: Lower Dens have, up to now, received absolutely no money from me. 

So, you know what, maybe just maybe, I tell myself, I should go out of my way to divert some of my own money to artists I enjoy.

That jacket is very cool! 

My own style is pretty visible - I dye my hair unnatural colors (usually green/teal with an accent color), I have a side-shave, I wear vests that I've sewn patches all over sometimes... I have a septum piercing...

Basically I pretty much just let my freak flag fly XD
There are hair dyes now that don't require bleaching before application to show up pretty brightly, and there are dyes that fade out slowly (Punky Color, Manic Panic). I started out dyeing just a portion of my hair to ease into it. The nice thing about unnatural colors is that if you mess up you can just roll with it like you meant to do it - it's an unnatural color afterall!
Another option is of course to go to a salon that does "Weird Hair" but I prefer to do my own. :) And as far as spending the money on the jacket - you're supporting a group you like monetarily so I think that's pretty great.

I wear free clothes, almost exclusively, because I resent having to shell out money for things like that.

I haven't had my hair cut since the 90's. I cut my own, but haven't done so in over a year.

Funny thing is, as an employee of a major fashion retailer, I now get some of the most amazing free clothes in the world.

Some jackets I recently acquired:

Diesel nylon motorcycle jacket (I would never pay 250 dollars for a jacket, but.... free.)

13528483_15992729_480.jpg

65.00 Nike SB Shield Coaches Jacket

nike-sb-shield-coaches-jacket-black-cool

That in itself says something. The lack of concern about trends, fashion etc., sets you apart. I had to really learn how to blend in with normal people when I was working loss prevention.

Since we live in Hawaii and the general every-day outfit choice (for the sake of comfort) is shorts & a t-shirt, most of my wardrobe consists of those options. My t-shirts are all thrifted via eBay and my shorts tend to the cut-off-jean style.

I have a couple vests that I've posted in the Creative Endeavors thread but I'm reposting here because, well, they fit. The yellow vest is my pride and joy and the one I tend to wear more often these days (it's a lighter material). 

I also got myself a pair of Docs recently - not boots, because of the aforementioned tropical climate, but secondhand fisherman-style sandals and I love them

810244216_yellowvest.jpg.4c226a33fa2241e758ecb46d5f223bf8.jpg

891440589_greyvest.jpg.173ac331de56f0caeb27c71aa8f362ae.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Reminds me of the Florida gear I lived in.  I had more short pants than long pants when I moved to MD.

I spend most of my day swaddled in bland norm-core.  But its summer now, and I can let the Florida flag fly boldly around home.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 2:44 PM, editengine said:

I can let the Florida flag fly boldly around home

Is this some kind of euphemism?

• Like 1

It's currently 30+ °C in Brussels, so I'm wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt to the office. I know this is frowned upon in the office environment, especially in fancy European lobbyist circles (which the office I'm based in when I work from Brussels technically is). But screw it... I work on websites...

Traditionally I skip the jacket at work from the 15th of June to the 15th of September, except when meeting big multinational companies or government officials. However we have had already a few days over 40ºC, so it is relaxing a bit. 

When visiting customers the rule is that you should always be overdressed compared to them. Never underdressed. Order Casual < dress shirt < dress shirt and trousers < combined jacket < suit. A tie always bumps you up one category, which is good as except for politicians and bankers even large companies are leaving it out as uncomfortable. I may have worn a tie only a dozen times this year, and usually when meeting tire companies, which are quite conservative.

Summer's here in Seattle. For the past few years, this meant I switched from a wool to a linen suit, but no more. As my current role requires a bit more dirty work, I've loosened the self imposed dress code.

Today's ensemble is:

Decade old 501s.

il_794xN.1644120881_pkei.jpg

Nike SB longsleeve t(freebee)

Nike-SB-Snake-Black-Long-Sleeve-T-Shirt-

5.11 Tactical Men's Long Sleeve PDU Shirt(leftover from LP uniform.)

SR612_BLK_1500_1.jpg

Adidas Bounce runners

Alphabounce_Beyond_Shoes_Black_AC8273_01

Givenchy meshback:

12695403_12432905_600.jpg 

Why someone like Donetella Versace feels the need to kowtow to China is beyond me. It's all just demographics. Versace has really had nothing since Gianni died anyway. Coach is just rehashed shit that ought to have been shelved in the 80's. Givenchy aren't acting very sovereign themselves. "Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité" My ass....